Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BRC to be two wheel drive only in 2012

PRESS RELEASE For Immediate release 04/01/11
    Dulux Trade MSA British Rally Championship

BRC spells out its future from 2012
    Spelling out the vision for the future, UK Rally, organisers of the Dulux Trade MSA British Rally Championship have confirmed that the series will be open to two wheel drive cars only from 2012 onwards. The move is designed to re-establish and lower the cost base for competitors, engage with UK Car Manufacturers and Importers and put the BRC on a firm footing for the next five years.
    The 2012 Championship will solely focus on competition with homologated two wheel drive cars up to two litre engine capacity, as well as cars that are still homologated in groups A & N, it includes the new breed of Group R class cars currently produced by Renault, Peugeot, Suzuki, Ford and Citroën. Following discussions with manufacturers it is also known that other marques are expected to homologate two wheel drive cars in 2011 these include Mini and Skoda.
    Manufacturer based single make series will continue to feature as the foundation and ongoing discussions about incentives include works-drive type prizes similar to those run successfully in the past by Peugeot UK and Mitsubishi GB.
    The series will retain its international status which has been successful in attracting foreign competitors from all over the world. The MSA British Rally Championship for drivers and co-drivers will be fought out in overall honours from qualifying international rallies limited to two wheel drive cars. The British Teams Championship will once again become a manufacturer and model featured series, which as well as being open to factory teams will encourage participation from privately owned motorsport outfits running their own works supported cars.
    The British Junior Championship will be focused on the Rally 1 class, a manufacturer backed one make series, where budding juniors will be able to showcase their talent and incentives will be provided so that natural progression up the Group R categories is realised.
    Contracts that are already in place for 2012 include Sky Sports who will continue to showcase the series with high definition technology. Pirelli will continue to provide the control tyres and with it, the coveted Star Driver programme.
    “We are at a cusp in the sport and firm leadership is required. Having spent months in discussions with competitors, teams, car manufacturers and organisers, I believe this is the future for the British Rally Championship. With the loss of Group N, retaining four wheel drive cars and the rising costs attributed to that type of car is just unsustainable here in the UK.
    2011 will be the final year for the four wheel drive, Group N and Super 2000 cars in the BRC. We have not made it a secret that we were going to move in this direction but with competitors looking at significant investments, I couldn’t delay the announcement any longer. One season notice gives current owners time to realise their investment whilst giving prospective purchasers a choice.
    Our focus on creating a world renowned series for potential rally champions, keeping a lid on the costs, providing good competition, camaraderie and a place where competitors have ambition to compete using the very best events in the UK, remains resolute.”
    For more information on the Dulux Trade MSA British Rally Championship visit http://www.rallybrc.co.uk
    ENDS

Discuss!!!!

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Hmm, I don't think that it's good decision. To have lower cost is for sure one way to attract more competitors but in my opinion more public interest is more important. And it's quite impossible to make more people watching and enjoying rally with 2WD FWD cars (there are almost no modern RWD with FIA homologation). These cars are too slow and boring in places where general public is watching like hairpins or junctions.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Hmm, I don't think that it's good decision. To have lower cost is for sure one way to attract more competitors but in my opinion more public interest is more important. And it's quite impossible to make more people watching and enjoying rally with 2WD FWD cars (there are almost no modern RWD with FIA homologation). These cars are too slow and boring in places where general public is watching like hairpins or junctions.
    I think youve summed it up pretty well, I think rallying in this country will slip even further off the radar with this decision.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At first glance it might be a case of "Oh, no", but thinking more about it, then it does make some sense. Cars will be more affordable, and probably cheaper to run, and could lead to renegotiation of Forestry Commission charges as they will be a lot less damaging (again reducing costs).

Okay they will not be as fast, but there again how many drivers touch the potential of 4wd cars? Same number could make fwd reasonable to watch, and there again how long is it since spectators have been present in large numbers on BRC rounds??

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    what a joke the brc once was a stepping stone to the wrc not anymore and no good to watch or tv it was bad enough banning wrc car and going to a two make championship ie subaru and mitsubishi but banning 4wd when all the big team are building s2000 car JOKE!!!!!

Liked 106 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Talent
    At first glance it might be a case of "Oh, no", but thinking more about it, then it does make some sense. Cars will be more affordable, and probably cheaper to run, and could lead to renegotiation of Forestry Commission charges as they will be a lot less damaging (again reducing costs).

Okay they will not be as fast, but there again how many drivers touch the potential of 4wd cars? Same number could make fwd reasonable to watch, and there again how long is it since spectators have been present in large numbers on BRC rounds??

WT
    The problem is drivers are already short of money and to go rallying the need money from sponsors and they wont want to invest in a championship that isnt watched by anyone!

I like the s1600 cars like the Swift and the C2 but they just dont capture the general publics attention like a fast WRC car being driven hard.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up

This is great only for the French lobby with R3 cars.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Well I remember the Formula 2 years been very good, although they got too expensive with the kit cars. Maybe it's not a bad move.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    And it's quite impossible to make more people watching and enjoying rally with 2WD FWD cars (there are almost no modern RWD with FIA homologation). These cars are too slow and boring in places where general public is watching like hairpins or junctions.
    This is where the organsisers need to take note & find sections of road that lend themselves to this type of car & get spectators to go there. Something where you hear these things echo through the forests before they get into view & when the do come into view the driver is 100% commited so they don't lose any time.

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    i dont usually read this thread, but it caught my eye when i saw the subject line.

I find it interesting that the BRC need to go to these lengths, when a country in deep darkest Africa can run what looks like 20 S2000 cars this year. Then again we probably dont have the numbers of competitors, so is most likely cancels out those 20 cars.

As mentioned above i dont really follow the BRC, but cant imagine there are to many top drivers who will relish stepping into a 2wd after years of 4wd, its sad what the world economy is doing to the sport.