Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    It is incredible to think that we should look back on those 'Mickey Mouse' stages so fondly, given that they used to be derided, but it's true — they were excellent. Very amusing on occasion, too — remember the troubles of Pond in '80 and '84, and Bell and Alen in '87?
    Amusing..??? Ha ha, not for the drivers...Pondy in the tank of a Rover sliding into a tree, Derek Bell not listening to Mike Nicholson's notes ('oh, Derek...Derek') and Alen rolling slowly in Chatsworth....not forgetting the works Opel Kadetts all 'drowning' in a watersplash......In fact there are so many 'incidents' and lots on LiveTV....or for the highlights shows...

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Derek Bell not listening to Mike Nicholson's notes ('oh, Derek...Derek')
    That was in the forests in '88, wasn't it, when they made it to the finish?

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    That was in the forests in '88, wasn't it, when they made it to the finish?
    You could be right - I just seem to remember him having problems listening to Mike's notes.....(which most Racing drivers do, i;e Kimi)

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 176 Times in 77 Posts
    I remember Chatsworth 1990! Tatton Park is close to me, so i'd love that to come back! It wasn't so long ago that they used them, in 1999 they used Blenheim Place.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    In fact, I don't believe Sutton Park was ever televised live. If my memory serves me correctly, the BBC did not broadcast a Sunday stage live until 1985 at Wollaton Park; in successive years thereafter, they then did so at Cirencester, Weston Park (with the infamously deep ford), Rudding Park and Chatsworth before the live and nightly coverage took a break in 1990. My memory fails me for subsequent RACs, except for Clumber in '93 and '94, the ridiculous Donington rallysprint stage in '95 and Chatsworth in '96 with the tree stump claiming Evans and Head.
    You're correct, I shouldn't have connected those two statements in the way I did. Just imagine Weston Park as a Power Stage. I was just getting nostalgic about Sutton, the film and photos from the 80s show crowds 7 or 8 people deep.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doon
    Was the Alton Towers stage there before the theme park?
    Well the estate was there before the theme park but I think they only laid on a stage there after the theme park opened.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Three weeks from now the East African Safari Classic Rally will be starting in Mombasa.... and goes on for ten days with a rest day halfway through! They do 290km in three stages on the first day (the third stage being 115km) SS7 is 154km

The whole route is about 4,100km of which about 2,000km is competitive I can't quite picture what these distances are as I'm used to the modern WRC events. It will be staggering to see

Route - http://www.eastafricansafarirally.com/2011/EASR-Map.pdf

Of course, it will probably never be a WRC event again but it's slightly starting to go back to tradition.... Jean Todt seems to think a safari type rally would be good to have in the championship.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

MJW
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE
    Three weeks from now the East African Safari Classic Rally will be starting in Mombasa.... and goes on for ten days with a rest day halfway through! They do 290km in three stages on the first day (the third stage being 115km) SS7 is 154km

The whole route is about 4,100km of which about 2,000km is competitive I can't quite picture what these distances are as I'm used to the modern WRC events. It will be staggering to see

Route - http://www.eastafricansafarirally.com/2011/EASR-Map.pdf

Of course, it will probably never be a WRC event again but it's slightly starting to go back to tradition.... Jean Todt seems to think a safari type rally would be good to have in the championship.
    Yes, Phil Mills' company Viking Motorsport - Welcome is running two cars on the rally, one for Stig and one for John Lloyd. Heared that a historic wrc is coming next year, run in tandem with the modern events, 3 gravel Portugal, Acropolis and GB plus 3 tarmac, Germany, France and Spain, with two additional rallies (possibly Monte and Finland joining in 2013)

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    Also Björn Waldegård will participate.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 77 Times in 41 Posts
    Are there any news about the 2012 Rally Argentina? Are they going to make an "endurance events" as they proposed last year?