Page 57 of 97 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
    Liked 629 Times in 347 Posts
    Guys, it far to early to surrender.....Tanak will stand at the top on many events this season, remember my words.
    But I agree theat Kenya is going to be decisive for him. If in this Africa event he retaires again (and if Seb & Elfyin are again at the top), than it is over.

Liked 3,793 Times in 1,980 Posts
    - 2 remaining rough events (will something break again?)
    - 3 tarmac events (where he struggles with the car)

- 2 events where he does great

Not a good outlook.

3. Likes: AnttiL (8th June 2021)
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    Problems is that Ogier/Evans can be TOP3 in every rally, so Ott will not benefit 20p/rally
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

5. Likes: cali (7th June 2021)
    Liked 1,129 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Yeah it's almost done for Ott unfortunately. Ogier finishing on the podium in Portugal and winning Sardinia should send fear through the other challengers.

Ofcourse anything can happen in rallying, but this is Seb. And even if Seb falters, Tanak has to overhaul Thierry and Evans too. I think he has too much to do.
    I believe the moment ogier was confirmed at toyota, everyone should have been scared. The best driver in the best car, it could lead to levels of VX dominance.

Liked 12,207 Times in 5,241 Posts
    as for a fan, its the most depressing season since 2012, as last season was short i would even say seasons, although last year wasnt half as bad as this.

while in 2012 it was his fault, not listening what was told to him and going flat out all the time, then this and last year too much mechanical/technical troubles. Of course theres his own faults too, like going flat out in Estonia with the frustration he had from previous 3 rounds and ending the rally so early, the decision to take only on spare in Monte. But the biggest and most of the points he lost in Portugal, Sardinia and Kenya.

my hope is now turned into next year cause it seems this bad run doesnt seem to end this year. Really waiting to see how the new car will come out with his influence, he helped to develop the new Rally2 car and Huttunen has only good things to say about the handling.

The only thing i hope still from this year is that there wont be any issues in Finland, i really wanna see battle between him and the Toyotas without any issues.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 16th August 2021 at 08:28.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

8. Likes: Hartusvuori (16th August 2021),pantealex (16th August 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    It's sad to hear the bitter comments at stage end interviews or between finish line and time control. Like at the end of Ypres power stage "these two years have been quite complicated".

10. Likes: cali (16th August 2021),er88 (16th August 2021),EstWRC (16th August 2021)
    Liked 486 Times in 187 Posts
    Have the same feeling as EstWRC. I'm slowly getting back this anxiety that I had during his early years. Unbelievable splits and then Becks saying in Rally Radio "Oh no, Tänak has stopped". Then it was because of some accident, now because of some technical issues.

Yesterday I was a bit daydreaming and thinking, would he now be 3x times champ, if he would have stayed in Toyota. Car that is like a tank, was well developed for Tanak's driving style... But we will never know. I'm sure Tänak made the decision that was best for him at that time as he just wanted to drive and maybe even more that his word would mean something. If he wanted something changed the way he likes it, then all the team would be behind him. If I interpreted his answer correctly in 2019? interview to Betsafe, then he even took a pay cut.

Hopefully, next year(s) would be more satisfying to watch and enjoy this talent of a generation.

yes you are right, he even took a pay cut while moving to Hyundai. The relationship was just so bad between him, Tommi and especially Mia. Im sure he wouldnt have moved if they wouldnt have been there or he had maybe even stayed if he wouldnt have known they arent there anymore after 2020?

im quite sure he would have been champ last year with the Toyota which now suddenly is bulletproof should have been in 2018 too

but shoulda, woulda doesnt count anything.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 16th August 2021 at 12:29.

13. Likes: cali (16th August 2021)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    yes you are right, he even took a pay cut while moving to Hyundai. The relationship was just so bad between him, Tommi and especially Mia. Im sure he wouldnt have moved if they wouldnt have been there or he had maybe even stayed if he wouldnt have known they arent there anymore after 2019?
    Tommi was "eliminated" at the end of 2020, a year after Tänak made his choice. However, it can be questioned whether the Toyota bosses eliminated Tommi because it was his fault that Tänak left the team.

Another interesting if-sequence is that if Tänak had stayed at Toyota, would Ogier have left Citroen at the end of 2019, and would the team have continued in 2020 with the updated car?

Do you guys think Tänak and Märtin burned the bridges to Toyota, or would they be able to return to the team now that Tommi is not there anymore?

Another interesting thing is how early Tänak and Neuville signed for Hyundai this year, and right after that the cars started breaking in the rough rallies...would they sign now anymore?

as i have heard and understood, Ogier started to chat with Tommi after Germany 2019...i think this is also the reason why Tommi waited with the contract renewing with Tänak, as you remember Ott said already in spring 2019 he wants the contract done by Finland and in that Betsafe interview he said his first choice was to stay in Toyota.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 16th August 2021 at 11:53.