Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

Early observations from 2011

Now we've had a proper "hot" session, in qualifying, I thought I'd stick my neck out and make some comments, which will likely be completley disproved as early as tomorrow morning.

New tyres - don't seem to be anything like as much of a degrading disaster as some seemed to think. Will be different in the race, but we're not going to see 4 or 5 stops.

New tyres 2 - These were supposed to benefit some drivers, particularly mentioned were schumacher and Massa. So far i'm not sure about Schumacher, seemed close to Rosberg all weekend but dropped back in qualifying. after last years disappointment we were supposed to see the old Michael, i've not seen any evidence to suggest he's back, yet. As for Massa, he looked every bit the fish out of water again, like most of last year, especially after germany. off Alonso's pace, struggled to get into Q2 at one point, spun out of the pits, i'm seeing no upturn for him so far either. I honestly don't see him in a Ferrari next year, unless he has a remarkable turnround.

McLaren - rubbish in testing and then followed by Whitmarsh's "we've changed the car and gained 1 second" which i'm sure most of us thought was a very optimistic assessment. Seems not, they are right up there on Red Bulls coat tails, where ferrari were supposed to be. I'll be intrigued what they can do in the race.

New Teams - disappointed by Lotus and Virgin, expected them to be closer to the field. Hispania, i reserve judgement until they've actually completed some laps in practice sessions, but they still look like the slowest team. i think they'll be lucky to race this year.

Petrov impressed, but i think the Renault is flattering him (heidfield just f**ed up). In Kubica's hands my opinion is that he would have been mixing it with the Maccas and Webber.

very impressed by the rookies in general, decent results for them. Sauber and STR look to have leapt forward this year and could well be in top 10 contention regularly.

Save of the Year? i'll be surprised if anyone tops Sutil, that should have been a huge wreck, great job to keep it out of both walls, although it was his mistake that brought it on.

Finally, Vettel. I know its only one qualification, but he looks on a different level. one of, if not the best (quickest) driver, in the quickest car, full of confidence, he could cream this year. the major factor is the tyres behaviour in races and if tactics can bring slower cars into contention.

Looking forward to tomorrow and the rest of the year.

I stand to be corrected on all points in the coming weeks and months!
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    lotus just made the 107% by about 0.25 to 0.5 a second
    over 107%
    Virgin-Cosworth
    HRT-Cosworth
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Virgin were in the 107%

It is taken form the Q1 session when they set their times, not the ultimate time in Q3
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Virgin were in the 107%

It is taken form the Q1 session when they set their times, not the ultimate time in Q3
    True, it is taken from the Q1 times, after which both TL and Virgin got in relatively comfortably

Lotus have had constant problems with tyre temperature and their DRS system not working while Virgin have suffered from lack of downforce. Add in the fact they both don't have the KERS system and it's easy to see why they've struggled.

It would be cruel to judge them on today, especially TL who looked like midfield contenders at best in testing
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Red Bull have stunned the lot of us I think. I don't think anyone thought Vettel could be THAT quick. Pictures of overly flexing front wing cause questions though.

The most disappointing one is Lotus. Where's the decent pace from testing? I expected them to be at least around the Force Indias. The Virgin is poor as well, makes last year's car look better than we thought.

Honestly every other team has impressed me apart from Force India (no improvement from lacklustre end of 2010 although still there or thereabouts), Ferrari and Williams (where's their pace gone as well?).

Oh, apart from HRT - they shouldn't have any excuses in their second season.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woody2goody
    Red Bull have stunned the lot of us I think. I don't think anyone thought Vettel could be THAT quick. Pictures of overly flexing front wing cause questions though.

You mean that red bull could produce a car that so matched with driver......

front wing flex??

what flex??

hahahaha, they just are the very best at doing the flex, but passing the test.

In the past few years, it is all about the car, car car, and having a fast driver to match up the car with, whose type of talent matches the car. That is all that the driver is good for nowadays
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts

Fair observations Robinho..

I knew Red Bull would most likely be the team to beat but they totally stunned me, an absolute beast straight out of the box, it looked to be on rails.. in a different league from the rest of the teams.

Regarding Vettels awesome pace- despite Horners comments, the cynic in me suspects both cars are not equal.. Yes Vettel is generally quicker than Mark but I just have difficulty believing by that much. Many would agree that there looks to be forces within the team against Mark, I just pray my suspicions are unfounded, that they would never stoop so low.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    I honestly don't see him in a Ferrari next year, unless he has a remarkable turnround.
    Alas I don't see a suitable replacement for Massa. With Kubica there were lots of speculations, but now no way Ferrari will hire him without knowing whether he can actually perform at his best again. Who are the others options currently? Kobayashi? Glock? Sutil? Would Ferrari consider it worth replacing Massa for one of them? I see Massa staying at Maranello for 2012 as well, besides he has a contract for that. Qualifying gap was big, but so were Webber's and Button's to their team-mates. Are they going to get sacked as well?

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Observation on the DRS; Schu seems to be going mad with it! He's using it everywhere. I know it gives between 12 and 20kph top speed improvement, bit surely it is more of a hinderance for a two second blast in 4th gear? Braking balance must be adversely affected in such circumstances.

I get the feeling MS is almost trying to prove something to himself: Look at me. Look how much I can multi-task.

I'm possibly (probably) way off the mark. Time will tell.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    My predictions for the year:

(1) I do feel for webber, as i think he will be getting the short end of the stick this season. So since I have a habit for rooting for underdogs and since Scotnot Speed will probably not make the grid this year.......guess I will have to find somebody. Might as well be him. he will have a tough time beating the competition and his own team to get a WDC, however

(2) Vettel will be the wdc and it will not be close.

(3) Renault, will look good, but their drivers will lack the little something special to put them over the top. Why not stick in hulkenberg before too late???? The driver who put a williams on the pole last year, needs to be driving for renault, as it would seem he would be the best choice of drivers not unbreakably committed to a team for this season. (assuming the car's driving style will fit him)

Sad thing is that Renault built a winner for this season, but the driver they built it for, he will not be in it.
    If he were, I think he might be the only driver to give Seb a run for his money.

(4) Mac: Lewis might do well this year, but mac will have to do major catch up. He barely beat Webber using KERs to best advantage and it was not enough to top Seb.

Of course if those red bull wings go too flapping too much and..............

(5)ferrari: alas, much of a repeat from last year.....of course with a new acrobatic instructor-master whatever, maybe fred will learn to fly upside down
    Massa will tag along and be out at the end of the year

(6) Brawn and his guys: well, I hear that mercedes like to watch expenses very closely, and want a "profit center" as part of the team. Ferrari used to sell cars to go race. Mercedes races to sell cars.......Sums it up. So i think that shuie and nicko might win a race between them, but that would be about it......would love to see Schuie in the Renault.

(7) Force India.......well they might beat the works team of mercedes on pints or might not.....will Sutile lose his place as the fav to di resta is about the most interesting thing to say about that team.

(8) Kobayashi....well he continues to impress. Needs a better car to run with the big boys. Too bad he ain't in a renault.

(9) Scot Speed will not manage to get into Q1
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: