Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Snow Tires

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    And 'wherever' is usually the correct form. If you are to lecture others on language, better make sure your own use of English is up to scratch. I feel sorry for the original poster who asked a perfectly polite question.
    It's my fault for not prefacing the question with 'After you work yourself into apoplexy over the US spelling,'
    But I thought all the English speakers elsewhere had culture and education to go with their fancy accents, could get past the difference and provide useful information.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    It's my fault for not prefacing the question with 'After you work yourself into apoplexy over the US spelling,'
    But I thought all the English speakers elsewhere had culture and education to go with their fancy accents, could get past the difference and provide useful information.
    And I'm sure some will.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Greg, what car are you driving?
    I get the feeling that the requirements for your vehicle are different than the Michelin Ice-somethingorothers that we've mounted on the family mini-van : .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 76 Times in 56 Posts
    Not sure if you really wanna go there, but there's about 24 pages of stuff in this thread from about a year ago.

http://www.motorsportforums.com/showthread.php?t=136181

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    They do change a bit year to year but thanks for the link; I'll take a look. This is for a seven year old Subaru that uses the stock 205-55-16 size, though I'm considering narrowing the size to 195-60-16. It will under report speed a small bit but isn't too serious.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I feel sorry for the original poster who asked a perfectly polite question.
    Me too because it is being cluttered up by clever dicks who think they know what's what. When in reality they are mostly clueless.

I know of some UK available winter tyres not sure re USA though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Greetings from the UK. I use winter tyres on my Volvo S40 SE year round. The rim size is 205/ 50/17. Tread wear is higher than that of summer tyres, but that is to be expected due to the softer compound utilised. I keep a close eye on tyre pressures and have the tracking checked twice a year to maximise tyre life. I neglected to do this once and paid the price. I shredded the front pair on a round trip to Finland and Sweden in February 2010. They were Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme (their spelling, not mine) and performed brilliantly on snow, but you have to be a little careful when there`s ice or ice under snow. The car has stability control and abs, so I`m sure that helped a lot towards the sure footed feeling.

Incidentally I am of course refering to unstudded tyres. My current tyres are Nokian WR G2, just fitted ready for Scottish skiing season, Roger Albert Clark rally and Rally Sweden 2012. I`ve used Michelin Pilot Alpin, Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme and Nokian in the past and my choice is Nokian from now on. Why? Best price and longevity. The looks on the faces of those who use summer tyres, slipping and spinning wheels on snow and slush, as you breeze by at 40mph is priceless.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dyfi1
    Greetings from the UK. I use winter tyres on my Volvo S40 SE year round. ....
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Goodyear ULTRA GRIP 8 195/60 R15 88T
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-20 175/65 R13 80T
    Linglong Radial 650 Winter Hero 175/65 R15 84T
    Kumho XLKW23 185/60 R15 88T

Few recommendations from MyTyres.co.uk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Well, UK summers don`t last that long, and the temperatures rarely get that hot, and depending on where you`re located it can snow anytime from October thru May. Scotland had a dusting of snow just a few days ago on the higher parts. Mostly the snow doesn`t last too long, but while it does, I keep moving. My folks live in Perthshire so I get good use out of my winter boots visiting them. The Highways people can be slow off the mark gritting too, so untreated roads prove less of a problem.