Page 41 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast
    Liked 12,164 Times in 5,216 Posts
    nice compilation vid of the world champ going flat-out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Oo3sN-iHc
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

2. Likes: Augury (18th November 2019),ceemic (18th November 2019),dimviii (18th November 2019),gorganl2000 (18th November 2019),Jewy46 (18th November 2019),Timmy (18th November 2019)
    Liked 132 Times in 46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    nice compilation vid of the world champ going flat-out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Oo3sN-iHc
    Great video. I think it's a pity he's moving to Hyundai because of how spectacular the combo of him and the Toyota was. One of those rare perfect combinations like McRae/Impreza 555, Makinen/Lancer, Loeb/C4, Solberg/Impreza S10 etc (I'm sure there's plenty I'm leaving out) that just everything seemed at one between car and driver.

Having seen it live it looked like he was wringing the neck of it every time he passed, the noise as well was fantastic, flat out on the limit.

To me the Hyundai never seems as good to watch but maybe with Tanak at the wheel that will change. Let's see....
    Last edited by Jewy46; 18th November 2019 at 12:20.

4. Likes: Augury (18th November 2019),EstWRC (18th November 2019),pantealex (18th November 2019)
    Liked 1,878 Times in 734 Posts
    The video i put together from this year, he's inch perfect everywhere!
    https://youtu.be/11mB2mVAAmo
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

6. Likes: cali (18th November 2019),EstWRC (18th November 2019),gorganl2000 (18th November 2019),Timmy (18th November 2019),tr4m (19th November 2019)
    Liked 1,544 Times in 663 Posts
    https://www.delfi.ee/a/88160167

Basically a preview to a longer story which will be published tomorrow.

Few key moments:

- Märtin is saying that already 2018 there were crisis within the team and it was not the best environment to be in

- says Ott made a bold decision to sign with Hyundai and team up with Neuville

- all cars in the WRC are good and have won stages and rallies

- it was very difficult decision to leave Toyota

- Hyundai is the only real factory team

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

8. Likes: Allez Andruet (24th November 2019),AnttiL (24th November 2019),EstWRC (24th November 2019),Oops! (25th November 2019),Portimao (24th November 2019),TWRC (24th November 2019),TypeR (24th November 2019)
    just wanted to post this, i hope the longer interview is good one tomorrow but usually it isnt. The reporter says that all the reasons will be revealed tomorrow ,yeah right...

just longer sentences what cali already put here

Märtin said:
    "There was a small crisis in the team (Toyota) last year and the environment hasn't been the best. Despite that, the work was done and the results came. It was a tough decision to leave because the manufacturer is involved in rallying at a high management level. But at the same time it was a private team like M-Sport. We can call Hyundai the real works team"

On Tänak:
    "It was a decision that required balls - to go to the team where his main rival (Neuville) has been for a long time. I believe it's the right place for him and he gets to do his own things. Time will tell.."

10. Likes: Allez Andruet (24th November 2019),AnttiL (24th November 2019),cali (24th November 2019)
    Liked 1,587 Times in 720 Posts
    Actually I'm quite surprised that they got at least something from Märtin. Usually he avoids Estonian journalists.

12. Likes: cali (25th November 2019),EstWRC (24th November 2019)
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Actually I'm quite surprised that they got at least something from Märtin. Usually he avoids Estonian journalists.
    Actually that's why I posted it here. If it would have been any other person or any other story I just would have ignored it. It's very rare to get something out of Markko Märtin.

https://epl.delfi.ee/wrc/pikk-interv...et?id=88159671

The whole story with Märtin. Don't have time to translate it right now but this interwiev is a direct blow to Mäkinen and his leading abilities.

Have a nice read!

15. Likes: EstWRC (25th November 2019)
    Liked 1,587 Times in 720 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    I read it, it's good, argumented view from insider, and I got the reason - it's response for the shitstorm from Finnish media (or to their sources like Jouhki, to be precise). It's Clarification and view from the other side.

I leave translation to someone with better english. But one is for sure, it will be translated to other languages by media also - starting from Finnish media.

Markko Märtin does not understand why the Finns needed to throw stupid lies in the media about the new contract of Ott Tänak.

Ott Tänaks new-season contract was as important a topic in rally-writing media as the debate over who will become the world champion. In the end, it turned into a saga that lasted for months and ended in an ugly ending that ended with the transition from Toyota's racing team to Hyundai. “Ott already said in April that he would like to decide things quickly about the future so that he concentrate doing his things this year. Unfortunately, there are always two parties in a contract. You can really want it, but if the other side doesn't move at the same pace, things will not move on, ”says Markko Märtin, a mentor of Tänak, during the talks. “Our first thought was Toyota, but we also looked around. Ott was clearly the first choice man, he didn't have to wait for anyone and he could decide what he wanted to do. ”

According to Märtin, team selection decisions are very complex. What matters is the conditions offered, the technical capabilities of the team, the person leading the team, and so on. “In addition, we are talking about predicting the future. Things that are today may not be so tomorrow and we will find out only the day after tomorrow, ”he says, adding that the whole process was made uncomfortable mainly by misinformation thrown by the Finnish media. It went crazy after realizing that Tänak could leave Toyota. “It was very unprofessional to speak in that way. Why they did it, I don't know. Apparently they tried to show that everyone else was at fault, not them. What was the benefit of going personal and lying… just blacking out other people. ”

Markko Märtin, it is said that for you and Ott the Toyota team door in the service park has now closed. Is it so?

Don't know, haven't heard. We didn't make any moves that were wrong and ugly. The decision was negative for Toyota, but all the options were presented to them that the outcome could have been positive. Nobody fooled anyone or made any circus. Ott was out of contract and could decide what he wants.

Finland's so-called "super manager" Timo Jouhki rated your and Tänak's work getting a new contract unprofessional.

I wouldn't overestimate this star managers sayings . Jouhk's last world champion was back in the last century and it was Mäkinen. After that, Marcus Grönholm came from the opposite camp and, but despite Jouhk's opposition, got his chances. Later, only money-buyed drivers have got seats and the careers with talent drivers been been messed up. I would not rate this career anything special.

It turns out that some men have an aura bigger than they really are.

If you have a lot of money, you can buy everything and succeed before others. However, this is not possible when you are leaving Estonia. With Ott we have worked with minimum resources and tried to make the most of it. It's very hard, but in the same time more cooler.

So what happened with the Toyota team? There were a lot of rumors about how things got worse over time and people started to leave. How much did it all affect?

Last year was a small crisis for the team and the environment hasn't been the easiest. Nevertheless, the result has come and the work has been done. At the same time, it all played a part in our decision. The decision to leave Toyota was difficult because as a car manufacturer, they are involved in rallying at management level and they want to do the big and right thing. However, it was a private team, as was M-Sport. Hyundai can be considered a factory team.

How big was the controversy between Toyota factory bosses and Tommi Mäkinen, who led the rally team? I guess they didn't have quite the same interest.

The claims that we bypassed Mäkinen and communicated directly with the Japanese are pure lies! The Japanese were at the forefront of all decisions concerning drivers. They had the will to continue with our collaboration, but the team's management couldn't convincingly suggest that continuing there was a good plan. In the end, the factory pays money, but they do not deal with everyday life.

So where did these stories come from?

You have to ask those who wrote such crap. In fact, most of what the Finnish media threw into the air was wrong.

How much of your purchase was affected by Toyota's numerous technical issues? After all, Tänak was repeatedly dissatisfied.

Certainly there were too many problems and they affected Ott's result to a lesser or greater extent. We had to think about whether this is normal or whether we would like to experience it in the future or we have had enough.

There was no hope for things to improve in your opinion?

You never know what the future will bring, everything can change. You can still decide on what has been and what the feeling says about the future. But it wasn't convincing enough.

How much discussion did you have with Mäkinen?

There were many discussions, but it is certain that no one fooled him. Mäkinen could have done a deal with Otti if he had wanted it on the right time.

When was the right time?

