Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Lightbulb Your opinion on 'Drag Reduction System'

May as well let the drivers use it the whole lap after that fairly substandard showing!

Your thoughts?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Meh?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Pointless on that straight, can't see why they can't just use it all lap round. If the point is to give us more exciting racing then I can't see the benefit of limiting the range that it can be used in.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    This could be like Bahrain last year - everyone saying that it's going to be boring as hell, and then we're proven wrong in the second race. I don't know if that's the case, but I truly hope it is.

The DRS zone wasn't specially great - the main straight is located after a 4th or 5th gear turn, which doesn't allow the car behind to close onto the leading car, so it's difficult to get close there. DRS can't help that much. If the DRS area was set after an slower turn, it might have a much more beneficial effect.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Australia never has a lot of passing, and the straight is very short, i think the DRS worked quite well considering this. it shouldn't offer any freebies, just makes it possible to pass if you are already quicker than the car in front. it added the opportunity for a few passes, which IMO is excatly what it should do.

it will likely work better at different circuits with longer straights, where overtaking is more likely anyway.

I was pleasantly surprised and think so far so good
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    The DRS zone wasn't specially great - the main straight is located after a 4th or 5th gear turn, which doesn't allow the car behind to close onto the leading car, so it's difficult to get close there. DRS can't help that much. If the DRS area was set after an slower turn, it might have a much more beneficial effect.
    Yes, spot on I think. It will surely have a bigger effect at other circuits.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    the moaning and prevaricating about how it was a disatser and would lead to false racing and fake passing was unfounded, and it did let cars run closer and get a chance of passing, but thats still not good enough fo some people who have to find some kind of fault in everything. For me it has potential, as long as they don't go mad and let them have it too long on the big straights
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I'll give it a few more races and trust in the FIA to tweak it, but 1st impressions aren't great.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I'm with Robinho. I was pleasantly surprised with it, creating, as I've said elsewhere, the effect of a decent slipstream, getting the following driver close, but ultimately still leaving him some work to do on the brakes. Personally I think it was just about right in terms of it effect on relative speeds.

My only concern is it doesn't permit the slower car the opportunity for a quick repass, as, let's face it, but the time the pair have completed another lap round to the zone there is no way the slower car will still be within 1 sec. That takes a little something away from the racing IMO; those desperate attempts to repass within two corners, knowing it's your only hope.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Perhaps a second zone, or the overtaken car getting one free use of the device to attempt a repass, or - or - well as I say I don't have the answer, but maybe the powers that be will come up with a solution.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    As Robinho and Sonic have said the system gives you a chance but doesn't put it on a plate. My very first impression was that it didn't do a lot but there were certainly cases where it allowed the opportunity to pass that wouldn't usually exist with normal aero.

My problem remains that it's for a section of the track, why not have it all the way round? This would also help with Sonic's problem of the slower car not getting the chance to pass back. If they do that then I can't see much of an argument, beyond "it's not racing", for not having it. And with the tedium of some of the recent years and the difficulty drivers have following other cars, I don't think that "it's not racing" is actually much of an argument.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.