Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Company Car

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    As I ask this, realize that as an American, I don't know what models are or aren't available there... or what they cost. But what about the Mitsubishi Lancer, on which the Evo is based? And another would be the Subaru Impreza. What about that? One thing that my Microsoft loving friend, Daniel, and I fully agreed on was the soundness of Subarus. Does the Impreza come in a diesel model over there?

But with all that said, I have seen pics of the new Focus and it's a very sharp little car!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    As I ask this, realize that as an American, I don't know what models are or aren't available there... or what they cost. But what about the Mitsubishi Lancer, on which the Evo is based? And another would be the Subaru Impreza. What about that? One thing that my Microsoft loving friend, Daniel, and I fully agreed on was the soundness of Subarus. Does the Impreza come in a diesel model over there?
    The Subaru EE diesel is as far as I'm aware the only Diesel boxer engine in production in the world. It was an option on Impreza Mk3 but I haven't seen it on Mk4 yet. (http://www.subaru.jp/)
    There is now a 1.5L petrol variant as well as the 2.0L in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    But with all that said, I have seen pics of the new Focus and it's a very sharp little car!
    I hope that Detroit doesn't decide to smack up the Focus III with the ugly stick like they did with Focus II. That weird chrome thing across the grill looks hideous; too many fold lines in the bonnet and below the window line. Bleargh!
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Well looks like I'll be going for a 1.6 TDi Fabia. I was pretty restricted on what sort of half decent stuff was available within my budget. When you allow for the maintenance and 15k miles it jumped things up quite a bit, especially as the boss would veto anything that wasn't diesel/had great MPG. The DS3 spec I wanted was silly money and the Focus was a bit out of reach. I looked at the Fiesta but once I saw the figure of 16.9 to 62 for a 1.6 TDCi I didn't bother looking any further. Not sure if that's accurate but TBH I'd rather have the Skoda anyway.

So in the end I've got a fairly decent car that's probably the same in terms of chassis/engine as the 1.6 TDi Golfs that other people at work have (which are surprisingly quick). Also the base rate of it was fairly cheap, which meant that I could get a higher spec than I would with the other cars. Firstly A/C is standard and then added Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, heated seats and different alloys. None of it is amazing but I'm going from driving my own car and paying about £2500 a year in fuel alone (without considering insurance, tax, MOT, tyres etc.) to having a car which costs me about half that in tax, is brand new and maintained. TBH if the boss had given me a bottom of the range Kia Soul then I'd have been extremely grateful.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Personally my choice of next car is a Focus. The new ones look quite nice.
    I sat in one today in a showroom, not bad looking on the outside, pretty desent interior as well, altough compared to a Opel Astra, they look almost identical, the only difference was the "silly bulges" steering wheel of the Focus.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    Well looks like I'll be going for a 1.6 TDi Fabia. I was pretty restricted on what sort of half decent stuff was available within my budget. When you allow for the maintenance and 15k miles it jumped things up quite a bit, especially as the boss would veto anything that wasn't diesel/had great MPG. The DS3 spec I wanted was silly money and the Focus was a bit out of reach. I looked at the Fiesta but once I saw the figure of 16.9 to 62 for a 1.6 TDCi I didn't bother looking any further. Not sure if that's accurate but TBH I'd rather have the Skoda anyway.
    Good choice. I tested the Fabia Estate recently with the 1.6 TDi which has a healthy kick strong enough to keep you out of trouble even if you won't be scaring the vRS boys in a hurry. In the end went for the Octavia estate due to space but the Fabia is still a bargain especially with the 20% off deal.

The only problem is the waiting list, you're probably looking at a delivery date around March/April for the Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    The only problem is the waiting list, you're probably looking at a delivery date around March/April for the Diesel.
    Thanks for raising that issue, it lead to me changing my mind. Looked at some Skoda forums this morning and people were posting about waiting 9 months (although more typically quite a bit less). Contacted the lease company and was told approximately 14 weeks. This would not only take about £700 of my money in fuel but would also mean renewing my insurance (was £600 last year as have to include work mileage). Now going for a Fiesta Zetec 1.6TDCi that they have in stock (those 0-60 figures I'd seen were well wrong :erm . It has a fairly decent spec as standard, including a heated windscreen and heated mirrors (the feature that I've missed most over the last 3 years of owning a car without them).

Looking forward to getting hold of it, I know that to many the Fiesta is a bit ****e but, as my current car is a design over 20 years old, the build quality and feel of new cars is well in advance of what I'm used to. The only thing that I think will be really lacking is the handling, which I suspect will be slightly detached. But that's to be expected, my MR2 is a delight to drive and whatever I picked was going to be a let down in that regard.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    . Now going for a Fiesta Zetec 1.6TDCi that they have in stock (those 0-60 figures I'd seen were well wrong :erm . It has a fairly decent spec as standard, including a heated windscreen and heated mirrors (the feature that I've missed most over the last 3 years of owning a car without them).
    Nice choice! Have have the same car except in Titanium trim. You're not going to outrun the Audi drivers with it, but it's quick enough for me.

Do you have any other toys with it? I have the ESP/Traction control, bluetooth, usb connection, the best bit is the cruise control but I think that's Titanium only.

I think my mirrors are heated, but I've not seen any evidence of it, the heated windscreen is great but the rear dimister is very poor!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Can't really remember what spec is coming with it, will just have to wait and see. Think the radio has an AUX 3.5mm in but no USB, probably has TC but definitely no bluetooth (the company will probably install that anyway). The one annoying thing is that I've recently got a new headunit for the Toyota that has USB in, SD card slot, BT music connection and DAB (all for £130!!). It's the latter that I'll miss most, I've really enjoyed being able to drive home from work listening to 6Music.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I genuinely don't understand why £15000 cars are on sale with music systems from the 90s. A 3.5mm jack is often listed as a selling point, for goodness sake!
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I genuinely don't understand why £15000 cars are on sale with music systems from the 90s. A 3.5mm jack is often listed as a selling point, for goodness sake!
    Back in the '80s BMW used to advertise that its cars could be upgraded to include a radio as a cost-option so bundling a 3.5 mm jack is definitely progress...