View Poll Results: Should F1 run coupes?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 11.43%
  • No

31 88.57%
Page 13 of 74 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Its more dangerous to cross a quiet suburban road than it is to drive an F1 car at 350 km/h.
    What a silly statement. You will point to the fact that no one has died in F1 since 1994 and point to the people who die crossing roads.....

But you seem to forget the fact that billions of people cross the road every year and people do billions of miles on suburban roads every year. Are you trying to say that if everyone crossed the road at 350kph that we'd be safer?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    What a silly statement. You will point to the fact that no one has died in F1 since 1994 and point to the people who die crossing roads.....

But you seem to forget the fact that billions of people cross the road every year and people do billions of miles on suburban roads every year. Are you trying to say that if everyone crossed the road at 350kph that we'd be safer?
    Well now. From an early age, children are taught not to cross the road on their own, Green Cross Code etc, we have Pedestrian crossings, speed limits ya da ya da.

I don't think my little legs will take me to 350kph TBH.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

"But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still, you and I drive cars that are a lot less safe than open cockpit F1 cars. How is that acceptable? Shouldn't car manufacturers make cars safe as possible? Let's ban normal cars until car manufacturers make them as safe as they can, currently they are not doing that. It's really trivial to worry about 24 highly paid drivers in open cockpits when the average Joe is driving cars that aren't as safe as they could be.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Still, you and I drive cars that are a lot less safe than open cockpit F1 cars. How is that acceptable? Shouldn't car manufacturers make cars safe as possible? Let's ban normal cars until car manufacturers make them as safe as they can, currently they are not doing that. It's really trivial to worry about 24 highly paid drivers in open cockpits when the average Joe is driving cars that aren't as safe as they could be.
    Of course our cars are a lot less safe. We don't wear helmets, HANS devices or fireproof clothing. Our cars cost a tiny fraction of what an F1 car costs to build....... if you want road cars to be safer then start a thread in chit chat......
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Still, you and I drive cars that are a lot less safe than open cockpit F1 cars. How is that acceptable?
    Maybe because we do not race our cars (at least those with a bit of brains don't), do not drive at 350 km/h. And BTW we do not pay millions of € for a car.
    And if you don't buy crap cars you get very safe road cars nowadays for the buck.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    F1 racing with closed cockpits and covered wheels? hplease:

No thanks, try watching snooker. Its safer.
    Excellent advice. If no one sees the accident that kills someone then no one dies. Fantastic!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Its why I admire Stirling Moss. Part of the attraction is the risk, always has been always will be. If you remove the danger (or supposed danger) from the driver, you are likely to get more dangerous racing in terms of unreasonable risks. Open wheel Grand Prix racing is what it says on the tin and for anyone who thinks its too dangerous can watch Le Mans or rally where there is danger but the driver sits in a bubble. So no thanks to changing F1..
    Seriously, if you don't know that the sport is called rallyING then there's little hope for you.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    As has been mentioned, the FIA technical regulations stipulate an open cockpit design and exposed wheels.

For those that wish to see enclosed cockpits and fendered wheels, there are other forms of motorposrt available.

Why the need for this thread?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Seriously, if you don't know that the sport is called rallyING then there's little hope for you.
    It is difficult to debate with you , Daniel , when you make aggressive posts such as this .

And this : "Excellent advice. If no one sees the accident that kills someone then no one dies. Fantastic!"

To go to such extremes simply weakens your stance .

Nobody here has suggested that safety should not be a centre of concern .

At one time , it was thought by the experts that it was safer to be thrown from the car in the case of an accident .
    In a way , it was the right thinking at the time because the fuel handling made for many huge fireballs on impact .

We've come a long way .

Think of HANS as an example .
    Many people , not just the Intimidator died without it .

The Earnhart death , though , brought in a device already invented , but shunned by motorsport in general beforehand .
    All of sudden , the idea had legs , because a fan favourite had died .

And , to the point , it wasn't a driver in this series of F1 , but a series very distant from F1 in almost every way but for the number of wheels .

The FIA quickly adopted it , even though many drivers weren't happy .

For the drivers , it seems there's the same attraction to the danger involved that there always has been .

In my opinion , you dont need fenders or covered cockpits to be safe .

The much bigger issue today , as I see it , is the sightlines . Drivers sit so low they cannot see anything coming up the side until it is breaks the line ahead of the sidepod .

Add fenders and a covered cockpit and you would just add more obstructions to the vision .
    You'd need bumpers , too .