Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your Racing Fitness and Nutrition Questions Answered Here

Hey everyone. My name is Russ Bohaty. I am the personal trainer NASCAR's Kasey Kahne and the Kasey Kahne Race team as well Travis Rilat of Sprint. I have been a fitness trainer to elite amateur and pro athletes for over 2 decades. I am originally from Minnesota and currently live outside of Dallas, Texas.

I am new to computers, but it is an exciting tool to connect with more people who are into racing. Mark was kind enough to give me the ok to offer myself up for your questions about improving your results through better race-focused fitness. My goal is to meet as many racers as possible and share what I know. A resource like this forum allows me to more easily do that.

Feel free to ask me any questions on mental and physical preparation for peak performance on the track. I'll do my best to answer your questions fully and completely. I'll try to check in here daily and answer you promptly.

Best to everyone. Here's to winning!

Russ
    Check out an actual sport specific workout for auto and moto racers.
    http://racersworkout.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lay the truth on us: is the hype about Mark Martin's fitness on and off the track legit? hahaha
    RaceTownUSA - Indianapolis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great to have you on this forum forum, Russ.

I have three questions at the top of my head for you...

1. What type of exercises do you do with racers to improve the strength of their necks?

2. What type of cross training exercise do you normally due with racers (cycling, rowing, swimming, running, yoga, etc.)?

3. How much weight training is really involved when you train racers?

Thank you.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    RTA,

Glad you asked. In my opinion, no one in Sprint Cup works harder at the fitness and taking care of himself part of of the job. Mark said in one article that I read that the key in his mind to fitness is being consistent so that it is part of your regular habits. He would know. The longevity and production on the track speak for itself. Mark is the real deal.

Russ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWS
    Great to have you on this forum forum, Russ.

I have three questions at the top of my head for you...

1. What type of exercises do you do with racers to improve the strength of their necks?

2. What type of cross training exercise do you normally due with racers (cycling, rowing, swimming, running, yoga, etc.)?

3. How much weight training is really involved when you train racers?

Thank you.

ICWS,

Good questions. I'll answer them itemized.

1. Re: neck strengthening. My favorite for my guys is neck stretchs. Lay on your back go chin to chest. Lay on right side keep head strait go up and down. Same on left side. Then get on your back again. Turn your head all the way to the right then all way to the left. Do 4 sets of 20 of each. The last part is important: Repeat the same with your helmet on. 4 more sets of 20. The neck is one of those areas that when focused on, gets strong while you increase flexibility. Important area for racers.

2. Re: Cross training for racers. I want my clients to keep it fun and keep active. Whatever they enjoy. The work in the gym is work and the cross training is the reward. Kasey and the Kahne boys like to do Motocross actually. I am all for it.

3. Re: How much weight training when I train racers? Minimum 1 hour, 2 days a week. The thing I try to impress upon my people is doing things the right way with the correct form, moreso than total time. These fellas are busy. But they aren't any different than you and I. We're going a mile a minute in our lives too. My philosophy is max impact and results. This means you must keep your mind locked in to the present.

I hope I answered your questions for you. You have more, bring them. Suffice to say, I think there is a huge difference in results between the racer that does sport specific training and those that don't. That goes for any racer at any level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great read re: Mark Martin and race physical fitness

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTownUSA
    Lay the truth on us: is the hype about Mark Martin's fitness on and off the track legit? hahaha

I had this in my save files and wanted to share it with everyone. Great thoughts in there about Mark and the edge it gives him to be in such peak shape. The gentleman from Indianapolis makes a great point: racers are athletes. Sometimes non-racers laugh at the notion. They definitely shouldn't.

http://motorsports.fanhouse.com/2010...workout-buffs/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you look at the NASCAR circuit and really any pro circuit these days the number of lean athletes far outnumbers the portly ones. A thinner fitter driver has the essential physical strength and stamina to power through when it is winning time.

If your goal is to lose some extra weight to improve your health and to start performing better on the track, try this: eat all, or most all your food from the outer aisles of the super market rather than the interior numbered aisles. So start eating more real food. More meats, chicken, fish, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, nuts. Eat less frozen dinners, canned or boxed foods.

Try it for a week. You will be amazed at the results all around.

Best,

Russ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The mind is still the greatest weapon in the world; every racecar driver needs to start each year prepared physically, AND mentally to be the best they can be.

From my Helmet Talks series. I believe strongly that the mental must be in even better condition than the physical. Helmet Talks are my reminders to my pro racer clients right before they are set to start a race. Guys like Kasey Kahne started telling me how much they enjoy them, so I kept it up. I'll share more of them with you all as we go along. You can get all of them on my racers trainer site as well.

The thing that always stands out with the elite racers is that their mental approach drives their success in all areas. I always considered it crucial in my job as a trainer to maintain focus on that area for them. My main goal is to have all the racers I meet out here to take the mindset that mental mastery is the difference.

Russ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's another question for you Russ:

How many different racers have you trained in your career (Stock Car, Open Wheel, Drag Racing, Motorcycling, etc.) and which these racers were the fittest amongst all of the racers you worked with?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWS
    Here's another question for you Russ:

How many different racers have you trained in your career (Stock Car, Open Wheel, Drag Racing, Motorcycling, etc.) and which these racers were the fittest amongst all of the racers you worked with?
    ICSW,

Oh about either side of 30 on the pro to elite level. The moto cross racers were the most fit generally mostly because of their age. It seemed to come easier for them because of that. Honestly, all different racers I have worked with did themselves proud. The thing to remember is that moto cross bodies take by far the most punishment so youth has to be on there side. I give the fitness emphasis in the moto cross credit as far as bringing all kinds of extreme trainning to the other motor sports . Motorsports still has a long way to go to catch up to the big "stick and ball" sports. With our Racers Workout program, we are out to change that. The better shape racers are in mentally, physically and even spiritually through mastering themselves physically/mentally, the better our sport will be. You are seeing it at the elite level, but there are pro and amateur circuits all around the country. Those racers all have dreams and goals too. Their races are no less important then what you see on Fox or ESPN.

I could go all day on the unique needs of racers as athletes.

Hopefully as we all move forward together, we'll shed light on that too.

Russ