Page 26 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,195 Times in 1,078 Posts
    I believe that every team wants Tänak but which are willing to pay enough ?

TGR probably offers more than enough money but how much less than that he is ready accept ?
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantealex View Post
    I believe that every team wants Tänak but which are willing to pay enough ?
    Citroen has Ogier and Lappi, Hyundai has Neuville and Loeb. I doubt they are willing to pay what Tänak wants. I think Tänak would be very happy to just continue with Toyota. Their service base is in Estonia and Tänak has his own business there with MM Motorsport. The car also seems to suit his driving, but it just keeps breaking. M-Sport would be further from his home and they couldn't probably offer the same salary as Toyota. It's a different question if his performance would be compromised in the Fiesta.

3. Likes: pantealex (4th May 2019)
    Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Chances to win the WDC dont last forever. If the Toyota's reliability stops him winning this year its a big call to sign up with them again when he could go elsewhere.

M-Sport is the obvious option, even if for just one year...

5. Likes: BigWorm (1st May 2019)
    Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    It's a two-horse race between M-Sport and TGR for Tänak. As mentioned on the earlier posts, Hyundai has Neuville and Citroen has Ogier. End of story.

What probably makes Tänak's decision easier, is that he knows both teams in and out by now. Ofcourse it's highly unlikely M-Sport could match TGR on the paycheck, but I don't think that will actually play too significant role here. The assumption is, that Tänak wants to win the title more than squeeze out the last million or so on the contract negotiations.

I guess he'll end up signing with the team he wants to win with the most. And based on
    - his history with M-Sport
    - his relationship with Malcolm
    - the reliability issues with Yaris
    I wouldn't be so sure it's Toyota. At the moment atleast.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

7. Likes: BigWorm (1st May 2019),Norm75 (2nd May 2019)
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Toyota without Tanak would have only a faint hope of the title.
    Latvala in 2017 form could have a chance of title, but not really in 2018-2019 form (or 2016). Meeke's best champ results is 5th, also not without a reason. The only other multiple winner is Mikkelsen, but based on end of 2016 and also recent history, doesn't look like Tommi wants him. Even if he did he also hasn't shown he can charge for title.

As titles (both) are what Toyota is in for, this would be a big problem.

Msport without Tanak would still keep doing what they are doing, getting some decent results as PR with "cheap" drivers and earning money from other activities.

Therefore Toyota will throw in everything they can to keep him. Judging by the numbers he could be offered 15-20 mil EUR/year at Toyota and probably something like 5-10 at MSport. On top of that Toyota could make written promises on huge sums going into car development.
    So for Tanak to switch to MSport he'd basically need to have car issues on every 2nd rally between now and Finland as well as old issues not getting fixed. It's still possible, but not very likely.

Liked 945 Times in 513 Posts
    I think those sums are a bit "out of space".
    +-Toyota is fast, sometimes unreliable
    +Ford is also quite capable in good hands, definitely more reliable
    +Toyota has more money to use for development and salaries
    -M-Sport has less money
    +Toyota is located close to his home, one half is practically at his home, which means more precious time at home
    -M-Sport is a bit more far

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Toyota definitely offers bigger salary, plus better development and like mentioned here already, one of the facilities is here in Estonia and second one just over the sea in Finland, plus endless testing in Finland.

But still he has less time for the family, because he has so many PR duties while being in Toyota, which he didnt have at M-sport and this is what Ogier also loved over there, less PR duties and more time for family.

Fiesta isnt the fastest machine but it was definitely the best overall machine in 17 and 18 IMO. Needless to say He knows the team so well and he is the one who developed the car from the scratch.

Toyota, well, i think we all know how the situation is with the car at the moment (and this is actually the only downside compared to M-sport) and i wonder how long his patience lasts. Plus, i think what also MAY (just my thought) bother him is that Tommi doesnt make it clear who is the number one in the team. Like in the beginning of this year, it was said out that all three may fight for the championship, the same was last year. While in Hyundai its clear Neuville is the number 1 and the same is with Ogier at Citroen and was in M-sport.

so in conclusion, i think he wont move from Toyota BUT if the car fails again in the next 4-5 rallies, he may say to himself: "Thats it, i have had enough."
    Last edited by EstWRC; 1st May 2019 at 21:02.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Worth remembering Msport always hit a wall with development. When they bring new cars out they're always one of the best if not theee best, but they can't maintain it vs other teams. Why would that be any different this time?

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    Worth remembering Msport always hit a wall with development. When they bring new cars out they're always one of the best if not theee best, but they can't maintain it vs other teams. Why would that be any different this time?
    Well, in Rally Sweden Suninen was leading, in Tour de Corse Evans was leading... You cannot say the drivers of M-Sport are better than those from other teams... So at this point, how can you fairly say the car is not as competitive as the others?

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    This is something I mentioned a few times before as well. First 1-2 years their car is typically one of the best if not the best, then it kind of stops. So question is if the current pace is just "leftovers" from Ogier's time at MSport or if it's a sign than they use the funds spared after Ogier left to stay at pace. (Wilson claims this)

14. Likes: er88 (2nd May 2019)