Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Top 5 ovals?

Richmond (NASCAR only)
    Phoenix
    Indianapolis (some good NASCAR races HAVE happened here)
    Daytona (old pavement please...)
    Darlington

For my Road Courses?

Mosport (biased here, close to home, but James Weaver agrees!)
    Silverstone (before the latest changes)
    Spa
    Nordschlife of the Ring
    Bathurst (how could no one mention this wildride?)
    *honourable Mention to Road America.

Street courses?
    Toronto (spectacular races more often than not in various formulae)
    Long Beach
    Monaco (how could anyone not?)
    Adelaide
    Melbourne
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    Didn't know where to put this seeing as I'm asking for all of racing in general. But I want to know what are your favorite tracks/circuits? I'm going to do my top 5 for both ovals and road and street circuits.

Ovals

1. Indianapolis
    2. Talladega
    3. Daytona
    4. California
    5. Martinsville

Road and street circuits

1. Watkins Glen
    2. Toronto
    3. Road America
    4. Long Beach
    5. Circuit Gilles Villneuve
    After thinking about it some, I have decided that I like Laguna Seca more than Circuit Gilles Villneuve.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Street courses?
    Toronto (spectacular races more often than not in various formulae)
    Long Beach
    Monaco (how could anyone not?)
    Adelaide
    Melbourne
    I dont think there would be many other challengers for this top 5, that would be close to mine as well, but with Adelaide I think alittle higher, Surfers Paradise is better than Melbourne, IMO. Pao is another street circuit that is insanely challenging
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    I dont think there would be many other challengers for this top 5, that would be close to mine as well, but with Adelaide I think alittle higher, Surfers Paradise is better than Melbourne, IMO. Pao is another street circuit that is insanely challenging
    Macau has the best street circuit in the world. Long wide straights, narrow confines of Monaco with quick corners. Single seaters, production cars, touring cars and bikes on the same weekend!

Pau is too similar to Monaco.

Old/original Spa

Birmingham Superprix which held F3000 races in the mid-80s-early 90s.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    Surfers has NO fast corners. Melbourne has a good mix of them all. Surfers is a point and squirt track with chicanes. The location is fabulous, but the track itself isn't a tough track to learn and doesn't test the car so much as the driver negotiating his way around without hitting things. Pau isn't one I have seen footage of...so I wont judge it one way or the other.

AS for Macau, I thought about it..but it has a twisty km or so in the back that is basically follow the leader stuff...much like Monaco, so while it has the big fast straight sections, the rest of the track is like Monaco. When in doubt, go with a classic....

I truly think Street circuits must be judged on their own merits, which is why I separtated them from Road Circuits.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Surfers has NO fast corners. Melbourne has a good mix of them all. Surfers is a point and squirt track with chicanes. The location is fabulous, but the track itself isn't a tough track to learn and doesn't test the car so much as the driver negotiating his way around without hitting things. Pau isn't one I have seen footage of...so I wont judge it one way or the other.
    Favourite part Surfers is the chicane on the back straight. I love the camera shot where you see the cars snaking through, bouncing off the kerbs and the camber changes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Somewhat flabbergasted no one has Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on their list. I mean, I love Spa. It's beautiful and steeped in history and has awesome speed but Montreal pretty much outdoes any other F1 circuit on a year to year basis when it comes down to actual race excitement. Look at this year. A rain delayed marathon with a last lap finish that comes about once a decade in F1. Montreal never disappoints.

...but I love Spa and
    Mosport
    Road America
    and the much neutered Monza.

Mark has the street circuits nailed.

Ovals:
    Indy
    Phoenix
    Darlington
    Pocono
    Delaware
    Who, What, When, Where, Why -- http://champcarstats.com/

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Harvick#1 - sorry to say but Oran Park is no more

Sadly, it has been annexed by the great urban sprawl of western Sydney, it's final race meeting was earlier this year.

My fave aussie tracks are Phillip Island and a small club owned track in south eastern South Australia called Macnamara Park - motorbikes only! Really technical and flowing, apparently based on Mallroy Park (spelling?) in the UK. It is celebrating it's 50th year in 2012, and is apparently to only club owned race track in the southern hemisphere.

As for the Island, its better than disneyland when the sun is shining. I've done several track days there and for an average rider like me, there is sooooo much to keep your attention. Very fast and flowing, following A grade riders through some sections just shows the level of commitment put in when the real fast guys are racing. When its wet and raining, though.... Fecking cold and miserable is the polite way of putting it.

As for Overseas - would love to go for a punt around (in no particular order):

Spa
    Monza
    Sarthe
    Donnington
    Silverstone
    Is of Mann
    Road America
    Laguna Seca
    Zandvoort
    Nurburgring Nordshliefe (spelling?)
    etc etc etc

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    F1
    Monaco
    Silverstone
    Spa

Tilkedromes
    Istanbul
    Sepang

Others
    Brands Hatch
    Oulton Park
    Donington
    Knockhill
    Bathurst
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

10. Likes: Fortitude (16th January 2022)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Top 5

Monza
    Brands Hatch
    Mid Ohio
    Mosport
    Road Alanta
    the big print giveth the small print taketh