Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IRC to merge with ERC

http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/i..._championship/

It looks like the IRC will merge with the ERC in 2013. This would be great since EuroSport is in a lot of homes across the world. Maybe by then there will be 1.6T's. IRC has had events that had ERC status as well, so this could work out. 2013 is likely since IRC and ERC have finalized their 2013 schedule. It's possible, but I think it's likely going to happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It could be two possible results - ERC will raise it's status and will be more interested drivers to take part. Or most of drivers would better join WRC.
    For now it looks that Eurosport just closes IRC and takes care of European championship. Anyway I is International, nor European.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrytskyy
    It could be two possible results - ERC will raise it's status and will be more interested drivers to take part. Or most of drivers would better join WRC.
    For now it looks that Eurosport just closes IRC and takes care of European championship. Anyway I is International, nor European.
    I don't see it like that.... more that IRC stay similar to what it is and take the more accurate name of ERC. IRC gains FIA championship status and maybe a few extra drivers and ERC gains a strong media partner and hopefully therefore a much better supported championship.

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Motorsport News report today that an announcement on the merger is imminent.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just a name change for IRC? How many rallies on the schedule?

Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    The Azores are an European region.
    2009 IRC Pickems Champion

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    According to what a friend wrote on Czech forum the merge is done. There shall be 14 events divided into two half-seasons. Best four results of each half will be counted, altogether eight events. Basically same system which is used now in ERC but with more events (it was probably hard to say bye bye to so many organizers from both championships).
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If that is true (and I would be surprised), we can watch the current IRC and ERC Calendar. There are 17 different countries in both series, so some will be cut. Maybe Italy can stay with Mille Miglia and San Remo, and Portugal with Madeira and Acores. So which Rally could be fix:
    - Ypres
    - Barum
    - Valais
    - Ireland
    - Corse
    - San Marino
    - Mille Miglia
    - San Remo
    - Acores
    - Madeira
    - Cyprus
    - maybe Canarias or Asturias
    - Poland
    and one of Jänner, Croatia, Bulgaria, Sliven, Bosphorus, Sibiu or Yalta.

Only Races from the current calendars. At the end the Organizer with lots of money will be exist, anyway a difficult selection ...

@ Mirek: Do you know if that new series will be supported by Eurosport with TV Coverage again? If yes, then the money will select the races.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I know nothing As I wrote it was a friend who posted that on Czech forum and yes, he wrote Eurosport stays as promoter.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 827 Times in 374 Posts
    Can't be bad I think, because both championships had different competitors to do the season so that will be all packed together and probably it will be more prestigious now that some drivers and teams will be maybe more interested to participate!