Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bernie stuck in the past?

More rows over electric in F1 as Toyota go for record- James Allen on F1

I'm of the opinion that electric cars, of whatever type - fuel cell or mains-powered, or whatever - are the future. I'm not sure that anybody seriously believes that petrol will remain the dominant means of supplying energy indefinitely, or that we don't have to worry about what will come after "petrol runs out," any more. Obviously petrol will not run out in one big wallop, but it will become more expensive and the supply will gradually reduce.

Motorsport will have to come to terms with this too. Admittedly, electric-only in the pitlane is more symbolic than anything else, a bit like KERS today - if it were gone, nobody would really miss it. The fact that teams are developing high-performance hybrid cars, however, is surely something of great relevance to sponsors. Celebrities were great fans of the Prius when it came out, as I remember, simply for the perceived green credentials. As Bernie surely knows, Formula One makes its money from sponsors, who use it as a form of advertising. Part of the reason people watch formula one is because of the spectacle of these prototype cars. If the cars are no longer "ahead of the curve," part of that appeal will fall away.

Bernie's main argument is that electric cars are silent, and therefore dangerous in the pitlane. Admittedly, I have not been in a pitlane in my whole life, so he speaks from a position of greater authority than me. But I think he is being a bit disingenuous. Firstly, the pitlane is already identified as a place of danger. People are already aware of the danger of cars - that will not change. Silent cars will not suddenly see pitlane personnel bowled like skittles. Secondly, a car is still capable of being detected even if it is silent. People have eyes. They can use them. A deaf man is capable of crossing a busy road. Finally, even today when people have been knocked over in the pitlane, it is usually the result of driver error. To say that "people could be killed because they won't hear the cars coming" wrongly implies that the driver plays a passive role. Perhaps a lower pitlane speed limit could be employed if necessary.

So, if all that is reasonable enough, why does Bernie object to technical development? Surely there is a safety trade-off; there will be less risk of a fire in the pitlane, and presumably less risk of an accident like Heidfeld's recent one. I don't understand his position; either he is engaged in a political play that I disagree with, or he is just stuck in the past. Maybe both. He's pretty old.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    What about the car producing a specific noise as soon as it enters the pit lane and the speed limiter is engaged? To simple for Bernie to be interesting enough.
    He's way to old and should leave before they kick him out and that day is approaching fast, luckily.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    give me money money money.....that is what i say
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Isn't a horn sounded when an F1 car enters pit lane?
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Bernie's main argument is that electric cars are silent, and therefore dangerous in the pitlane.
    Solution: Rig up some loudspeakers where the muffler would be to create a synthetic engine noise.

The Warrior PTO E/2 from Need For Speed SE was electric... and it had an engine noise of sorts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hrd...eature=related
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    The concept itself is very stupid and not 'F1'. A dumb idea to show the world that F1 can be green.

If F1 wants to be green it also needs to show engineering excellence such as freeing up KERS.

If Bernie is worried about pit lane safety then go back to marshalls sounding air horns.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Honestly I simply don't want to see a trolley 1 series...
    Formula 1

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Perhaps we have to accept that Formula One, as a concept, will at some point have to die?

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Bernie's main argument is that electric cars are silent, and therefore dangerous in the pitlane.
    Just because Bernie says that he is against something doesn't mean he is. I agree that there's something political going on.

I also think Bernie is losing the plot but that is more to do with his marketing model, he hasn't been able to adapt to the internet world quickly enough and exploit the different ways of watching a race and distributing rights sufficiently well. He's also made serious errors such as pushing a Bahrain race regardless of the consequences.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Let's be honest, what's the difference for us if they are running electric or fuel engines?! None whatsoever!
    And even for the drivers there is less difference then one would like to believe, especially since they all use semi-automatic gearboxes.
    In the end the cars will still be very fast and the best driver and car will win.
    One should never oppose evolution!
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro