Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He is promising, though imo he didn't yet had to tackle big downturns, misfortunes or big pressure for that matter. Mikkelsen already has at least 2 challenging periods behind (1. WRC stop and spectator-killing crash, 2. first half of 2011 IRC season) .

Neither did Tanak manage something like Ogier when he drove WRC first time in wales 2008 and won the first stage...

Btw. remember that at the end of 2004 the two ford pilots (Martin and Duval) looked like those who will rule the sport in the future (together with Loeb), both were out of it just a year later.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ridder
    Duval) looked like those who will rule the sport in the future (together with Loeb),
    I just genuinely laughed out loud Duval never looked that good! Hilarious!

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Neither did Tanak manage something like Ogier when he drove WRC first time in wales 2008 and won the first stage...
    Tänak was not driving Citroen and his car was the one that weared those Chineses tyres first ever time under the WR Car..
    And Tänak finished his first WRC in GB in 6th place.. which Ogier has never achieved in GB yet;-)
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noel157
    True, he really takes the car by the scruff of the neck and throws it into corners. Great for spectators but as you say, needs a bit of fine tuning but that will come.
    I wouldnt say he is tooo dirty driver, but sure, he throws fair amount of gravel around.
    And this is bit weird, considering few factors from his background - he is mentored by Markko, who was quite clean driver (himself been mentored by Ivar Raidam, on of Estonias best in his time and very-very neat driver); also, he comes from fwd car, fairly low powered one also (Golf prepared by his father almost without any budget worth mentioning) and this car should teach one to keep clean lines, as then you lose least amount of speed through corners.

I remember Ott having very cool fights with another youngster in their 2wd time - Rainer Aus. Then Ott drove Golf and Rainer drove Lada VFTS - rear wheel driven. They were of quite equal speed in many rallies and even Markko Märtin chose Rainer over Ott into his team (result - Estonian champ in N-4, but no continuing relationship). When eventually both ended up with 4wd, many people tried to compare their style and find influences from their early years 2wd (but differend driving axle) cars lessons. And Ott seemed to be cleaner, thus confirming that wfd should teach you to clean style...
    :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyc85
    I just genuinely laughed out loud Duval never looked that good! Hilarious!
    Let me reword it a bit.... Duval and Martin looked like they will be the future top 3 drivers (with Loeb as the 1st one). They were beating Loeb on tarmac in Corsica (by huge margin), Spain (about same speed, but forced Loeb to make a mistake) and Duval was the only one keeping up in Germany, on gravel they made solid podium finishes.
    You can laugh as much as you want but when someone beats Loeb (THE Tarmac ace) by 1 minute over 6 stages on tarmac, he looks good to me.

Anyway, main point was that few would believe that a year later they won't be much around.

Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    Tänak was not driving Citroen and his car was the one that weared those Chineses tyres first ever time under the WR Car..
    And Tänak finished his first WRC in GB in 6th place.. which Ogier has never achieved in GB yet;-)
    Yes, in a way Tanaks achievement is better than Ogiers, even managing a 3rd best time, but it lacks the instant "wow" factor when looking from the outside.

Tanak has talent, but give him some more time before declaring him a champion.

Liked 216 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluuford
    Tanak was also not competing against some of the current fastest drivers in the WRC... Loeb, Sordo, Solberg, Hirvonen, Ogier were all out of contention. All of them you would expect to set faster times, which would place him 11th at worst... Thats not exactly a great start, its a GOOD start. But not a great start.

Especially if you compare it to 6th place by Paddon in Australia in a PWRC car!

I believe Tanak definitely has talent, but as others have said - he needs more seat time to prove just whether he is a flash in the pan or a potential future champion.

Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkvy
    Especially if you compare it to 6th place by Paddon in Australia in a PWRC car!
    Don't compare the 19 WRC cars with the 12 that took part in Australia. He was 5th behind Henning Solberg and he made a small mistake. That's why he moved down to 8th. Otherwise, he may have finished 4th.
    https://www.facebook.com/GRallynews

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    The difference between paddon and tanak is that tanak has tested himself with proper rally cars...paddon so far shows great skills with road cars on rally tyres. A group N car no matter how good or how expensive is miles away from a proper rally purpose built car.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Let me reword it a bit.... Duval and Martin looked like they will be the future top 3 drivers (with Loeb as the 1st one). They were beating Loeb on tarmac in Corsica (by huge margin), Spain (about same speed, but forced Loeb to make a mistake) and Duval was the only one keeping up in Germany, on gravel they made solid podium finishes.
    You can laugh as much as you want but when someone beats Loeb (THE Tarmac ace) by 1 minute over 6 stages on tarmac, he looks good to me.

Anyway, main point was that few would believe that a year later they won't be much around.

Yes, in a way Tanaks achievement is better than Ogiers, even managing a 3rd best time, but it lacks the instant "wow" factor when looking from the outside.

Tanak has talent, but give him some more time before declaring him a champion.

Agree with all of this. I can see hanninen becoming champion before tanak. I look forward to the battles!
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.T
    The difference between paddon and tanak is that tanak has tested himself with proper rally cars...paddon so far shows great skills with road cars on rally tyres. A group N car no matter how good or how expensive is miles away from a proper rally purpose built car.
    Whilst I understand your comment N.O.T, a Group N car is very much more than a "road car on rally tyres". Nevertheless I believe comparisons between the two are inappropriate presently. Hayden has to create an opportunity to be tested in the 'real McCoy' machinery before he can be considered a candidate.
    Tanak is a super star in the making. It's very early days but he reminds of one of my favorite alltime drivers, Markku Alen, in that he's blindingly quick but headstrong and occasional mistakes could render him the next 'best driver never to have won a championship'.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.