Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    I was of course just trying to be polite. I was aware the McCarthy book was in fact many years old (hardback) and several years old (paperback).
    It is one of the better "driver" accounts, really funny at some points, and I'm sure there is much more he could have written but was advised against by the lawyers! Sadly, Pentti Airikkala died before he could attempt his threatened autobiography that would (his words) have kept the lawyers busy for years.
    So many such books are dire because they have to try and cater to the general public as well as the knowledgeable enthusiast and fall in the middle making no one happy. I only have some of them because The Works was selling them for £1.99 - and it was still a toss up whether to buy.
    Having just "written off" nearly all popular "driver" books above, I have just read a library copy of Tiff Needell's book and, contrary to expectations, found it OK.
    Given the Forum we are on, it needs to be said there are some awful errors in some of the most respected motorsport history books, including autobiographies. As part of some research, I have just re-read a book by the accepted expert on the car model concerned and noticed blatant contradictions/errors even within the same page. Even a proof reader not coversant with the sport should have found them. No prizes for which car model, since my recent post on Rally History gives that away!

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Haven't read either but might invest in Perry's book in the future. One book along the same lines, I imagine, is "Crashed and Byrned" by Tommy Byrne. It's a "formula 1 the hard way" book in a sense. The sub-title is "the greatest F1 driver you never saw". It's interesting, rough and entertaining. Well worth a read.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam