View Poll Results: should a team be allowed to run a car that has no testing during the winter

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

28 57.14%
  • no

21 42.86%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    I agree.

They got very close to making the 107% rule after putting the cars on track for the very first time. That really is amazing considering the time the other teams spent on development after the initial testing sessions.

I actually think there should be some type of testing provision for any cars that don't qualify for a race. They need some way to test and develop so they can remain in the field. F1 could lose a lot of sponsors if it's too difficult to get into the races.
    Look, they had the same opportunity like every other F1 team and their dogs to test at the official test sessions, designated for testing, when the speed and reliability of the cars are tested.

If they miss it - it aint no-ones fault but theirs.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It's a good point. If you fail to qualify you get a GP distance worth of testing.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    A few points from my point of view.

1. I honestly think Hispania will struggle to last the season unless they are bought out but only time will tell.

2. I assume the car was legal to run as the stewards and officials allowed them onto the track and therefore if they had got inside 107% even with no laps they are ok to race.

3. I think given a full weekend of running in Malaysia I think Hispania will be just inside the 107% rule certainly with Liuzzi. Karthikeyan might struggle more and be replaced.

And finally some people saying they are a waste of space, I always think about Minardi. A team that for the last 15 years of it existance on the whole was adrift of the pack and 4,5 or 6 seconds off the pace, and yet because they had been around a while people grew to love them, and support them.

They offered no real benefit to the sharp end of F1 for a lot of years, but there endless battling against the odds and occasional great result. Gene and Badoer in Europe 99, Mazzacane US 2000, Alonso's great drives, Webber in Oz 2002, Baumgartner USA 2004. Albers Quali lap 2005 Canada.
    Mean't most people loved them.

Not saying HRT is as good as Minardi they are not, and will never be loved like Minardi but if they get there car under 107% then they race.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Worth remembering they weren't ready for what was technically the SECOND race of the season, let alone the first. I don't like seeing teams fold, but it is starting to look more Andrea Moda basket case than Minardi plucky underdog unfortunately.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Liuzzi and Karthikeyan completed 11 laps each in Q1, I just get the feeling they were treating it as a twenty minute test session than a proper qualifying attempt (for their sake I hope so!). Hopefully Hispania will get in some actual practice at Sepang, so some improvement should be forthcoming but I'm not sure if that will be enough to get them under 107%.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Should a team be allowed to run a car that has no testing during the winter?

Yes.

Should a car that cannot pass the 107% rule during qualifying be allowed to race?

No.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Should a car that cannot pass the 107% rule during qualifying be allowed to race?

No.
    Well, not at that meeting, anyway. I take it this is what you mean?

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hornet
    Worth remembering they weren't ready for what was technically the SECOND race of the season, let alone the first. I don't like seeing teams fold, but it is starting to look more Andrea Moda basket case than Minardi plucky underdog unfortunately.
    Now that's an excellent point I had overlooked.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't see how Karthikeyan can be replaced - Tata is the team's only obvious sponsor. Having said that, assuming that Liuzzi starts qualifying the car and Karthikeyan doesn't, I'm not certain that Tata will really be that pleased with their driver not being present on the grid.

I hope that they'll make it, but have been seriously skeptical since the loss of the Toyota partnership.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    to be honest, the problem isn't the drivers or mechanics, the problem is the likes of Kolles and Carabante, ain't doing their jobs right, to be fair with HRT they ain't a Minardi, they got better in there second season not worst more like a Forte imho
    GP2 Pickems Champion 2006, MotoGP Pickems Champion 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012