When things were on the table, for example, in August and September, there were still opportunities. However, if the goalkeeper goes to the bench at some point in football, there is a high probability that the opponent scores.

It turns out that Mäkinen did not really want this agreement.

Hard to say, but if I had wanted such a driver then I would have done things differently.

What did you expect from Mäkinen then?

The normal approach is that things can be done reasonably and efficiently. Claims that Ott demanded number one status in the team ... there never wasnt such a demand! Speed shows who is first in the team and who is second. Ott was able to win his title and his wins this year without the support of the team. Sometimes it made me wonder why this is so. Had they had more sensible approach, the manufacturer's title would also have been won quite easily. Unfortunately, Ott only had to rely on himself, but he did it.

How should things have been done then?

Just like Andrea Adamo did.

So the Toyota team lacked a bit...

Everything is relative. If you don't want to win titles, you don't have to set anything. If you want the best for your team, you can do it differently.

Did you insist on a clause in the contract so that Tänak could fly a private jet to the rally?

I wouldn't go into the details. It is a continous activity that demands and questions were asked and if they werea nswered with no then you move on. There wasnt a single thing where we said we only want it this way and if we dont get it then we dont care. If there has been a will to agree, then we had done so. Much has been said that our decisions were only based about money. It was not! Even two years ago, Ott's decision to go Toyota was not motivated by money, rather the opposite. So this time step was not a financially motivated decision either. However, Ott has been the fastest man of the last two and a half years and why shouldn't he have a good contract?

Toyota was not ready to pay enough then.

I said it was not a financially motivated transition. After all, teams understand that Ott needs to get his maximum right now. The financial number was not a problem from one side or the other. Inside everybody knows what the price is.

The opportunities and conditions are more important then.

That's the whole package. You have to be happy with the decision you make. That your athletic expectations will be fulfilled and that the people you work with must fit. It's not cool to go to work if the environment isnt good or the environment doesn't want you to be. After all, the decisions made only by money will still not work.

What made you realize that the Mäkinen team doesn't really want to keep Tänak in their team?

I can't say there was only one thing, but you can see if they really are behind you and do the maximum for you. You can sense how the rallies are planned and whether this vision is the same or different.

Rumours spread that you actually had the ambition to lead the Toyota rally team.

A mega foggy rumours were invented ... like all those other things. The same rumours were that i want to represent R5 cars. In fact, this is all nonsense invented by the Finnish people and thrown into the media. I certainly do not want to lead any team, nor is there any weight at the bowl with the R5 cars. That would only mean sweat, and the revenue in the contract could be measured only by some commas. We have been working with our team for 15 years and this is not something that should be taken to extreme decisions.

It is strange why these stories came about so much.

I have the same question myself. This is an idiotic thing that happened. People who are likely to know about this commented, but they lied to the media. However, those who knew should not actually have shared such information at all.

Toyota was half an Estonian team: Tänak drove, Estonians worked.

Having the base in Estonia is a good tax decision, no other content and sense isnt there. Actually it is rather difficult to run a rally team in two places. The Estonians working in the team are still ordinary mechanics, and no one has been raised to the second level. It is purely a Finnsh team.

How much of the rumours affected the negotiations?

The stories went quite bad in the end, but it's a recognizable handwriting. But there was no point from the media being upset that they were being fooled. If you ask the same question every two days, nothing will change. No one can say anything until things are agreed.

When did going to Hyundai become a reality?

They were in the picture all the time. Like I mentioned previously about the soccer goalkeeper - it happened when the goalkeeper hit the bench.
    Last edited by EstWRC; 25th November 2019 at 07:50.

18. Likes: Allez Andruet (25th November 2019),AnttiL (25th November 2019),Augury (25th November 2019),cali (25th November 2019),dimviii (25th November 2019),eib1 (25th November 2019),er88 (25th November 2019),gorganl2000 (25th November 2019),Japé (25th November 2019),Jeppe (25th November 2019),logic (25th November 2019),m-ast (25th November 2019),NOT (25th November 2019),pantealex (25th November 2019),Rally Hokkaido (25th November 2019),the sniper (26th November 2019),TWRC (25th November 2019)