Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJL25
    Also the sweeper leading onto the front straight in Australia requires good front grip and therefore good front aero, exactly what you don't get when following another car closely through there, which meant it was always very hard for the car behind to get a good run onto the main straight.

I think the DRS zone should be the main straight at Sepang, not the long straight leaidng into the finral turn, because the corner leading onto the main straight is a tight sweeper which cars can close right up in, where as the corner leading into the final straight is a more difficult corner for cars to follow closely and get a good exit in.
    Some interesting points there. IMO allowing DRS on both the long straights would be a good idea, because cars which are within one second can use the back straight to close right up, and then overtake on the main straight easier. We could also see cars retaking position between the penultimate corner and the first corner, i.e. overtaking the car ahead on the back straight and the overtaken car then retaking its position on the main straight. We would see plenty of overtaking moves this way, presumably. However, I don't know if the FIA have only a one straight DRS use policy, because logically they could have allowed its use in Melbourne between turns 10 and 11 as well, after the Clark corner.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Before the FIA could make its decision, Felipe Massa is already against it:

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/...ive-use-of-DRS

Felipe Massa admits he would prefer not to see the drag reduction system used on both of Sepang's long straights.

The DRS was first used two weeks ago in Melbourne, but such is the layout of the Albert Park circuit, that the system could only be used on the start-finish straight.

However, at the upcoming Malyasian GP at Sepang, there are two straights on which the DRS could be used. The FIA are yet to announce their DRS policy for the race, but Massa is hopeful that the system won't be overused.

"The situation will be interesting here, because for the moment the plan is to be allowed to use DRS during the race on the straight in front of the pits, but at Sepang the straight that runs back the other way is actually longer. It is also true that it would offer a higher chance of overtaking," the Brazilian told Ferrari's official website.

"So we are waiting for the final decision from the FIA to see if we use DRS on the front straight, the back one or both.

"The right decision could make the race more interesting for drivers and the spectators too.

"Personally, I am not sure that allowing DRS on both straights is the best option, because I think it might actually make overtaking too easy.

"You have to get the right balance between helping the chances of overtaking and having almost too much passing.

"At Sepang, the two straights follow one another, so if you are quicker than the car ahead, you might not even try and pass on the first straight, preferring to get well prepared and as close as possible, before then having a simple overtaking move on the second straight."

According to Ferrari's deputy technical director Pat Fry, the key to effectively using the system is positioning, with the 15mph benefit to the pursuing driver useless if the driver has not got themselves into the right area.

"After testing through the winter, most of the teams are all closing in on a similar level of drag reduction so the increase in speed provided by the system is delivering between 20 and 25 km/h (12-16mph)," he explained.

"I think it has made overtaking slightly easier, particularly when you are stuck in traffic, trying to get past backmarkers, but as we saw on the main straight in Melbourne, it is still difficult to overtake cars with a similar overall performance level to your own.

"You need to be somewhere in the order of three-tenths of a second behind another car going into the final corner before the DRS zone, to stand a chance of pulling alongside them by the end of the start-finish straight," he added.
    Does anybody agree with him?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yeah, I see his point, there should be some consistency with the way the system is deployed, you should probably have it only once per lap. And that should either be on the pit straight, or the longest straight, quite often these are the same, but not always as in Sepang. The FIA needs to choose one of these options and stick to it.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Round black news: tyre allocation will stay the same as Australia, ie hard (silver) and soft (yellow); but practice will see some evaluation tyres being used:

Quote Originally Posted by Pirelli press release
    During the two free practice sessions on Friday, Pirelli will be providing an extra two sets of dry-weather tyres for the teams to assess. The new tyre is an experimental hard compound that could be used in the future, in keeping with Pirelli's philosophy of combining entertainment with cutting-edge technology.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    pretty certain the DRS will only be the pit straight, which is configured that you usually see a decent amount of slipstreaming and overtaking on anyway, so should make it that bit easier for the distance they allow it open for. until it rains, and they they'll disable it anyway.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    If it is dry, I think that RBR will win very very easily.
    Formula 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Here's the answer regarding DRS:

The FIA confirmed on Thursday that the DRS detection zone, where drivers must be within one second of the rival ahead of them to get the wing activated, will be situated 207 metres before the final corner at Sepang.

The DRS activation zone, where drivers can use the rear wing for a straight-line speed boost, will start just five metres after the final corner and run for the entire length of the start-finish straight.
    Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90478
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    as we expected then pretty much. should do the trick nicely, until it rains, DOH!
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    There are a few interesting questions to be answered:

1. Will the DRS be effective?

2. Will the Pirelli's behave as expected for once?

3. Will HRT actually race?

4. Will Red Bull dominate again?

5. Was the gap between Vettel and Webber in Melbourne a one off or will Das Wunderkind kick some more Aussie arse?

6. Will Ferrari figure out how to get some one lap speed out of their car for the first time in what seems like forever?

7. Will any of the locals actually show up?

Should be good getting an answer to some of these.
    Let me try:

1. Yes, it will. I wouldn't expect it to be great, though. It should make passing easier, not ultra easy. But it depends on the weather, ofc.

2. If "as expected" you mean "lots of degradation and three- or four-stoppers", they probably will. Anyway, as before, it'll depend on the weather.

3. Yes. They weren't that far from 107%, which isn't really bad taking into account that they had no set-up or testing whatsoever, plus they had last year's front wing. With proper testing, I'd expect them to be well inside 107%.

4. Yes. (Edit: if their tyre wear is as high as some say, it might not be so easy for them)

5. I'd expect Vettel to outperform Webber consistently during the season, but not as much as happened in Melbourne.

6. They might raise their game in qualifying, but I expect Red Bull to be the major force in qualifying during the season.

7. No comment.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    Before the FIA could make its decision, Felipe Massa is already against it:

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/18227/...ive-use-of-DRS

Does anybody agree with him?
    No.
    Two consecutive straights would be fairer, so the car that was is passed on the first straight get's a fair chance to fight back on the second straight. This would make this stupid gimmick less important for the race outcome.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro