Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry F1 broadcasting monopoly

Well, I've just been passed the news that the country where I'm in now, the exclusive rights to broadcast F1 have been given to a channel which belongs to a cable company, and no other cable company can air that channel. So, this means that unless I have a contract with that cable company, I won't be able to watch live F1, which is quite amazing because a month ago I made a new contract with their rivals for a full year. What's even more amazing is that the exclusive broadcasting rights for MotoGP for 2011 also belong to this company, so effectively my MotoGP season is ruined as well. I think the FOM and Dorna have dropped the ball big time with this.

This is ridiculous. A similar thing happened when I was back home in India, where the WSBK rights were given to a channel which belonged to a cable company, and so people who didn't subscribe to that company, missed the whole 2007 season.

Shouldn't the FOM investigate, before giving away the rights, whether the channel is at least available to all cable providers in that country or not? What they have done here is force F1 fans to either jump ship or not watch F1 at all. This is the kind of douchebaggery that forces people to look for online live streaming websites or torrents, and then the FOM cries about that. Has anybody else had to go through the same problem? I know F1 is on BBC in UK and Speed TV in the states, and I'm guessing both of those channels are not exclusive to any cable company. In India it's on ESPN/Star Sports, which again is available to all cable TV providers. I have no idea about other countries.

P.S: BTW for those who care, I'm in Romania right now, and the exclusive rights to F1 have been stripped from TVR 1 and given to a channel called Digi Sport, which belongs to a company called RDS/RCS, and in December I made a one year contract with UPC for their HD channels. I thought heck, I'm gonna be here for one year at least, let's enjoy HD. I am guessing, and hoping that the Hungarian channel RTL Klub still has rights to broadcast F1, because I thankfully have that.

Apparently there were major complaints about the commentators on TVR 1, and probably some other issues as well, so it went to Digi Sport who now promise much better commentators.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am led to believe there are ways of watching the BBC coverage online from outside the UK, but couldn't possibly comment.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    You are correct about Speed TV in the US. It is one of the FOX networks, and as such is carried by both the major satelitte TV companies (DirecTV and Dish) as well as most of the cable companies across the states. I orginally had Suddenlink Cable but switched to DirecTV specifcly because Suddenlink (at the time) refused to pick up Speed HD and most of Speeds's NASCAR programming was being shown in HD. Of course, it hadn't made a difference for F1 because Bernie and Co. refused to show us F1 in HD until the upcoming season.

As for FOM doing their homework, I belive they did. Bernie was angling to squeeze every last penny he could from your purse and by selling EXCLUSIVE rights to just one network in your country allows that company to charge more money for it, so more money into Bernie's coffers. He could care less that the people who have the other company can't see it if they aren't paying HIM for it. I won't be shocked to see something like that happen here in the US in 2012-2013 time frame, right about the time the US Grand Prix returns.
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    It always used to be the case that F1 preferred to be on a free-to-air service, as the massive audience benefited it more than the subscription revenue. I guess Bernie wants the money in his pocket rather than being wasted on sponsors
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    It always used to be the case that F1 preferred to be on a free-to-air service, as the massive audience benefited it more than the subscription revenue. I guess Bernie wants the money in his pocket rather than being wasted on sponsors
    I'm sure this is still a consideration, they have to balance TV revenue against reaching the audience. If Bernie tried to switch UK F1 coverage to Sky Sports or ESPN the backlash would be massive. Sadly I suspect Romanian F1 fans are sufficiently far away and few in number for Bernie to feel he can ignore them

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    F1 in the UK has always been on terrestrial TV - i.e. that which is broadcast free to air over ordinary analogue TV signals. And by extension is also broadcast via digital terrestrian. ITV and BBC are also available (by law) on every cable and satellite TV setup.

The main sports channels here are Sky Sports and ESPN. I beileve (although I stand ready to be corrected) that Sky are legally required to provide their sports channels to the main cable provider (Virgin Media)
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1
    As for FOM doing their homework, I belive they did. Bernie was angling to squeeze every last penny he could from your purse and by selling EXCLUSIVE rights to just one network in your country allows that company to charge more money for it, so more money into Bernie's coffers.
    I certainly don't like the idea that sometime in the future F1 coverage may not be available on free-to-air tv here in the UK, but as the commercial rights holder isn't it Bernie's job to make money for FOM & CVC? That's what he's doing, and has done very well for many years.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    F1 in the UK has always been on terrestrial TV - i.e. that which is broadcast free to air over ordinary analogue TV signals. And by extension is also broadcast via digital terrestrian. ITV and BBC are also available (by law) on every cable and satellite TV setup.

The main sports channels here are Sky Sports and ESPN. I beileve (although I stand ready to be corrected) that Sky are legally required to provide their sports channels to the main cable provider (Virgin Media)
    I think that's how it should be. Live sports coverage shouldn't be exclusive to any cable company. Imagine if you can't watch the football World Cup in Europe because some cable company moghul paid up FIFA to acquire exclusive broadcasting rights, forcing everyone to switch to his company. Unfair for the fans and doesn't help the image a bit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I certainly don't like the idea that sometime in the future F1 coverage may not be available on free-to-air tv here in the UK, but as the commercial rights holder isn't it Bernie's job to make money for FOM & CVC? That's what he's doing, and has done very well for many years.
    Yeah, but this move is very bad for business and could even alienate the casual viewer if he has to pay or make a new contract just to be able to watch F1 live on a Sunday afternoon. Plus, this would be detrimental in getting new fans as well. How I became an F1 fan was just casually switching channels one Sunday afternoon and stumbling upon F1, and I'm sure many more got interested in a similar fashion. With F1 broadcasting exclusive to some cable company, the chances of that happening are reduced by a great deal IMO. Isn't the whole point to get more and more viewers to watch F1?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I bet it's particularly off putting as I'm sure you would subscribe to the F1 channel if you could, but you aren't even being given that choice.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums