Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    I don't think there are enough female members in this forum to tell you about those cars
    We all have to start somewhere :

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Finally giving up on your bicycle Paddy?
    Yes and no. I do plan on going back to couriering in the summer but I really do want a car now
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    What do I need the car for? I will be doing a lot of travelling around the country for field recordings and interviews for a music project I'm undertaking, as well as more domestic reasons.
    Well, you could get a transport like this and earn more money on your way by playing your instrument at street corners:

I could really use a fish right now

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wish you luck with your search for a car.

One thing I've never understood is the exorbitant cost of auto insurance in the UK. Everyone seems to fancy themselves as such phenominal drivers compared to the rest of the world. I remember the Top Gear episode where the guys had to pick a car based on insurance. Why are insurance rates seemingly so unbelievably high for everyone? Do you guys play dodge cars on the way to work or something, or is this yet another way the government taxes the living hell out of everything related to automobiles as they do with petrol?

I have a less than perfect driving record( I generally consider speed limits "guidelines"), no accidents of my fault ever. I drive over 30k miles annually and I have 5 cars fully insured, two of which are considered high risk (imported sports cars, high HP/large displacement engines, high repair cost, etc) and I pay $950 a year for my wife and I.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    One thing I've never understood is the exorbitant cost of auto insurance in the UK. Everyone seems to fancy themselves as such phenominal drivers compared to the rest of the world. I remember the Top Gear episode where the guys had to pick a car based on insurance. Why are insurance rates seemingly so unbelievably high for everyone? Do you guys play dodge cars on the way to work or something, or is this yet another way the government taxes the living hell out of everything related to automobiles as they do with petrol?
    Insurance Premium Tax has just increased this year to 6% from 5%. This is paid on various general insurance policies including car insurance and house insurance. Incidentally, Paddy is in the Republic of Ireland and not the UK. I have no idea what taxes they charge in Ireland.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    And yet car insurance companies are making a loss. The problem is as soon as you have an accident them vultures arrive. Personal injury lawyers, plus repair garages charge a fortune when they know insurance is involved. Plus cars generally being much more expensive to repair.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    I have given this a bit of thought and for a 1L car it occured to me that you probably want something stoically boring yet as reliable as a sewing machine.

Can I suggest either a Daihatsu Charade or the 1st Gen Daihatsu Sirion?

Daihatsu is 51 and a bit percent owned by Toyota and "shares" technology with them. The 1L donk in both the Charade and the Sirion are both derivatives of Toyota engines.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Don't buy a car unless you really have the means to keep up with it's financial requirements. And I am very serious about this, save yourself the headache.
    So true. Your initial outlay is a fraction of the upkeap; check the insurance, rego, tyres, and any maintenance/repairs that will come up. Until you can afforr to run a car, stay with the bicycle and public transport. Sorry to be such a spoilt sport.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Why are insurance rates seemingly so unbelievably high for everyone? Do you guys play dodge cars on the way to work or something,
    The UK has the safest roads in the world after Finland I believe. The UK has 7 deaths per 100,000 vehicles, the US has 15 deaths per 100,000 vehicles.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    The UK has the safest roads in the world after Finland I believe. The UK has 7 deaths per 100,000 vehicles, the US has 15 deaths per 100,000 vehicles.
    If that is the case (and I'm not disputing that it is), then why would you pay so much more for insurance? Deaths per mile do not always line up with claims dollars per mile, but there must be some reason for the higher rates if they exist.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    Incidentally, Paddy is in the Republic of Ireland and not the UK. I have no idea what taxes they charge in Ireland.
    It works off engine size and is there is a standard tax charge, rising for every 100cc on the vehicle. Up to 1000cc is €172 per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Can I suggest either a Daihatsu Charade or the 1st Gen Daihatsu Sirion?
    Thanks for that. I will look into it, never considered that car.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam