Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2012 schedule:

OVALS (10)- Indianapolis, Texas (2), Iowa, Loudon, Kentucky, Las Vegas, Fontana, Chicago and Richmond

ROAD/STREETS (10)- Long Beach, Brazil, St. Pete, Birmingham, Mid-Ohio, Edmonton, Toronto, Sonoma, Elkhart Lake, Houston

Japan, Milwaukee and Baltimore are dumped.

Possible dates (appoximate):

Early March- St. Pete
    Mid March- Houston
    Late March- Barber
    Early April- Long Beach
    Late April- Brazil
    Late May- Indianapolis
    Early June- Texas
    Mid June- Iowa
    Late June- Richmond
    Early July- Toronto
    Mid July- Edmonton
    Late July- Chicago
    Early August- Mid Ohio
    Mid August- Loudon
    Late August- Sonoma
    Early September- Elkhart Lake
    Late September- Kentucky
    Early October- Fontana
    Mid October- Las Vegas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Tracks in bold are confirmed for 2012, I just modified my calendar... Because I don't expect 22 races already next year and I forgot Baltimore.. :P

01. Streets of St. Petersburg - Road course
    02. Barber Motorsports Park - Road course
    03. Streets of Long Beach - Road course
    04. Streets of Sao Paulo - Road course
    05. 96th Indianapolis 500 - Oval
    06. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
    07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
    08. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
    09. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
    10. Streets of Toronto - Road course
    11. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
    12. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
    13. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
    14. Infineon Raceway - Road course
    15. Streets of Baltimore - Road course
    16. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
    17. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
    18. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
    19. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
    20. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    I love Leguna Seca! It should be raced on over Sonoma.
    I just don't like watching racing from Sears Point. Dirt everywhere, no real straightaway, passing usually involves a parking lot crash and It just looks like what it is, a club racing and test track.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    People complain about both Laguna Seca and Sears Point but IndyCar has to have a race somewhere in Northern California. Champ Car had an idea about an airfield race at Moffett Field in the Silicon Valley but I'd prefer a proper road course. I would personally choose Laguna Seca but Sears Point is an SMI track so Sears Point it is.
    “It used to be about trying to do something. Now it’s about trying to be someone.”

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The crowd has voted at Louden and the verdict is: LOOSER!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update...

...So Milwaukee is off the schedule for 2012, and Road America may take its place. Also, IndyCar is closer to confirming adding street races in Porto Alegre, Brazil and Qingdao, China. IndyCar considered Mexico City and Detroit but it appears they'll wait at least one more year before deciding whether to add those one or both of those to the schedule or not. It remains to be seen if Chicagoland and/or Houston will be added to the schedule. As of now, I would expect to see at least an 18-event/20-race schedule (with Texas and Iowa serving as doubleheaders) and possibly Road America, Houston, and/or Chicagoland being added:

Ovals (7) - Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa, New Hampshire, California, Kentucky, Las Vegas.

Street/Road Courses (11) - St. Petersburg, Barber, Long Beach, Sao Paulo, Toronto, Edmonton, Mid-Ohio, Sonoma, Baltimore, China, Porto Alegre.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    If that's gonna be the calendar then I won't call it a balanced schedule anymore.... IndyCar was made for oval racing and now the road courses are just with 4 more... That's not right! Last years' calendar was perfect!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    schumacher180,

Unfortunately, this is just the trend that IndyCar has been facing for a while now, and so with each passing year we should expect to see less ovals and more road/street courses on the schedule. The attendance at IndyCar races this year has shown that more people show up for races on road and street courses than they do for races at oval tracks. Randy Bernard, despite his desire to keep a half-oval/half-road race schedule, is beginning to be more aware of where IndyCar's strength in attendance is and its clearly at the road and street courses. So it should be no surprise that the schedule looks close to the one I projected above, that being more road races than oval tracks.

Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, the Indianapolis 500 may be the only oval race on the schedule and the rest being road races, essentially making IndyCar out to being the American alternative to Formula 1. This may actually end up being the best thing for the series to do as they would no longer have to suffer with poor attendance at ovals like Milwaukee, but I do know how much the purist IndyCar fans who've followed the series before the split want to keep a balanced schedule of ovals and road races in order to make the series unique.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well... I think that definitely everything comes alright (balanced schedules in the future), I'm sure Bernard also wants to have a balanced schedule.... I'm following IndyCar long enough to believe that everything will come alright. I never was a fan of CART, I just started following the IndyCar Series in 1996 (the first race at the Walt Disney World Speedway)

I don't think we will see less ovals as Charlotte and Chicagoland might return next year... If that's gonna happen then we have again a real balance as Iowa will probably be a doubleheader. I really don't understand why people do prefer to go to a race on a road course then on an oval.... I've enjoyed all the races on road courses this year (and all other seasons), but it's nothing next to Indianapolis, Texas, Iowa, Milwaukee and New Hampshire to be honest. But I'll stay positive that IndyCar will always be the unique series with a balanced schedule.

I've been to an IndyCar race only two times, but I live in The Netherlands so I can't go to each race which I want.

I went to Indy this year and as a child I was at Vegas in 1997.

I still think the calendar will be like this:

01. Streets of St. Petersburg - Road course
    02. Barber Motorsports Park - Road course
    03. Streets of Long Beach - Road course
    04. Streets of Sao Paulo - Road course
    05. 96th Indianapolis 500 - Oval
    06. Texas Motor Speedway Race #1 - Oval
    07. Texas Motor Speedway Race #2 - Oval
    08. Iowa Speedway Race #1 - Oval
    09. Iowa Speedway Race #2 - Oval
    10. Streets of Toronto - Road course
    11. Edmonton City Centre Airport - Road course
    12. New Hampshire Motor Speedway - Oval
    13. Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course - Road course
    14. Infineon Raceway - Road course
    15. Streets of Baltimore - Road course
    16. Kentucky Speedway - Oval
    17. Chicagoland Speedway - Oval
    18. Auto Club Speedway, Fontana - Oval
    19. Phoenix International Raceway - Oval
    20. Las Vegas Motor Speedway - Oval

But that might not be true... At least I'll be close...

*Tracks in bold are confirmed for 2012.*

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Pretty sure Curt Cavin said Phoenix won't be on the schedule for the foreseeable future.

Shame, as i would like to see that race return, along with Homestead, Michigan, Nazareth (won't happen!), Portland, Road America etc.

Seems like its going the way of CART again - although i guess thats a better option than having no series at all to follow.