Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self service

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Self service

In a world where where more and more stores are using those blasted self check out things, how refreshing it was to pull into a petrol station today and have my car 'attended' to. I thought I'd woken up in 1957 - they washed my screen, filled my tank, even offered to check my tyres - All for the same price as my local supermarket filling station.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic
    All for the same price as my local supermarket filling station.
    Are you sure? All the small independants like that around my way charge at least 5p a litre more than Sainsburys/Tesco etc.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Got the receipt here. 1.34 per litre. Tesco is at 1.33 here.

Blimey, that's good going. If you go anywhere but the main chains (Shell, Esso, Tesco, Morrisons etc.etc.) around Exeter it costs quite a bit more. Mind you I filled up last night and it set me back Ł58, and that's only 8 days since my last Ł50+ fill up. The sooner I find a cheap diesel the better, but if I'm selling my sould I want it to be on my terms so taking a while to find a car that I'm happy with.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    The terms 'diesel' and 'happy with' cannot appear in the same sentence

The terms 'diesel' and 'happy with' cannot appear in the same sentence
    Indeed, that's why I've been 'getting a new car' for the last 6 months or so Sadly the terms 'petrol', '34 miles a day', '31mpg' and 'trainee' are not bedfellows so I need to move to the dark side If I could stretch my budget and search radius I reckon I could get a Jag S-type or summint, that would leave me halfway happy. Alternatively a MG ZS diesel would be amusing for a bit (used to have the shape Civic that it's based on and loved that), but they all seem to be oop country.

Back OT. A bloke at work was talking about his missus filling up at a manned filling station, apparently the amount of fuel you get depends on the blokes workload in the workshop. If he's busy then you'll be lucky to get a gallon before he's heading back inside.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Yeah, I feel your pain. I had the choice of the Alfa in petrol or Diesel - I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean walking out to see your beautiful Alfa Romea on the drive, only for your heart to sink EVERY day when you turn the key.

OT - as long as you only get charged for the gallon put in!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barryfullalove
    Indeed, that's why I've been 'getting a new car' for the last 6 months or so Sadly the terms 'petrol', '34 miles a day', '31mpg' and 'trainee' are not bedfellows so I need to move to the dark side If I could stretch my budget and search radius I reckon I could get a Jag S-type or summint, that would leave me halfway happy. Alternatively a MG ZS diesel would be amusing for a bit (used to have the shape Civic that it's based on and loved that), but they all seem to be oop country.

Back OT. A bloke at work was talking about his missus filling up at a manned filling station, apparently the amount of fuel you get depends on the blokes workload in the workshop. If he's busy then you'll be lucky to get a gallon before he's heading back inside.
    Is a Jag S type dizeezel going to even do 40mpg though?

I'm lukewarm towards diesels, you always miss the lovely revvy nature of a petrol engined car when you drive a diesel. Plus there's the effect of having that extra weight out the front which affects the handling. I can see the point of a diesel in a medium- large car like a golf or bigger, but in small cars you have that extra weight murdering those front tyres constantly and you've got turbo lag but not a huge amount of power like you would from a petrol turbo engine. I quite fancy something golf sized and I quite fancy a petrol turbo engine in it or perhaps grudgingly a dizeezel.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Yeah, I feel your pain. I had the choice of the Alfa in petrol or Diesel - I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I mean walking out to see your beautiful Alfa Romea on the drive, only for your heart to sink EVERY day when you turn the key.

OT - as long as you only get charged for the gallon put in!
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

I mean walking out to see your beautiful Alfa Romea on the drive, only for your heart to sink EVERY day when you turn the key.
    I think that one sentence may have saved me. Was considering a TD 156 but you've just confirmed the wrongness of that, thank you.