Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts

Re: R5 News

Quote Originally Posted by RICARDO75
    Very nice
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HaCo
    Very nice video of the 208, awesome rally car! I miss Monte Carlo from when it was IRC.
    So do I. For the last couple of years it has been "just another event" whereas in the IRC years it was really something special to look forward to.

The 208 is looking a lot better now than on Ypres. if Kris doesn't get the Citroen WRC seat hopefully they will put him in ERC with the 208 as compensation

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    Can you explain what you mean by that?
    Hopefully I don't write garbage below...

When there is some momentum (pushing throttle or braking) it turns things. When the wheels are flying there is no other opposing force to the engine/brakes than the inertia of the bodyshell (and transmission friction looses). A car has quite huge inertia so the body rotation is not so big like for example with motorcross bikes where playing with throttle or brakes in jumps is crucial.

Regarding engine rotation I believe it was Mitsubishi which turned the engine when coming from Evo III to Evo IV with the target to make it jumping better.
    I still don't follow tbh

You mean they physically turned the engine, from transverse to longitudinally mounted?

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts

I thought major role while jumping is played by aerodynamics (rear wing). Of course how driver approaches the jump is even more important, but doesn't it also aerodynamics related So when driver approaches on full throttle, the released down force "kicks" the car in front
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv
    I thought major role while jumping is played by aerodynamics (rear wing). Of course how driver approaches the jump is even more important, but doesn't it also aerodynamics related So when driver approaches on full throttle, the released down force "kicks" the car in front
    before Finland one of the top drivers (forgot who) said you have to release the trottle just before the jump, otherwise you will end up like Novikov (with the yellow-black Citroen)

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSon
    before Finland one of the top drivers (forgot who) said you have to release the trottle just before the jump, otherwise you will end up like Novikov (with the yellow-black Citroen)
    That's right, and it was related to aerodynamics as far as I remember
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

The aero package of Fabia S2000 and the test car is basically same. It can not make so huge change in behavior from nose diving to nose rising. It's impossible. For me the only explanation is engine rotating opposite.

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Can you explain what you mean by that?
    Hopefully I don't write garbage below...

When there is some momentum (pushing throttle or braking) it turns things. When the wheels are flying there is no other opposing force to the engine/brakes than the inertia of the bodyshell (and transmission friction looses). A car has quite huge inertia so the body rotation is not so big like for example with motorcross bikes where playing with throttle or brakes in jumps is crucial.

Regarding engine rotation I believe it was Mitsubishi which turned the engine when coming from Evo III to Evo IV with the target to make it jumping better.
    I still don't follow tbh

You mean they physically turned the engine, from transverse to longitudinally mounted?
    No that would not be permitted in the rules or even physically possible without the length of the front over hang changing radically. I imagine Mirek is referring to a 180 deg rotation of the engine not a 90 deg rotation. Correct me if i'm wrong Mirek

Yes, exactly, I meant 180° rotation. Possibly no rotation at all as the base engine is different one (2.0 FSI for S2000 and 1.8 TSI for R5). Maybe each of the stock engines rotates in different direction. I don't know.

Liked 140 Times in 86 Posts

It might have a lot to do with the weight of the engine too. Difference in weight will of course alter the weight distribution...