Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

2011 Monaco Grand Prix Thread (Official)

I thought as everything at Monaco is a bit earlier than at other tracks I would open the thread up a day or so early.

I know this track is too tight for modern F1 and that we often get proccesional races, but despite that I can't help but love the Monaco Grand Prix.

It is still one of my favorites.

Although I wish they would put back the barriers and St. Devote, and swimming pool chicane and revert rascasse back to the tight corner it used to be pre Changes in 2003.

It was much more of a challenge pre 2002. Not saying it is not still a massive challenge, but I just could never understand why the changes were made really.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    For me, this is the most awesome race. The atmosphere is unique...
    Formula 1

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    It's a horrible track. We want overtaking. Lots of it. We don't care it's not real.... I just want to jump up and down like a monkey because cars are passing each other. Why would I watch this race? Just to see pure skill at work, drivers running inches away from the armco for almost 80 (I think) laps. Ok, so there's the occasional crash which is really awesome but it lacks the new found essence of the sport, the car passing the car specifically designed to be passed... and that's why I think it's horrible. Now we will see the drs is just not good enough. I hope after Monaco they will start talking about the ADS. Imagine the drivers keeps trying to pass but still can't, even with the DRS. If the DRS doesn't produce results for 5 laps then the ADS button is activated. How does it work? The driver behind will push a button that will deploy a parachute from the other car's a$$.... I think added drag system is going to be just awesome dudes.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eu
    It's a horrible track. We want overtaking. Lots of it. We don't care it's not real.... I just want to jump up and down like a monkey because cars are passing each other. Why would I watch this race? Just to see pure skill at work, drivers running inches away from the armco for almost 80 (I think) laps. Ok, so there's the occasional crash which is really awesome but it lacks the new found essence of the sport, the car passing the car specifically designed to be passed... and that's why I think it's horrible. Now we will see the drs is just not good enough. I hope after Monaco they will start talking about the ADS. Imagine the drivers keeps trying to pass but still can't, even with the DRS. If the DRS doesn't produce results for 5 laps then the ADS button is activated. How does it work? The driver behind will push a button that will deploy a parachute from the other car's a$$.... I think added drag system is going to be just awesome dudes.
    You forget to add that you would like to see the drivers sitting all in a circle on the grid sharing a crack pipe just before the start.....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    DRS won't be a big factor, but drivers doing their mandatory 12 stops per race might well be.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    DRS won't be a big factor, but drivers doing their mandatory 12 stops per race might well be.
    If the super soft falls apart - off line in the principality is going to be lethal.....
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm gonna miss the Kube this weekend. He was truly inspired last year in a way that all the best drivers are - no matter how pants their car.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The FIA have confirmed that DRS will indeed be banned in tht tunnel:

The FIA will lay down a ban on DRS between two points on the Monaco circuit - distance markers 1350m and 2020m - which is the area around the tunnel.

DRS use will be free elsewhere and the overtaking zone will be laid out on the start-finish straight - because the more obvious tunnel area was too dangerous.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91681
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Monaco is tight and difficult but the fact remains that it is the closest set of conditions that the cars get to what normal people experience on a day to day basis.

Open up the field to 140 entrants and really plug up the circuit. If we in the real world in our Clios, Astrae, Focii and Prii have to deal with doing 10mph in short bursts, then what makes people on more money a weekend than the rest of us make in a year, suddenly above the rigours of normal driving.

If we realy want to find who the best drivers are, then they should be tested under a range of conditions; for that reason Monaco despite being slow and at times dull, is an essential even on the calendar.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    If the super soft falls apart - off line in the principality is going to be lethal.....
    The debut of the red- and white-banded tyres does give another element of uncertainty... but based on what we've seen so far, the super-softs will probably last no worse than the others but be 1s a lap quicker