Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Thumbs up New Safety Car Rule

One idea F1 doesn't need to copy from NASCAR/Indycars is closing the pit/pit windows.

Sorry if it's been discussed before but I just learnt of this over the weekend.

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    rubbish isnt it, it just seems like the FIA get bored over the winter and decide that they have to make rubbish changes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    its a crap rule... what were the FIA smoking when they thought this one up?
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'm not sure about this. In the past, in pace-car situations, things happened that felt unfair. The new rules will likely prevent some of those things, and it will surely introduce new issues. Whatever
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    I agree that it's not needed and only complicates matters.

I think it's got something to do with safety but as they're still allowed to change tyres I can't see how preventing refueling helps with safety in any way.

Letting the backmarkers pass the safety car is OK but how does the safety car know which cars are backmarkers? Or is it only the back markers who are ahead of the leader on the track when the safety car is deployed?

I can't see the new safety car rules working any better than the stupid tyre rules, which had absolutely no effect on the racing whatsoever.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Unlike in Champ Car team-mates don't have different pit stop areas, so it looks that this rule basically tries to destroy the races of those, who are behind their team-mates. If I understood the point correctly, then for example if SC appears, then pits are closed at the start of it. For example Ferraris run 1-2 and when they all pit together during SC session, then second Ferrari will have to wait behind his mate and drops somewhere to 9th for example.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Unlike in Champ Car team-mates don't have different pit stop areas, so it looks that this rule basically tries to destroy the races of those, who are behind their team-mates. If I understood the point correctly, then for example if SC appears, then pits are closed at the start of it. For example Ferraris run 1-2 and when they all pit together during SC session, then second Ferrari will have to wait behind his mate and drops somewhere to 9th for example.
    It's still better than if the driver does a lap behind the safety car and then comes to pit, he would be assured to have last place.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    It's still better than if the driver does a lap behind the safety car and then comes to pit, he would be assured to have last place.
    In these days they usually won't do an extra lap behind SC. By the time SC comes out, which forces to pit, the gaps are big enough that even waiting behind team-mate for 10 secs would cost max 3-4 positions at worst scenario.

But if everyone is forced to pit at the same time and in a tight group, we will have about 8 different teams in Top8 after the stops... Maybe even full Top11 if everyone manages to make back that gap to leader during one SC lap and every team has at least one driver remaining on the circuit.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    really stupid rule!
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I find it stupid that a car would be forced to wait behind his teammate. But, whatever, just one more stupid rule
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s