Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    So with the prediction of 3-4 stops per car per race, Kers and the movable rear wing, there are going to be a LOT of speed differences between cars. This will most likely lead to a lot more incidents. We'll have a lot to debate. I wonder will the stewards be able to cope, and who will be first to be run off the road by Michael ?
    I would imagine Rosberg will be the first of many. They will probably screw someone up with that wing and then ban it. To bad it should be banned now
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    That would be sensible, but I believe is not the case.
    The FIA has already successfully tested the software that will be used to manage the wing rules at the races – with the devices activated if a driver gets within one second of the car ahead of him at the corner preceding a designated straight
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89820

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    most of these new ideas have been to improve the show.

If they don't make most races a chopping and changing incident filled overtaking packed thrill ride, whats the point?
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    There is some question whether the driver the driver behind , entering the zone , must already be close enough to activate , or whether he may enter the zone , and get close enough inside it , to activate it .
    If he's allowed to enter the zone too far behind to activate , but allowed to minimize the wing once he gets close enough whilst in the zone , then doesn't it open it up that the driver being passed may also activate once passed ?
    That's not confusing at all .

And , doesn't sound dangerous at all , either .
    ( by the way , if you didn't catch the sarcasm dripping from my last two sentences , this is your heads up )

In my opinion , they must allow them to use the device whenever they wish , or ban it .
    It is too friggin dangerous , and waaaaaaaay to friggin complicated any other way .
    Quote Originally Posted by eu
    Amen
    Seconded.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    "The FIA has already successfully tested the software that will be used to manage the wing rules at the races – with the devices activated if a driver gets within one second of the car ahead of him at the corner preceding a designated straight"

So , we'll see drivers ahead , itching to get over the line at which the zone starts , and those behind diving to get in the zone .

I presume we'll get a graphic , so we know whether the pass is legitimate , or if it's the "sitting duck" scenario .

Will both drivers know ?
    Will the guy ahead get a clue as to whether he's a "sitting duck" or not ?
    You'd want to know how fast the guy behind is coming .
    In the past , you got a bit of a clue by the colour of the car at least .

Now , with younger skins , KERS , and the "Magic-Pass Excitement-o-rama" moveable wing behind you , you might as well pull over .
    Don't worry . We'll understand .
    You never had a chance .

And , don't worry that the guy who passed you will get the glory , as there won't be much there when you apply the "sitting duck" discount to his fortune .

For dog sake , let them have free rein , or ban them .

Someone is going to get hurt here ! I hate to say it , but I fear it's true .

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I can't see that movable rear wing lasting past the 3rd gP TBH
    you can't argue with results.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Meh, it's crazy. I think a better solution would just be that you can use it whenever you are using KERS.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    How will this work ?
    You have four drivers , and all are within one second of the car in front .
    Will they all be able to deploy the DRS ?

Is this a five car pile-up waiting to happen ?

They are able to use this thing anywhere in practice and qualifying apparently .
    So , the qualifying pace will never be even close to being touched in the race .

There will be penalties for using the device outside the zone , or unqualified use , but , what will these be ?

And , if it's tight at the end of the race , who will want to be leading the penultimate lap ?

I understand there will , at least , be a "sitting duck" announcer , in the broadcast , to show us who is getting hosed , so we will know when skill is involved in the pass , and not the POS( oh , sorry , I meant DRS) wing thingy .

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Let the teams have unrestricted KERS. If they think the extra power is worth the weight penalty, that's their decision. Mandate a less effective front and rear wing, then let the drivers GO RACING without any stupid gimmicks.

If we ever get reverse grids, ballast, sprinklers, or any of the other nonsense Bernie wants, I'm off.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Let the teams have unrestricted KERS. If they think the extra power is worth the weight penalty, that's their decision. Mandate a less effective front and rear wing, then let the drivers GO RACING without any stupid gimmicks.

If we ever get reverse grids, ballast, sprinklers, or any of the other nonsense Bernie wants, I'm off.
    Weight has been regarded as a handicap but people forget that in 2009 Ferrari did a lot of work in shedding weight (which in turn compromised their development of the diffusers that year)

A problem with KERS is the cost of developing an unrestricted system.