Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    Xtrac rear differential don’t even need an auxiliary hydraulic pump for handbrake operation.

Here is a brochure of the S2000 version.

http://www.xtrac.com/pdfs/532%20SUPE...FFERENTIAL.pdf
    Thanks OldF, I remember Mazda being the 1st to use it in the GrpA 323 ?. I'd always assumed it was a clutch within the centre diff.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Thanks OldF, I remember Mazda being the 1st to use it in the GrpA 323 ?. I'd always assumed it was a clutch within the centre diff.
    I don’t know what systems earlier grp A cars used but if I’m remember correctly, by the end of 1995 all the grp A cars had an active centre differential, which could be controlled in such a way that when the hand brake is pulled, the centre differentials clutch was not activated.

Xtrac gearboxes used in S2000 have a centre differential as an option. The reason why it’s not used I think is weight saving. The lack of a centre differential doesn’t ruin the cars car's driveability that much that it would be worth using.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    I think it's not because of weight. In my opinion it's more likely because of power loses which are rather important with less powerful normally aspirated engines of S2000 cars. My estimation is that it can save 10-15 Hp.

The other thing is that mechanical center differential is not that useful for car handling as active one.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    That must be the case.

In a Mitsubishi evo 9 dyno graph the max power from the engine was 202,7 kW (276 PS) and the max power from the wheels 170 kW (231 PS). The difference is 45 PS which 16 % of the power from the engine.

Assuming the losses in all three differentials are the same, with one differential less the power on the wheels would increase by 15 PS.

Maybe I know remember why they don’t use a centre differential.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa