Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCSA Forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

SCSA Forum

Please do not delete this thread, I just want to ask an honest question.

SCSA will now be racing with the VSR's. Is there no chance of those who want to see oval racing continue in this country getting together to put together an action plan for a return to ovals next year, possibly even run a demo meeting this summer? If we put together a watertight business case, Alfie would listen. Gavin has around 20 cars doing bugger all and are worthless. Even if we just used those cars and ran the series like A1 GP or FPA, it wouldn't take a lot to convince people to join the series on an arrive and drive basis. Other drivers who have cars would surely join too, the likes of Colin White and John Steward and others.

I'm not saying it would be easy, in fact it would be extremely hard to pull off. But what people need to understand is that the series has to be run like a business, not as a hobby. The Days of Thunder years under Pover were a way forward for the series, but Rockingham simply couldn't wait five years for the series to break even with a gradual pull out of funding. So they cut it dead.

My proposal would be along the lines of two day meetings run on a similar format to Thunder Sundays. Twenty drivers would pay to race ala FPA (Gavin would recieve the money in return for running the cars). Drivers who own their own cars will drive for free, but obviously pay there own way (fuel / tyres). Music would return at no cost to the event, a leading group of radio stations would have the stage and supply the acts for a cut of the gate money, and these would all be leading pop acts such as Mika, Girls Aloud, Snow Patrol and the like - bands that families can all listen too. This group of radio stations get the bands to appear in local pubs and concerts for free anyway, so they will actually make on it. Pick ups and legends would support (as in the original format).

OK, so some people may say it's a pipe dream. Some peole may say we tried it already. But we haven't. We made a good effort in 2003 and it was paying off, then some idiot booked fifty cent and nearly bankrupted the circuit, and if it wasn't for Alfie, the circuit would be dead and buried. Since then, the series has been a half arsed attempt to survive. First to go were the professional paint jobs, then other bits started to go to save money. But so did the fans.

Jeff Carter was the best thing that ever happened to Rockingham, and the day he left was pretty much the day the series died and the start of the death of the circuit. OK, so we have BTCC and F3 back, but what is an oval circuit without proper oval racing. Sky Sports are now showing NASCAR, NASN / Setanta have the Nationwide series and NASCAR Now, Motors are showing ARCA and Channel 5 have highlights, more coverage than we have ever had!!

Let's make a proper attempt to save the series, or we could just let it die. Let's not go down the painfull road that ASA took. If it's going to die, let it go with dignity.

What harm would a meet up do?

PS. If I can't post this here, can we have a new forum on this site called Oval Racing in the UK. Thanks.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First of all, I see no reason why this thread would be closed, after all you're asking questions about the series and putting forward ideas, what's wrong with that?

There is one major issue with the arrive and drive deal, an expensive rookie test. The MSA stipulates that all drivers must pass this test in order to run either pickups or V8 Trophy which immediately cuts down the potential number of drivers eligible to take advantage of an arrive and drive scheme, there's nothing we/Duane can do about this.
    The other issue is that yes, Gavin does have a good collection of cars sitting going to waste, but he hasn't got the time or inclination unfortunately to run a squad of arrive and drive cars. He's more interested in climbing up the single seater ladder nowadays. If we want to see the West Tec cars hit the track in the future, they're going to have to be bought by new drivers to the series, there are cheaper cars available though.

For anyone who is looking to maybe run in the series, I think it could be done on a budget including buying a car for less than what a National Hot Rod costs just for the car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Racingtrivials again, ive not had much time for you since you stood me up in London when the series needed your support, you obviously dont have a clue about how the oval works now and how the series has had to work in the last two years.

once again you are dissing me big time, "IF" you was trully with us you would know whats going on in REAL time, you realy think we have settled for what we have this year dont you???

Duane, (with restraint)
    REVOLUTION RACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't know why you think we would close the thread for asking a question.

My problem with your idea is the arrive and drive. It is not like racing on a circuit. There are rules/lines/technique/etiquette to learn about racing on a big oval. When exactly would that take place?

If I was a driver, I certainly would not expect to arrive and be let loose on the oval. If I was an experienced driver or owner driver, I would not go out and race with someone I didn't know and had no experience.

I'm not sure about your economic model for the concerts. Sounds very good on paper, but in practice I don't think it would even get off the ground. Radio stations do not like taking risks.

I do agree that Jeff was the best thing to happen to the Rock, his energy and enthusiasm went beyond the call of duty.

I also agree that with the increased exposure to NASCAR in the UK, it would be great to link in with Rockingham.

I also note Duane's comments which seem to put your post into perspective.

Duane is someone who I admire greatly for his tireless energy and all the work he has put into the series for several years. I know he has worked very hard on the plans for this year, and thank him for his restraint in his post.

There is more to getting a series off the ground than posting messages on this forum. If you truly want to see your plans realised, then I'm afraid actions speak louder than words.

I for one will watch with interest...

But I won't be holding my breath.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Duane, I wasn't dissing you. It just seems that over the past couple of years, it hasn't worked. As I have got older, you start to realise how precious time is. Two years is a long time to prove a point, and unfortunately it didn't work out. I'm not saying people should not support SCSA, I'm simply saying we need to put together something else in addition. If you guys want to race these cars on road courses, that's great. But you will never get back to Rockingham doing just that.

FPA and A1 GP are arrive and drive, their cars are owned by the series and the drivers / teams basically franchise a car for the year. They turn up on the Saturday to practice and qualify, and then race on Sunday. There are also so many test dates per year. Gavins cars are worthless doing nothing, maybe he could be persuaded to lend them to the series? In return, we introduce a set price for cars like the old days and when a customer driver wants to by one, they buy from Gavin? At the end of the day, we aren't going to attract the racer guys from BTCC or other decent series. If we got 10 / 15 guys who race FPA / Fun Cup style series then we could definately find five guys who used to race Days of Thunder.

The good thing about oval racing is entertainment value, and who can remember Ashley Pover going into driver briefings telling them that. I'm not suggesting going to rockingham saying "we will give you 18 cars a year" and then pray to god we get them. I'm suggesting we put together a proposal for 4 or 5 meetings next year, with a round or two at Brands Hatch.

Everybody involved with the series has contacts. This may be media contacts, racing contacts, driver contacts or something else. The fans won't come back unless it's a total package, Rockingham is a business and if they have racing, they want the stands to be full of punters buying hot dogs and programmes. What's the point in opening the gates if nobody is coming to watch?

The problem is, our oval racing i so much different to the states. That's what is wrong. It's all about the day out over there, and we need to do that here if we are going to succeed. I couldn't do something like this alone, who would be up for a meeting?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racingrivalsDOT
    The problem is, our oval racing i so much different to the states. That's what is wrong. It's all about the day out over there, and we need to do that here if we are going to succeed. I couldn't do something like this alone, who would be up for a meeting?
    I could get 10 cars on the grid.
    [I couldn't, but it's very easy to say isn't it - and that's what's dogged the series, people who haven't put up what they say they will, leaving the diehard racers to fund it (more than their share) themselves]

One issue of arrive-and-drive would be damage costs; ask any driver how much it costs when you tap the wall, and the insurance (if you could get it) would be huge. Plus there's always the thorny issue of rookie training (and I wouldn't imagine that could really be dispensed with).

I hope that we see SCSA V8's on the oval next season, it's where they belong - but now maybe we can get to see oval and road course events.
    Marshal

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racingrivalsDOT
    I think your missing the point, the real problem is money, and sadly in this day and age theres no money in uk motorsport, thats all it comes down too. You could have 30 car sitting around like there probably is but if theres no money then they will just sit there.
    And we all know Duane has done nothing over the last few months (sure we hardly see him) the real person behind it all is Mandy!!
    Theres only 1 Tony Hurdle, 1 Tony Hurdle, theres only 1 Tony Hurdleeeeeeeeee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh Mandy...

Well, she came and she gave without taking...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The arrive and drive concept would be easier than finding 20 racers as like you say, there is no money about. FPA is around 120k a year, requires national A and is far inferior in terms of corporate hospitality to what we can offer at Rockingham. Most of the guys racing these cars are corporate directors who have that money to spend. Fun Cup racers would be a prime target too.

What I am proposing is a franchise system, where the drivers pay £30k a year for use of car, tyres and fuel. Like any other series, they will have to cover damage in addition. The series will have a full time co-ordinator to look after the administration of the series and day to day management with a corporate sales exec selling corporate hospitality and advertising etc.

There isn't much point going into too much detail on here, I think we should all get together, Duane and the SCSA guys included. It would be better to present a united front to Rockingham with a proposal that is realistic and that can deliver, rather than just say "I'll get you 18 cars" and then hope and pray we get it. We need a water tight business case, broken down into a step by step action plan.

I really think we could get a demo meeting together for this year, but everything would come down to Gavins cars and Rockingham!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

racing

its ok to say 30K is finding the 30k which is hard .sponsers that wat u need tv deal wood help like channal 4 like we had before or a sponser of the serises