Thread: Stewards

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Stewards

It strikes me that we have the exact opposite problem that a sport like football does. Football referees are constantly being lambasted for poor on the spot decisions, whilst fans and pundits pour over slow motion replays from a hundred angles before declaring their view. With so many perceived injustices the case for video replays has been growing ever stronger.

In our sport we already have access to such technology, and yet, views are still polarised when punishments (or lack thereof) are handed down.

Clearly both systems have flaws, but my question is, what would you prefer; a single "race ref" who hands out punishments as he/she sees fit within say a lap of an incident, so that at least we know the finishing order is the race result. Or our current system?
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Personally, I think that it's better to have a proper punishment coming too late that an undeserved punishment coming at all. I'd rather the stewards have time to make their decisions. However, there are obvious cases in which they should be able to hand penalties inmediately (speeding in the pitlane, leaving the pits under a red light...).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think the current system is good enough, though why it takes so long for the stewards to make some decisions is beyond me. The big problem is that the stewards regularly make bad calls, even with the ex drivers now sitting in. Frankly Johnny Herbert and Nigel Mansell are the only two es drivers that have shown any real aptitude in the position of steward that I can recall.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    The big problem is that the stewards regularly make bad calls, even with the ex drivers now sitting in.
    That's the crux of the matter. People don't care what system is used, only that the judgement is 'fair'. I think that we can all agree that F1 is prone to get this wrong on a fairly regular basis. This weekend is a perfect example, not many (none that I've read...other than Ferrari who we all know are as reliable on matters of truth as Jeffrey Archer) saw much from LH to warrant a time penalty and it was felt that Fernando losing his wing was penalty enough, yet for some reason the stewards decide to be cocks about the whole thing.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think the best thing is some kind of combination of the two. Here are some other points:

What F1 needs is some equivalent of football's yellow card. Then they can react quicker to smaller incidents, while leaving it in the hands of the driver to improve his behaviour. Two warnings in a race means you're out, or two warnings in two races means a drive-through, for example.

Teams should only be allowed to protest or object within a limited time of any incident.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I believe that it is time to have the very same stewards for each race for at least one season (the more the better) so that they finally get accustomed to what is right and what is wrong in F1, that they get used to the rules and gather enough experience to be able to hand out the right punishment within 3 minutes from happening.

Nowadays we have total tools, picked on whatever basis (obvioulsy not a very transparent system), who have little or no clue about F1 sporting regulations and need hours and hours to hand out a punishment on the slightest infringement. On top of it the same incident will most probably be handled differently every time it happens.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I believe that it is time to have the very same stewards for each race for at least one season (the more the better) so that they finally get accustomed to what is right and what is wrong in F1, that they get used to the rules and gather enough experience to be able to hand out the right punishment within 3 minutes from happening.

Nowadays we have total tools, picked on whatever basis (obvioulsy not a very transparent system), who have little or no clue about F1 sporting regulations and need hours and hours to hand out a punishment on the slightest infringement. On top of it the same incident will most probably be handled differently every time it happens.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan

I know its a little after the event, but I think this is right.

People are always saying we need a balanced and consistent order of penalties, but with each panel differing from the last, then a different opinion leads to a different decision, thus no consistency.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy