Page 38 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Liked 101 Times in 37 Posts
    Not saying that his success boiled down to just Martin. For example, I agree with the points you made, I just recalled something Malcolm said.

By the way, something is brewing with the "Ott Tänak - The Movie" stuff as well. Film-makers were in Catalunya and confirmed that something new will be released soon. Whether it's a 2.0 or a different ending to the original movie, they didn't say.

2. Likes: Indreq (30th October 2019)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Remember how Tänak still "threw away" two potential victories in 2017, in Portugal and Poland. And it wasn't far in Sardegna with an overshoot on the last day. Still in Finland he made a mistake at the very beginning of the rally. Since then that hasn't happened anymore. I would claim the second victory in Germany was the turning point. After that it's been easier.

Liked 48 Times in 21 Posts
    One of the producers Aleksander Ots said in "Õhtu" that they would add "Won his first title in 2019" to the ending of the original movie, but it wont be just this sentence as film crew were in Catalunya with Ott and they are waiting for crew to arrive in Estonia to start look through raw material.

5. Likes: sinepikohv (30th October 2019),TypeR (30th October 2019)
    Liked 2,264 Times in 944 Posts
    Guys do you remember Poland 2017? Tanak was crying and the WRC rally win seemed like a curse impossible to catch because of that damn rock, and the chances running out year after year.
    Look at where he is now though. He is an example. Never give up even when everything seems lost.

7. Likes: cali (30th October 2019),dimviii (30th October 2019),EstWRC (30th October 2019),gorganl2000 (30th October 2019),MTA (31st October 2019),spark13 (31st October 2019),Tauri_J (30th October 2019)
    Liked 189 Times in 74 Posts
    I too believe that while several factors played role in Otts' maturing into elite driver, big role was in codriver change. Biggest difference between Ott 5 years ago and today is not speed, but confidence and focus which results in very few mistakes while going at his best speed. Its not widely discussed (so take this as evil rumor) but he never had such 100% confidence in his past codrivers because every now and then mistakes slipped in, even if its just change in reading pace not false note. Now with Martin he has perfect match, he has absolute trust and can focus on driving.

Which makes me wonder - how much say has Martin in current negotiations and how big would his share be? I know usually its said that codriver gets 10%, so in case of 7MEUR deal he would get 700K?

Taking into account also agents share (Märtin) and payments to past sponsors (surely Wilson, maybe Märtin, probably not Gross), also taxes, he himself can probably keep half the money, if not less. Which is still lot of money... P

9. Likes: sinepikohv (30th October 2019)
    Liked 101 Times in 37 Posts
    I just think it's a telling stat that Martin is the only co-driver with whom Ott has won events.

I've never really understood what excactly did Ott learn from Seb in the M-Sport days. Ott, Seb and Malcolm have always said that Ott learned a lot. But what excactly? I'm sure journalists have asked but perhaps I just don't remember or Ott and the others really doesn't say anything specific.

And one movie related thing as well - during Rally Estonia, it was rumoured that a film about Markko is in the making. Info came from a really good source but everything seems to be quiet on that front.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AL14 View Post
    Guys do you remember Poland 2017?

12. Likes: cali (30th October 2019)
    Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    marca.com interview out now, nothing new acutally https://translate.google.ee/translat...7278b457b.html

Q. What has been the most important season of your career?
    A. I think I started to really evolve from then on. The 2016 season, again with DMACK, but already at WRC, was, perhaps, the toughest I've ever done, but, at the same time, I'm sure that made me stronger and gave me an extra experience in that regard . I had to face difficult conditions, knowing most of the time that I would not be able to fight to win. It was very important for me to run as Ogier's partner the following year. We spend a lot of time together, I think we form a very solid team between the two. I learned a lot from him, I understood how certain aspects of our work should be carried out, and we also built a good friendship that we still have.
    (...)
    It’s great to see Tanak praising Ogier; hope Ogier haters can notice it. Btw, nice interview; thanks for sharing it.
    Rally addict since 1982

14. Likes: cali (30th October 2019),EstWRC (3rd November 2019)
    Liked 1,133 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinepikohv View Post
    I just think it's a telling stat that Martin is the only co-driver with whom Ott has won events.

I've never really understood what excactly did Ott learn from Seb in the M-Sport days. Ott, Seb and Malcolm have always said that Ott learned a lot. But what excactly? I'm sure journalists have asked but perhaps I just don't remember or Ott and the others really doesn't say anything specific.
    Taking notes, setting up the car, adjusting your driving style. Who knows what else.

Before that season next to ogier he was a good number 2 driver. By the end of it he was the number one he is today, so he must have learned something.

Liked 414 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I've watched this quite a few times : https://youtu.be/rjo-c8fwLZw

17. Likes: EstWRC (3rd November 2019)