Page 60 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1050585960
    Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    I just don't see a manufacturer coming back with an "old" car... I wonder what commercial value would have for them to officially support M-Sport with Fiesta Mk6, with a new car would be another thing, but has Ford any "newer" car suitable for WRC?
    Exactly, there is no change whatsoever for Ford to come back officially in 2015 or 2016. If they do make a comeback (which I very much doubt), it is going to be in 2017 at the earliest - new rules, new car. Also, if Toyota is coming back to WRC from 2017 and VW & Hyundai are still in the game I don't really see any sense in a Ford comeback without a true financial commitment on the level of VW, Hyundai and possibly Toyota.

What I do believe is M-Sport "rent a car" team continuing in 2015/16 with Mr. Wilson all the time looking to find a possible new factory partner. Evans will stay, whoever is gonna be the second/third car remains to be seen. Kubica and Tänak are strong possibilities. There have been some rumors that M-Sport might run with Pirelli tyres, in exchange for some Pirelli financial support...

2. Likes: Andre Oliveira (28th August 2014),Fast Eddie WRC (28th August 2014),HaCo (28th August 2014),Micke_VOC (29th August 2014),Mihai (28th August 2014),Motorsportfun (29th August 2014)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by [WRCRR] View Post
    Exactly, there is no change whatsoever for Ford to come back officially in 2015 or 2016. If they do make a comeback (which I very much doubt), it is going to be in 2017 at the earliest - new rules, new car. Also, if Toyota is coming back to WRC from 2017 and VW & Hyundai are still in the game I don't really see any sense in a Ford comeback without a true financial commitment on the level of VW, Hyundai and possibly Toyota.

What I do believe is M-Sport "rent a car" team continuing in 2015/16 with Mr. Wilson all the time looking to find a possible new factory partner. Evans will stay, whoever is gonna be the second/third car remains to be seen. Kubica and Tänak are strong possibilities. There have been some rumors that M-Sport might run with Pirelli tyres, in exchange for some Pirelli financial support...
    Thanks Colin.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    I just don't see a manufacturer coming back with an "old" car... I wonder what commercial value would have for them to officially support M-Sport with Fiesta Mk6, with a new car would be another thing, but has Ford any "newer" car suitable for WRC?
    Well, M-Sport have now at least introduced the facelifted car now, so they are now rallying the car Ford are actually selling in the showrooms. And look at VW, they entered the WRC with what was by 2013 a Polo that was over three years 'old'.

Saying that though, I can't see Ford coming back now before the next Fiesta comes out post 2017. I thought they might come back this year or next with the facelifted Fiesta, but as we haven't heard anything by now I can't see it happening.

Liked 9,337 Times in 4,957 Posts
    Even if Ford wanted to came back as an official manufacturer team, I cant see that the last few years results would encourage them to continue with M-Sport...

And is M-Sport actually getting good PR themselves by carrying on and getting regularly beaten by the full manufacturer teams ?
    #M-SPORTER

Liked 1,250 Times in 679 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about M-Sport, and PR; the GT3 Bentley in the Blancpain Endurance series is providing more than enough.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 385 Times in 191 Posts
    This is the kind of something different he should have done long time ago

Liked 172 Times in 75 Posts
    Mikko can still be a great No.2 driver, so he might be a good option for Hyundai. A new team with no budget worries and a plan for the future will no doubt help him mentally.

9. Likes: Rallyper (29th August 2014)
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I disagree. Mikko would be a great third driver of the team. If Hyundai wants to be a champ, they need two fast drivers BUT, they also need someone with experience with developing the car. Now, I don't know if there's faster drivers available than Mikko but if there isn't the situation is bad. WRC needs new blood. I've always said that it's better to burn out than fade away. Mikko's has been fading away and that is also sad. He is a great guy and has won what, 15 rallies. Everyone here knows that he is faster than he has driven last couple of years. Back to the point. He would have something usefull to give for a new team developmentwise but the his prize tag should be way lower in order to raise any interest. My two cents and my two cents are free.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 646 Times in 348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F. View Post
    He is a great guy and has won what, 15 rallies.
    Some of which are thanks to team leader status which saw number two sacrificing a position in favour of Mikko.

My opinion, not necessarily substantiated by reality, is that Mikko is a prime example of why number two should not be relegated to "make it to finish and score solid manufacturer's points for us" -role. While this provides valuable experience for a young driver and benefits the team in the championship, it also educates the driver to go for sure points instead of attacking all out.

Compare Mikko's privateer half-season of 2005 with next few years when he played second fiddle to Gronholm at Ford. In 2005 he had fire in him which I think got somewhat doused during Wilson's coaching for sure finish over out-and-out performance. From Wilson's point of view this was perfectly rational but for Mikko it was wrong approach. Once you learn to make it to finish, you can't switch aggression on if suddenly needed. As per NOT's favourite figure of speech, well beaten dog is never a pack leader.

12. Likes: A.F.F. (30th August 2014)
    Liked 2,836 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Mikko still has much to do. A driver on podium in PS and winning stages although not over all must have a place in teams. Still it´s true many drivers are as fast as Mikko but maybe competition has hardened last year or two. It must have been that way, because other way around WRC hasn´t stopped developed (drivers cars teams).
    Mikko had his peak though before his heavvy crash in Finland 2010 and I do believe it has hampered him since then (a bit)
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...