Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens

By the way, I don't think 1997 Benetton would have been uncompetitive if Team Schumacher had all stayed there. Pretty much the opposite. :
    Quite so, don't underestimate the impact that Schumacher had in 1994 and 1995, it's quite possible he would have kept that going in the 1996 and 1997 seasons McLaren would likely have taken the titles in 1998-99 due to Renault's departure. Assuming Renault actually decided to leave the sport when they did.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

2. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    I am not a believer of an alternative universe theory where every decision creates a new universe, etc - however, if that did exist - just think of the millions of different F1 outcomes there could be!
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

Liked 193 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezza
    I am not a believer of an alternative universe theory where every decision creates a new universe, etc - however, if that did exist - just think of the millions of different F1 outcomes there could be!
    Quit so. "The impact of the broken window".

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But Vettel would still win in the end
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    But the discussion is still very interesting, and thank you for having started it.

7. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Thanks, Ben. What strikes me most about F1 history, certainly in the older eras is how fate determined so much - from mortality through to simply choosing the right decision - being in the right car at the right time. Chris Amon for instance was a great driver, but always seemed to go a team when it wasn't quite at its best, and therefore never took a win. One decision different, and he could have been a champion, never mind just a race winner!
    Niente è vero, tutto è permesso

9. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing in motor sports

F1 spelt backwards is if - Murray Walker

11. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Thanks, Ben. What strikes me most about F1 history, certainly in the older eras is how fate determined so much - from mortality through to simply choosing the right decision - being in the right car at the right time. Chris Amon for instance was a great driver, but always seemed to go a team when it wasn't quite at its best, and therefore never took a win. One decision different, and he could have been a champion, never mind just a race winner!
    I am especially pleased to see an interest being taken in F1 before you (or I) were born, and in an enlightened fashion. Nowadays a lot of modern 'fans' would dismiss Amon as unsuccessful, a loser, etc, when in reality both are miles from being the case. I don't believe one can be considered a true enthusiast of any sport without appreciation for and knowledge of its history.

13. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    In terms of "fate" I like to think about drivers, how would their careers have panned out and how would they be viewed now in an alternative scenario. Either with the choice of a different team or the teams themselves would have performed differently. Looking at Button, it certainly creates some thoughts, as he has had two different kind of careers. Until 2008 in midfield, being written off as a consequence. But since 2009 three years in a top team on the trot, creating a completely different view about him. But as we remember, his career was close to coming to an end with 2008, had Brawn not saved the team. Without this "new" career he would never had the chance to create a new impression.

Had one team gone on to being successful instead of the other. For instance, had it been BAR-Honda (or Toyota) instead of Renault, who went on to build championship winning cars in mid-noughties, what would it have done to the careers of Button (Trulli) or Alonso? Heidfeld is another popular case - no top cars, no wins, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    But Vettel would still win in the end
    Which leads us to this... Had BMW-Sauber gone on to become a true top team instead of Red Bull (which around 07-08 seemed far more likely), Kubica could be considered as a true great now and Vettel could still be in midfield wondering, when is he going to get an opportunity to really prove himself at the top level.

15. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    I love this kind of discussions. Cheers for starting this Bezza Some of my own favourite 'what ifs' would be:

Vanwall/Lewis-Evans: The very first constructor's champions. Vandervell's deteriorating health and a season marred by the death of promising upstart, Stuart Lewis-Evans damped the spirits of the team of subsequent entries proved unsuccessful. Had Lewis-Evans not died, could the team have found the energy to bring the 1958 championship into the following season? Or, if the team had still folded, would Lewis-Evans find a drive in a top end team?

Mercedes: After the 1955 Le Mans disaster, Mercedes decided to withdraw from all motorsports - an understandable but perhaps, unfortunate decision. Their two season in F1 proved to bring very impressive results and I'd guess that if they'd remained part of the sport (assuming the Le Mans incident never occured), they would have remained one of the big teams of the late 50s and carry that momentum into the 1960s. Hell, they would probably be a manufacturer right up to today without fail - I'm guessing their budget would suggest so.

Alessandro Nannini: Nannini was beginning to show some real speed by the time he suffered a career-ending hand injury in 1990. Maybe not world championship material but certainly a multiple race winner if he was to remain with Benetton. Would his presence at Benetton have affected the unknown quantity that was Michael Schumacher during the 1991 season?
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

17. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)