Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    Isn't the whole point to get more and more viewers to watch F1?
    It seems to be to get more and more money into F1. I agree it's likely to alienate the casual viewer, and even enthusiasts like yourself, but does that really matter to Bernie. By the time that happens the tv contract has been signed and the money is in the bank.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    The same thing happened here in South Africa, the satalite channel got the exclusive live coverage and the free-to-air couldn't pay for it from 2007. So now you have to pay the R560 a month for live sport of basically anything.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Well.. it seems RCS-RDS want to buy UPC so who knows. The cable market will be all but dead but hey...all romanian fans will be able to follow f1. All 10 of us :

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I certainly don't like the idea that sometime in the future F1 coverage may not be available on free-to-air tv here in the UK, but as the commercial rights holder isn't it Bernie's job to make money for FOM & CVC? That's what he's doing, and has done very well for many years.
    I believe you are correct Arrows.
    The majority owner of the FOM is the CVC group who is currently funding F1 media distribution via a $3B(?) loan secured a few years ago by, I believe, the Royal Bank of Scotland. Bernie, although a minority shareholder in the FOM, has been entrusted to manage the commercial F1 revenues on behalf of the FOM shareholders. He is thus obliged to do all he can to maximize revenues to help repay the loan.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    I believe you are correct Arrows.
    The majority owner of the FOM is the CVC group who is currently funding F1 media distribution via a $3B(?) loan secured a few years ago by, I believe, the Royal Bank of Scotland. Bernie, although a minority shareholder in the FOM, has been entrusted to manage the commercial F1 revenues on behalf of the FOM shareholders. He is thus obliged to do all he can to maximize revenues to help repay the loan.
    But he does need to consider long term as well as short term revenues. Taking the most lucrative deal now may not be in the best interests of the shareholders if it diminishes the customer base for the future.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I bet it's particularly off putting as I'm sure you would subscribe to the F1 channel if you could, but you aren't even being given that choice.
    Nail - hit - head. I would happily make the call right now without worrying about how much that channel would cost, but yeah, I'm not even given that choice, and that's the frustrating part. I actually signed a contract with this said cable provider last year, so that I could watch MotoGP, and since F1 was still on the terrestrial channel, but they didn't come for over 6 months since they said they didn't have "adequate equipment", at which point I canceled the contract with them and went to their rivals, who installed everything that afternoon itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce D
    The same thing happened here in South Africa, the satalite channel got the exclusive live coverage and the free-to-air couldn't pay for it from 2007. So now you have to pay the R560 a month for live sport of basically anything.
    The channel that airs F1 and MotoGP in India is not terrestrial either. It's broadcast on Star Sports or ESPN, depending on which channel they have live cricket on. And I guess that's pretty much the case in South Asia. The difference is that these two channels do not belong to any particular company, but are included in all of their basic sports packages, much like Eurosport in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by eu
    Well.. it seems RCS-RDS want to buy UPC so who knows. The cable market will be all but dead but hey...all romanian fans will be able to follow f1. All 10 of us :
    How great would it be if they did buy UPC, hopefully before the first race! And I'm sure there are plenty of Romanian F1 fans, who if given the chance, would voice their concerns over this. And besides, as is the case with almost all European countries, the average person doesn't concern themselves with anything more than Football. Same in India, where cricket is the religion and the average fan could care less about F1. Probably the evil warlord Ecclestone understands this, and that's why forces the hand of F1 enthusiasts like us.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    How great would it be if they did buy UPC, hopefully before the first race! And I'm sure there are plenty of Romanian F1 fans, who if given the chance, would voice their concerns over this. And besides, as is the case with almost all European countries, the average person doesn't concern themselves with anything more than Football. Same in India, where cricket is the religion and the average fan could care less about F1. Probably the evil warlord Ecclestone understands this, and that's why forces the hand of F1 enthusiasts like us.
    I can't say that I mind the change we have over here. DigiSport broadcasts the free practice sessions too (so far).... which is something no other channel ever did. A few years back they didn't even broadcast the qualis... so far it goes for the better with every change.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I certainly don't like the idea that sometime in the future F1 coverage may not be available on free-to-air tv here in the UK, but as the commercial rights holder isn't it Bernie's job to make money for FOM & CVC? That's what he's doing, and has done very well for many years.
    It would be a commercial suicide if F1 went to PPV in big countries like UK, USA or Germany. Considering the ridicolous artificial product they are giving us now, I can imagine the demand not being that high. I wouldnt pay for sure, just for principle. If they go back to real tracks and non-artificial rules, then no problems, I would cough out the money at once.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    It would be a commercial suicide if F1 went to PPV in big countries like UK, USA or Germany. Considering the ridicolous artificial product they are giving us now, I can imagine the demand not being that high. I wouldnt pay for sure, just for principle. If they go back to real tracks and non-artificial rules, then no problems, I would cough out the money at once.
    I would presume that calculations have proved that there is more to lose from going pay-per-view in those sorts of countries than there is to gain. It would be a very unwise move — one only has to look at the viewing figures for even quite major football matches on Sky in the UK to see that the audience is still limited.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    It always used to be the case that F1 preferred to be on a free-to-air service, as the massive audience benefited it more than the subscription revenue. I guess Bernie wants the money in his pocket rather than being wasted on sponsors
    Most free to air broadcasters can no longer afford the broadcast rights anymore, hence pay per view broadcasters are picking up the broadcast right, as happened over here.
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.