Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommi Makinen Racing

Does anyone have any news on TMR for 2011? Well respected company and owner.

I do remember the news of Tommi speaking to the media about TMR is quiet.

Any news on TMR? They have some of the best looking Imprezas
    Nav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From what I've read, he's in trouble moneywise and may not operate in 2011. That's from another thread I looked at earlier this year, now don't quote me on that.
    Marcus: "Tell Corrado, three gears is enough!"

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Stephens
    From what I've read, he's in trouble moneywise and may not operate in 2011. That's from another thread I looked at earlier this year, now don't quote me on that.
    I think the money trouble thing was over exaggerated. TMR made some huge investments few years back and that's why they have not made huge profits, something like that. It was interpreted as money troubles... Those that know better can clear this matter more.

Joonas Lindroos, who ran a TMR Impreza in Finnish championship this season, will run next season as well. And TMR has numerous clients practically everywhere.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 1,367 Times in 710 Posts
    Is Tommi looking into R4 Subaru ?

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    For sure he would like to and also will if the R4 has some success. I don’t think there’s a need for a company like Tommi Mäkinen Racing, Prodrive or similar to update a N4 to R4.

Here are some financial figures for Tommi Mäkinen Racing:

As you can see a decline in the sales (1.115.000 €), big investments and (maybe) fixed costs at the same time is not a good combination. Investment deduction is usually made over many years but for last year the minus is big.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldF
    I don’t think there’s a need for a company like Tommi Mäkinen Racing, Prodrive or similar to update a N4 to R4.
    Tommi told me they're developing the new Subaru R4!

Thanks OldF for the figures (financial, I mean).

Ran into this press release, dated December 10th:

Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI), which has been entrusted with motorsport responsibilities of its parent company, will further enhance support for activities of Subaru WRX STI users who participate in the Group N category during the 2011 season. The Group N category is a category in which modifications to cars are strictly restricted, and thus the performance of the base car is of paramount importance. Also, as the cars compete in a near road-car-state, Group N has gained popularity as a motorsport category in which even beginners can participate. The Intercontinental Rally Challenge (IRC) and the FIA Production Car World Rally Championship (PWRC) are typical examples of such competitions.

Subaru registers itself as a manufacturer in the 2011 IRC
    Following last season, Subaru will register itself as a manufacturer in the 2011 IRC. The IRC is an international rally established in 2007 and run by the European sports TV program provider Eurosport. Results of crews who use the cars of IRC-registered manufactures are eligible for series points, and the rally action is broadcast around the world on Eurosport and other channels, which creates an environment where Group N car users can enjoy rallies through the media.

STI establishes the “2011 SUBARU Challenge Award”
    STI will establish the “2011 SUBARU Challenge Award” for PWRC entrants. The top three drivers in each rally of the 2011 season and the season overall will be given the award along with prize money.
    Rallies: All 7 rounds of the 2011 PWRC
    Eligible drivers: Drivers who are registered in the PWRC for the year and one-off entrants recognized by the organizer are eligible. However, drivers competing in regional or domestic championships held at the same time cannot participate.
    Eligible cars: Subaru Impreza WRX STI Group N (the GRB type which conforms to 2011 FIA Group N regulations)

STI responds to the new 2011 FIA regulations
    STI will develop and sell parts which conform with the new R4 regulation due to become effective in 2011. R4 is a new category which allows official kit to be applied to current Group N cars to strengthen their competitiveness against their competitor S2000 cars. STI has been supporting activities of Group N users who compete in the FIA World Rally Championship and other competitions since 1990. On this occasion, STI will strive to invigorate Subaru motorsport activities by enhancing their support in order to facilitate an environment where users can participate in Group N competitions more easily.
    http://www.fhi.co.jp/english/ir/cont...f_en_65522.pdf

This Finnish feature on the subject adds Tommi Mäkinen Racing into saying:

"... TMR is actively involved in developing the Impreza R4 kit.

- With the new R4 kit we'll improve the performance of Group N Subaru and also its reliability. Car will be 50 kgs lighter, suspension arms will be strenghtened and suspension travel will be longer.

- Next season Group N Subaru's side and rear glasses can be exchanged to lighter plastic. New R4 cars will have better ability to fight against S2000 in Group N. For private drivers this is good, long waited news, says Mäkinen."

Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts

TMR

Visited TMR a few weeks ago.
    At that time there were quite a few cars there.
    Tommi said that he was waiting for the R4 regulations.

It is hard trying to do business if You don't know what You will be selling...
    "San Romolo opettaa"

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorsportfun
    Tommi told me they're developing the new Subaru R4!
    I meant by this if a N4 that has been built by Tommi Mäkinen Racing is send to e.g. South America, it would be costly to send it back to Finland for updating from N4 to R4 and then back again.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa