Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    What do you think?
    I think that's a wonderful idea! Count me in!
    Satakymppi, oikee yks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartusvuori
    I've had this idea of making a book about the most famous and most respected rally stages. I think that would be nice to read and also nice to learn about. So - why not trying to make a community effort? We have now these photobook companies that print out books for reasonable prices. I've used Blurbto make my books and I've been happy with their quality. Some 200-paged hardcover (25x20 cm) w/ dust jacket cost about €50 - and if you order it with some promotion code - they often have -25% codes - it's even better. And it would make an online shop once published.

Is this a silly idea? We have the knowledge. We'd take 30-35 stages, each presented over 4-8 pages or so with pictures, a stage map and the story, it would fill up the 200 pages. Stages could be from each round of WRC and IRC 2012 (stages not necessarily run in 2012) and then few from WRC rounds not included in 2012 (Safari, Australia, for example) and some national or ERC rounds.

This would be absolutely non profit, the book would cost the cheapest option where ever we would choose to print it (I would recommend a service like Blurb's, each book printed at time, no printruns, no financial risks). We would need free pictures from the stages (on and/or off rallies), stories written about the stages, their history and meaning and perhaps someone with good handling of some graphic program to provide simple stage maps. Plus someone natively English speaking to proofread it all. I'm willing to coordinate as long as there wouldn't be any tight schedules expected.

What do you think?
    I'd buy one

I think the Panzer platte arena in Germany would have to be one of those stages aswel!
    Starting off with why it was there, world war two horror stories etc, then show pictures of Duvals horror story in 201
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Ouninpohja from Finland would be an easy choice, just like Panzerplatte from Germany. But what would be the other stages? I know the images but I don't remember the stages... Monte Carlo, Turini? Sweden, Sågen? Or Colin's Crest? New Zealand, Whaanga Coast? Of course! But what's the name of the Catalunyan stage with the hairpin in front of the high bridge, Argentinian stage with the moonscape ending, Sardegna stage with the big jump - or that Turkish stage with Mentos/Saliyk jump? Jordan's Baptism Site for a historical story? Deep ditches in Ypres? The challenge of Pindula or the atmosphere of the best super special stage in the world of Zlín? The -40 degrees temperatures of Arctic Rally? The mist that M-Sport couldn't see in Bulgaria? The damned last SSS of Poland! Now where were the huge crowds in Portugal in the late 90s when Loix had his one off-shine in WRC - or Latvala his multiple rolls? Or those multiple jumps in Australia, or the one with the deep water in the end? Now, what was the name of the stage when Sainz lost in all in '98 GB? Corsica and Henri Toivonen, do we need to go there? Acropolis - there must be one stage that destroys more cars than others. What about Sanremo? Valais, Var or Jänner? Lõuna Eesti ralli? Safari for crying out loud!?!
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Theres a very good tribute to toivonen on youtube where the guy walks up to the wall they built where toivonen came off, Ill try and find it....
    Ha'wey Hamilton, bring the WDC crown home and the beers are on me :up:

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    That´s a very good idea. (Besides I´d think someone could write a book of all the classic stages in 1000 Lakes/Jyväskylän Suurajot/NORF as well - a book with so many memories)

But of course the book you´ve suggested will become a classic if it will be for real. I´m in and try to write some lines of some stages. You could well become personal in writing.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper
    That´s a very good idea. (Besides I´d think someone could write a book of all the classic stages in 1000 Lakes/Jyväskylän Suurajot/NORF as well - a book with so many memories)

But of course the book you´ve suggested will become a classic if it will be for real. I´m in and try to write some lines of some stages. You could well become personal in writing.
    Do you have this one? not a bad book, UserCom - Publishing
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi
    Do you have this one? not a bad book, UserCom - Publishing
    I´ve ordered it. Thanks!
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    I finally found something.

Part 3 from 3:02 to 3:17. Looks like the place I’ve mentioned. I remember seeing it from a different angle.

Kenya Airways East African Safari Classic

Beginning of part 3 is from day 4 and by the route map I think this spot is somewhere on the Mbulu hills around Lake Manyara.

Looks like this spot. Nice scenery. Maybe I’ve should added the thread name also spectacular stages.
    I found it too:
    WRC Rally Championships 'In the End' HD - YouTube
    right at the beginning of the video.
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas