Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

2011 Regional Rallies Championships Sporting Regs

2011 Regional Rallies Championships Sporting Regs
    http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public..._Regs&Appx.pdf
    'Heroes don't die, they just move on to the next stage.' CMac Forever

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Yes, Todt, Chandler, Berger and Richards enforced 1.6T into regulations despite dfiance other people. But it is still politics, big pushes, big money. FIA is still the same (or better some of the top people at FIA has the same manners...

Liked 407 Times in 272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto
    Yes, Todt, Chandler, Berger and Richards enforced 1.6T into regulations despite dfiance other people. But it is still politics, big pushes, big money. FIA is still the same (or better some of the top people at FIA has the same manners...
    Or rather "NO" manners, quite crazy decision in my opinion.

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    I think it was this DR was appealing to. If FIA wouldn’t have change the decision they’ve violated their own rules.

“Changes to sporting rules and to all regulations other than those referred to in b) above are published at least 20 days prior to the opening date for entry applications for the championship concerned, but never later than 30 November each year.”

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public...Nov2010_EN.pdf

But also looking at the paragraph b)/(i), the technical regulations should have been ready by 30th of June but I don’t think the final WRC engine rules was set by that date. The restrictor size for super production cars haven’t been decided yet and that’s an issue IMO has “substantial impact on the technical design of the vehicle and/or the balance of performance between the car”.

But anyway, what do you think about S2000 1.6T cars. IMO they’re a double-barreled thing. On the other hand it’s good that with same basic car a driver can attend both regional and WRC events. On the other hand again it seems that the super production cars (S2000 1.6T) will be a lot more expensive compared to S2000 NA cars.

If a super production Mini’s price is about 405.000 € and the price for a S2000 NA car is 300.000 € at the most, the difference is over 100.000 €. Doing some calculations with figures Eppel gave few years ago, the price of a S2000 NA engine is about 50.000 € (40.000-45.000 € few years ago) and subtracting that from 300.000 €, the price of a S2000 without an engine would be 250.000 €. 405.000 – 250.000 = 155.000 €. IMO 155.000 € for a turbo direct injection engine and a gearbox that can cope with the higher torque of a turbo engine is quite a lot! Knowing that some of the current S2000 cars already use a gearbox that can cope with higher torque than necessary, the 105.000 € would be alone for the engine.

Your thoughts?

Here is a copy of the article 199.

199. Amendments to regulations:

The FIA may make such changes, as it deems necessary to the regulations. Such changes will be published and will come into effect in accordance with the following provisions.

a) Safety
    Changes that the FIA makes to the regulations for safety reasons may come into effect without notice or delay.

b) Technical design of the vehicle

(i) d Changes to technical regulations or to Appendix J, adopted by the FIA, will be published no later than 30 June each year ancome into effect no earlier than 1 January of the year following their publication, unless the FIA considers that the changes in question are likely to have a substantial impact on the technical design of the vehicle and/or the balance of performance between the cars, in which case they will come into effect no earlier than 1 January of the second year following their publication.

(ii) Changes concerning Formula One come into effect in accordance with the regulations specific
    to that category.

c) Sporting rules and other regulations

Changes to sporting rules and to all regulations other than those referred to in b) above are published at least 20 days prior to the opening date for entry applications for the championship concerned, but never later than 30 November each year. Such changes cannot come into effect before 1 January of the year following their publication, unless the FIA considers that the changes in question are likely to have a substantial impact on the technical design of the vehicle and/or the balance of performance between the cars, in which case they will come into effect no earlier than 1 January of the second year following their publication. d) Shorter notice periods than those mentioned in b) and c) may be applied, provided that the unanimous agreement of all competitors properly entered for the championship or series concerned is obtained.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Fabia S2000 engine Evo 2 (2010) costs 45 thousand Euro. X-Trac 532 gearbox costs 22 thousand Euro and can work with 600 Nm of torque.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    That would mean in the case of Skoda a margin of 105.000 € -(45.000 € + 22.000) = 38.000 € which is 36% margin. But in the case that only the engine has to be replaced, the difference would be 60.000 €. The margin would then be 57% which is quite good business.

The 36% margin is not so very high (both engine and gearbox) considering these are special equipments. While I’m self been working some time with repairing and maintenance different equipments, I don’t see a margin of 36% so big comparing with the margin the companies I’ve worked with charged for the spare parts.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    30 mm restrictor for S2000 1.6T in 2011 yesterday officially approved - http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11727

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto
    30 mm restrictor for S2000 1.6T in 2011 yesterday officially approved - http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=11727
    And now? Does a 30mm restrictor ensure that the performance balance between s2000 cars and s1.6T cars is "fair"? Or have s2000 cars nothing to do?

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    If a WRC with 33 mm has 330 Hp, S2000 1.6T with same engine but 30 mm should be around 270-280 Hp. N/A S2000 have around 280-300 Hp but with much less torque, so we'll see...
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thnx Mirek. If I´m not wrong, I guess then than the less slippery the rally is, the best times a s2000 can reach against 1.6T cars, because the less need of torque ( although if there are a lot of slow curves...). Am I right?