Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Tilke ?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Bagwan, you beat me to the Whitmarsh comment about Cleveland. He's right, it CAN be very easy. look how simple the track is in cleveland, yet F1 would never in a million years lower itself to run a race on such a temporary track.

Vettel's comment made me a little sick to be honest.

"World champion Sebastian Vettel admits that he hopes the overtaking aids this year do not make passing in F1 commonplace.

"When you do overtake, it should be something valuable -- a major achievement, like a goal in soccer," he told Sport Bild."

granted that comment is about the soft tires and moveable wings, but good lord. Fans at the track aren't paying hundreds and thousands of dollars/pounds or whatever to see the race reult determined in qualifying! That sounds like a comment from a driver that knows he doesn't have a dominating car like he did last year.

Passing is EXACTLY what fans want to see, and his example is precisely why I liked to play but can rarely stand watching Soccer/Footbal.l
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    Passing is EXACTLY what fans want to see,
    Yes, you are correct, but artificially facilitated passing, where the press of a button 'makes it happen' rather than the skillful catching, management of the tyres in the dirty air and then the actual pass, from lining it up to pulling it off (steady, phnaar phnaar) successfully.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    It was a good interview with Martin Whitmarsh - and i agree entirely about Cleveland, and his comment about AbuDhabi - great facility, but an opportunity missed with the track - a long straight, but with a chicane with 1 ine through it. The 'Tilke-Bernie new track rule' sums up everything wrong with modern day F1. They all look as if they are designed by the same bloke - and that's not good. Where is the variety? Portimao is quite a good one, and Istanbul wasn't bad either, but the rest are.....hmmmm...as for Hockenheim - a travesty, a complete butchering of a track that was completely different from anything else.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What I don't understand with Abu Dhabi is they DO have the option of bypassing that 5-6-7 Chicane. Is the grandstand really that close thet can't take the hairpin straight in?

Tilke does seem adept at placing a kink in a straight just where it shouldn't be for overtaking. I don't want a series of dragstrips linked but corners, but give us some nice double pass opportunities like old tracks do. I think Turkey has proven to be his best work. It's unfortunate the attendance is generally horrible, but that seems to be the case at most of the new tracks he has designed. Not sure if that's totally the track's fault, or F1 for choosing the newest venues in the first place. To a TV fan, most of them just blow.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Yes, you are correct, but artificially facilitated passing, where the press of a button 'makes it happen' rather than the skillful catching, management of the tyres in the dirty air and then the actual pass, from lining it up to pulling it off (steady, phnaar phnaar) successfully.

F1 is never (or should never) going to become packed with overtaking just by pushing a button, as said above it has to be a battle, and be earned.

We can't put these gimmicks in place just to have every race as a Villeneuve v Arnoux battle all race.
    These moments like Villeneuve v Arnoux should be the pinicle. Yes they are great and we love them when they happen i.e Kubica v Massa, but to try and artifically create these moments is wrong.

Watch the above mentioned battles and you realise the skill, bravery and tactical awareness of F1 drivers.
    Then think of a similar battle in F1 2015 and have Hamilton and Vettel sitting back pressing a button every 20 seconds and getting the same result.

I'd rather see one of these battles every 5, 10 years, than see one 10 times a race knowing a computer engineer somewhere is doing a good job.

And beside Some of the best racing is when there is only the potential to overtake.

For example Imola 2005 and 2006. Two cracking battles between Alonso and Schumacher but no actual overtaking took place.

Also when Hakkinen for just one example passed Schumi at Spa in 2000, with Zonta as a mobile chicane, it was epic but after that Hakkinen sped away, so the overtaking wasn't the only excitement but just the climax of 4 or 5 laps of excitement.

So for me an F1 race where people are pressing buttons and pulling levers and overtaking at every corner does not fill me with the same passion as 20+ drivers using their skill and judgement to provide the sort of overtaking we saw at Silverstone 2003 for example.

Football doesn't end 4-4 every game but people don't moan everytime their is a 0-0 and insist on free shots or one team being reduced to 8 players for 10 minutes in order to see lots of goals.

The match itself is what matters not always the content.

F1 has been and should always be a fight between driver and car v driver and car. Simples
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Overtaking shouldn't be easy - however if you have a faster car, then you should expect to be able to do this. Too much talk of ovetaking is pandering to 'The Show'.....and the casual TV watcher.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Overtaking shouldn't be easy - however if you have a faster car, then you should expect to be able to do this. Too much talk of ovetaking is pandering to 'The Show'.....and the casual TV watcher.
    These are the audience members that Bernie is trying to grow and keep hooked onto F1. The hardcore race fans are rare, but the casual viewer who decides to watch a race on a Sunday morning make up the bulk of F1 viewers. I see F1 going down the same direction as wrestling did under Vince McMahon. The entertainment factor must take precedence over the racing in order for F1 to be a commercial success.

Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But history has shown that every time they try to improve the 'show' and the 'package' then the product itself gets worse and people get less interested. Just look at WRC, they meddled and meddled with that to 'improve' it, and now it's a shadow of it's former self.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

How far will Bernie go to keep it popular though? Personally, it's been dumbed down too far already.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Racing was better when cars were overpowered, less controlled and tracks were longer, narrower, dictated largely by their surroundings and well, probably less safe. Now we race in tracks in the middle of nowhere,are so wide they may as well be parking lots, the power to downforce balance is totally out of whack, and the drivers are well, not so impressive in their race craft.
    HINCHTOWN!!