Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Start-only KERS

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts

Start-only KERS

Some in the press are claiming that Red Bull might have a start-only KERS which cannot be recharged during the race - that's why they are calling it start-only, ofc.

Do you think this is true? I doubt it - we already had this last year with Red Bull's ride control system. And if they have this system, why didn't they use it during qualifying?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I dunno perhaps they don't think it's reliable enough to use every lap?
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    This "start only" system that has been speculated here seems to be currently the best guess that everyone has about why the Bulls run so fast .

But , is it legal , if this speculation is true ?

By definition , it may not be .
    It is defined in the rules as :
    “A system that is designed to recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car.”

If they are charging it in the pits , it is not energy derived from the car during braking at all .

The only way to make this work , as I see it , would be to use the practice sessions to charge the battery , and remove the items before the race .
    This might be possible , as the cars are not in parc ferme until after quals .
    It sure seems like it would be tricky to do , though , as the ballance should change demonstrably , if you were moving ballast enough to optimize it .

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    This "start only" system that has been speculated here seems to be currently the best guess that everyone has about why the Bulls run so fast .

But , is it legal , if this speculation is true ?

By definition , it may not be .
    It is defined in the rules as :
    “A system that is designed to recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car.”

If they are charging it in the pits , it is not energy derived from the car during braking at all .

The only way to make this work , as I see it , would be to use the practice sessions to charge the battery , and remove the items before the race .
    This might be possible , as the cars are not in parc ferme until after quals .
    It sure seems like it would be tricky to do , though , as the ballance should change demonstrably , if you were moving ballast enough to optimize it .
    I was thinking about this earlier. Do the rules state that a KERS system has to 'recover kinetic energy from the car during braking, store that energy and make it available to propel the car', or merely that this is what a KERS system is?

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Looking at the rules, the KERS system must recover energy under braking (or at least be capable of it), as per Bagwan's quote from 1.20 of the technical regulations. If the system can't recover energy, then by the definition, it's not a KERS; and 5.2.1 says that the only things that can propel the car are the engine and a KERS.

However, there's nothing that says how quickly you have to be able to recover energy. And you are allowed to fully charge the system beforehand - even in parc ferme, this is specifically permitted in the sporting regs. You can't charge it during pit stops though.

So it may be that the Red Bull system can recover energy, but only at a very slow rate. That would mean they could have a lightweight reg/rect, and perhaps get away with having no or minimal cooling for the charging circuits and batteries. Given the trim shape of the Red Bull sidepods, not having to accommodate KERS cooling could be a significant benefit.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Could just be rummor and speculation but if there is any truth in it, Red Bull may have been extremely clever and stolen a(nother) march on the field. KERS biggest advantage was always off the line - Kimi would have lost to Fissi at spa without that kick. Obviously there is a maximum amount of charge they can harvest but the regs don't specify (I think) a minimum charge speed. The Bull could be capable of harvesting energy, albeit in minimal amounts to satisfy the regs, whilst giving them the boost off the line to keep them out of the way of the pack.

Best of both worlds? Boost from the line and epic packaging? Who knows.
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Looking at the rules, the KERS system must recover energy under braking (or at least be capable of it), as per Bagwan's quote from 1.20 of the technical regulations. If the system can't recover energy, then by the definition, it's not a KERS; and 5.2.1 says that the only things that can propel the car are the engine and a KERS.

However, there's nothing that says how quickly you have to be able to recover energy. And you are allowed to fully charge the system beforehand - even in parc ferme, this is specifically permitted in the sporting regs. You can't charge it during pit stops though.

So it may be that the Red Bull system can recover energy, but only at a very slow rate. That would mean they could have a lightweight reg/rect, and perhaps get away with having no or minimal cooling for the charging circuits and batteries. Given the trim shape of the Red Bull sidepods, not having to accommodate KERS cooling could be a significant benefit.
    Oopps! Didn't see your post before I added my 2 cents. Great minds eh?
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    from what i understand, it does "trickle" charge, the recovery is no the problem, its the small batteries that cannot charge quickly, so they use it just at the beginning. it makes sense (why would they not use it if they had it) and when you look at what the drivers were saying, things like "I couldn't find the button" there is definately something going on.
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Christian Horner just stated that Red Bull have not had it on all weekend, tried it on friday and didn't like it so they took it off. in your face everyone else
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Sneaky devils