Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IRL road courses

even I am not a great fan of oval racing, why the IndyCar Series, has more and more road races in its scheudle ?? Infineon, the Glenn, St. Petersburg, and this year 2 others, Detroit and Mid-Ohio, both with the ALMS
    is it a first step to unify both open wheel series ?
    Subaru World Rally champion...in 2008 :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    God willing, but it would also require both TG and the Champ car people to stop drinking their koolades and wake up to reality.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru WRX
    even I am not a great fan of oval racing, why the IndyCar Series, has more and more road races in its scheudle ?? Infineon, the Glenn, St. Petersburg, and this year 2 others, Detroit and Mid-Ohio, both with the ALMS
    is it a first step to unify both open wheel series ?
    I believe it's an acknowledgement that the all-oval concept does not work, at least in present-day America.

Rather than an attempt to unify the series, the IRL is trying to steal...yet again...some of CC's thunder, while at the same time fulfilling the wishes of the ex-CART teams, & Honda.

All this proves is that the original CART model...with a combination of ovals, roads, & streets...was a good one, & there was no need to divide the OW world, other than 1 man's desire to control at least a portion of that world.

Today, both series have their bright spots...& their downside. ALMS is straddling the fence (which is ok, I guess) using the respective OW series to increase their respective draws for selected weekend events.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Rather than an attempt to unify the series, the IRL is trying to steal...yet again...some of CC's thunder, while at the same time fulfilling the wishes of the ex-CART teams, & Honda." HiWay Star

Oh yeah because CART (CCWS) is running so many ovals this year.

The IRL has evolved into the most diverse racing series in the world.

You can compare it to Champ Car all you want but CART in the early days of th 90s was turning into a Formula 1 wannabe, and in fact has had that status since the split. American talent couldn't earn they're way into CART on talent alone and ended up in NASCAR.

The IRL today boasts the greatest diversity of drivers covering oval, road course, karting, disciplines as well as a diversity of nationalities, and sexes. And yes, American talent ! Andretti, Sharp, Hornish, Patrick, Rice, etc.

NO ONE is stealing anyone's thunder. The IRL has made its own noise because it has an identity. An identity tied closely to the oval discipline that is the Indianapolis 500, while embracing the diversity of road and street courses.The sooner open wheel fans embrace the FACT that open wheel racing exists in North America because of the Indianapolis 500, the sooner open wheel racing in N America will unify. CCWS has no identity, just great party weekends and parades they call racing. The majority of sponsors in IndyCar are in it mainly because of the exposure of the Indy 500. CCWS has no Indy 500, no identity, no tradition, no sponsors and for this racing fan, NO APPEAL.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiWayStar
    I believe it's an acknowledgement that the all-oval concept does not work, at least in present-day America.

Rather than an attempt to unify the series, the IRL is trying to steal...yet again...some of CC's thunder, while at the same time fulfilling the wishes of the ex-CART teams, & Honda.

All this proves is that the original CART model...with a combination of ovals, roads, & streets...was a good one, & there was no need to divide the OW world, other than 1 man's desire to control at least a portion of that world.

Today, both series have their bright spots...& their downside. ALMS is straddling the fence (which is ok, I guess) using the respective OW series to increase their respective draws for selected weekend events.
    The all road racing champ car series has been a complete failure as well. Out of the four combinations tried (all oval, all road, mix without Indy, mix with Indy) only the mix of tracks with Indy as its core has worked. Quite frankly if the series is dominated by one type of track it gets old real quick.

You talk about TG being the road block to unification, the champ car guys are as much as fault. They want to unify on their terms and have a road course dominated series as much as TG wants an oval dominated series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think it was Rick Mears who said that diversity is a good thing and he supports adding road courses to the IRL-schedule, however the focus should remain on the ovals.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL

The IRL has evolved into the most diverse racing series in the world.
    So would we call it now a Corrective "Vision" or an impared "Vision"
    Can\'t we all just get along...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [quote="HiWayStar"]I believe it's an acknowledgement that the all-oval concept does not work, at least in present-day America.

QUOTE]

I think it can work. Look at NASCAR, true they have a few road races, but those are not enough to make a difference. All oval racing can work and wasn't that Tony Georges vision whan he broke away anyway? But what am I saying. I hate the Mindy Cars. I am hard core CC, I just think the IRL has the advantage in the US with more Americans.
    Champ Car World Series

FTG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagocrewIRL
    The IRL today boasts the greatest diversity of drivers covering oval, road course, karting, disciplines as well as a diversity of nationalities, and sexes. And yes, American talent ! Andretti, Sharp, Hornish, Patrick, Rice, etc.
    Danica has Talent : I thought Modeling was her talent, because she sure isn't proving it on the track
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    Danica has Talent : I thought Modeling was her talent, because she sure isn't proving it on the track
    HAHA . I bet Danica has more talent than 90% of the no names in CCWS. She has lead the Indianapolis 500 and not on some pit stop crap but lead it when it mattered. Something 99.999% of the population cannot ever claim they have done. She has enough talent to be someone who participates in a top notch racing series and a not a smart ass spectator racing expert wannabe.

I hope Danica makes you eat your smug comments with her being with a top tier team this year.

Oh and let's not forget the other American talent in the series, Fisher,Carpenter,Simmons,Foyt IV,Barron. These guys and the ones I mentioned before would have never had a ride in the old CART. Thank GOD for the IRL and thank GOD for Tony George.
    HOO HOO HOO HOOSIERS !