Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    You don't need a strict fuel allotment, as teams already start the race 'under fuelled' as they don't want to carry too much weight around. Plus they can already vary the fuel mixture which will give them more power for a time.

What I was trying to put forward (in my own inadequate way) was for the powers that be to calculate the fuel allowance for race distance, then increase it by X amount to allow the driver 5/6 or 7 three second boosts during the race for overtaking or for accelerating away from a following car.

If you remember during the turbo day's the boost was used in exactly that way, and in my humble opinion the racing was far better.

Regards scaliwag.
    loloaqici82qb4ip?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaliwag
    What I was trying to put forward (in my own inadequate way) was for the powers that be to calculate the fuel allowance for race distance, then increase it by X amount to allow the driver 5/6 or 7 three second boosts during the race for overtaking or for accelerating away from a following car.

If you remember during the turbo day's the boost was used in exactly that way, and in my humble opinion the racing was far better.

Regards scaliwag.
    I know, sure. But it would be more strategic to allow teams to choose their own fuel, and if they are going to have no boost during the race, e.g. if they are doing a one stopper, or lots of boost to overtake if they are doing a 3 stop race.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While I'm usually against things like push to pass buttons that we get/got in Champ Car/IRL, it's actually not a bad idea when put like this. If you say it can be used whenever the hell you like, but yeah with a maximum fuel allowance, more of which gets burned up. In that way isn't not actually that much different to in the old turbo days when a driver would turn the boost up into qualifying mode when he needed to get past someone.

The worst part about the wing is that it can't be used in defence and only within the "overtaking zone" (puke), so it's not exactly a level playing field.[/QUOTE]

Agreed V12,

Re your turbo comment, I missed your post whilst I was replying to Mark, but you are spot on, and as I stated to Mark the racing was far better then.

Regards scaliwag.
    loloaqici82qb4ip?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know, sure. But it would be more strategic to allow teams to choose their own fuel, and if they are going to have no boost during the race, e.g. if they are doing a one stopper, or lots of boost to overtake if they are doing a 3 stop race.
    Mark, is your strategy designed for refueling?

If not, by all means let the teams decide, no boost= X gallons---Boost=X gallons+X

My extrapolation was for no change in the existing refueling rules.

Regards scaliwag.
    loloaqici82qb4ip?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The same should apply to KERS: if you're going to allow it, then let the teams decide whether the weight penalty is worth the gain.

We could see some teams opting to start with more fuel (and weight) but use their p2p button loads; others may forgo the use of the boost but enjoy the advantage of lighter cars at the beginning of the race.

The flappy wings, however, have no place in F1.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Remember what a great idea adjustable front wings were last year. They were going to help overtaking weren't they. That worked didn't it.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Remember what a great idea adjustable front wings were last year. They were going to help overtaking weren't they. That worked didn't it.
    Yet another in the long list of ideas that work better on paper than in real life.
    Plasma tv's are okay, but I'm holding out for whole blood. :vampire:

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal
    haha you guys act like its the end of the world, every year there are new rules with some being wacky. you never know it might create a hell of a show. i just got done watching the borefest that was abu dhabi 2010, anything can be better than that. yes now the drivers have almost too much to do, but that means more mistakes which means more action. im all for more action, i dont really care how it comes about. i just hate boring races.
    well that's exactly the problem isn't it?

every year new rules, new changes and no consitency

this idea is so pathetic and what;s worse it is managed and adjudicatdd by the FIa, an organization that has show very little in either partiality or admiiting when mistakes have been made.

I can see the first incident in the first race with an RBR or Mclaren driver claiming the system wasn't working as they were trying to pass a Ferrari, or somehow one car getting a more favorable zone than another because the guy "forgot" to monitor the zone properly, or the wrong car being activated in a 3 way battle allowing the 3rd car to pass the 2nd and 1st car ahead of him. This whole thing really has more downsides than upside and that being said will probably be abandoned by the time we get to Barcelona
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scaliwag

Regards scaliwag.
    I like this idea, it seems like really the only thing to get around the aero problems and dirty air issue. make the boost really good so a proper pass can be made.

It will then be interesting to see how many PtoP a driver has left and what strategies they employ in using it,

then again why not integrate it into kers and kill 2 birds with one stone?
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72
    I like this idea, it seems like really the only thing to get around the aero problems and dirty air issue. make the boost really good so a proper pass can be made.

It will then be interesting to see how many PtoP a driver has left and what strategies they employ in using it,

then again why not integrate it into kers and kill 2 birds with one stone?

Yep all for it.

Regards scaliwag
    loloaqici82qb4ip?