Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Racism

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-ecutioner
    You said at the start of your post that you're not in denial of such cases, but later you completely contradicted yourself. And just wonderful, so she's probably lying to promote her career, but NO! there can be absolutely NO racism or ethnic hatred or discrimination in Romania in Mr. gadjo dilo's opinion. Romanians are God's gift to the world, and when they fart only bunnies come out, sprinkling flowers, spreading joy and prosperity everywhere.

Why do you have such a hard time admitting that there MIGHT be racist people in your country? I mean you've heard more than enough accounts, but yet you keep trying to dismiss them as lies or in some cases obsession or oversensitivity. This is straight up denial man. I know you're proud of your country and all, but at least try to open your mind to the possibility of something. I am an Indian and I'm man enough to admit that there are plenty of racist incidents and racism in India, which I'm not proud of.

And why the heck would she lie about what happened to her in Romania to move her career forward in America man? I've actually met some Americans who don't even know if a country called Romania exists. They thought it dissolved into Russia. She would get more traction if she said the same lie about a place like UK or Germany, would get way much more press. On top of this, she's a well established singer, and a talented and active one at that too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christina_Milian. As far as acting goes, she's nothing special, but still worthwhile. Also, her ONLY racism complaint was when she came to Romania, so this is clearly not a person who cries racism at every chance.

As for Wesley Snipes and 50 Cent goes, I'm going to take a page out of your book and deny that they DIDN'T have a bad experience. Maybe they had to face racism, but didn't tell anyone. ) In all seriousness though, Snipes is a major movie star and well known, so is 50 Cent as a musician. You can just see Romanian teenagers all dressing up like him, trying to imitate the rapper dress code, while Romanians have not been exposed to Christina Milian that much, so I guess that explains it.
    Now wait a minute...If that is what you understand from my posts you're completely wrong. I want to underline that romanians as a nation aren't racist ( but I admit they're a bit nationalist ) but as every forest has its dryness there are cases when some of them become offensive. But even in those cases it's most likely stupidity than hatred. The incident in the restaurant was obviously a joke and if you like to persist in your belief then be healthy to do it.
    As for Christina Millian, you yourself answered the question. It's easy to say bad things about a country when most of the readers don't know if it even exists. Saying she was discriminated in Germany ( who would believe this? )would have a less impact than saying it happened in some exotic place.
    Then I see you don't understand our psychology at all. A black person is a black person no matter it's famous or not. But a beautiful woman no matter what colour she has is less probable to be the target of offences than an ugly white/black/yellow/green(:laugh person. ( which of course doesn't mean that her "assets " aren't marked with trivial expressions ).

X-ecutioner, I blame you for changing my behaviour! Never in my life I turned my head to study a person. Even if they were a VIP or a woman whose outfit I wanted to copy. But yesterday I was on an escalator with a black guy ( fatality! haven't met one in flesh and blood for weeks ) and we were shoulder to shoulder so I couldn't see his face. Suddenly I became curious: how dark is he? Darker than a southern indian? So when we got off I turned my head and stared for a while. Then I thought: What if he's a member of some forum and he'll start a topic about a weird woman who looked at him as he was a rara avis?

And stop calling me " man " and " mr. ". Everybody knows I'm a woman ( didn't dare to say "lady" ) and I might think you're a misogynist ( to use an euphemism for another type of discrimination).

Romanians are God's gift to the world, and when they fart only bunnies come out, sprinkling flowers, spreading joy and prosperity everywhere..
    This was really mean to say but what can I expect from someone without the minimal sense of humour?
    If I was jewish and guiding by the principle " eye for eye and tooth for tooth " I could say: well, we're not perfect but not that bad either:http://guzgan.ro/5376-frumoasa-india-17-poze.html
    But I'm an othodox living in the magnificent (scarcely because it's far from being perfect ) and colurful world of the Balkans and I just say : forgive him God cos he doesn't know what he's saying. And I just hope that you'll remember how nice I spoke about your country despite seeing hundreds of disgustful pics like those.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Now wait a minute...If that is what you understand from my posts you're completely wrong. I want to underline that romanians as a nation aren't racist ( but I admit they're a bit nationalist ) but as every forest has its dryness there are cases when some of them become offensive. But even in those cases it's most likely stupidity than hatred. The incident in the restaurant was obviously a joke and if you like to persist in your belief then be healthy to do it.
    As for Christina Millian, you yourself answered the question. It's easy to say bad things about a country when most of the readers don't know if it even exists. Saying she was discriminated in Germany ( who would believe this? )would have a less impact than saying it happened in some exotic place.
    Then I see you don't understand our psychology at all. A black person is a black person no matter it's famous or not. But a beautiful woman no matter what colour she has is less probable to be the target of offences than an ugly white/black/yellow/green() person. ( which of course doesn't mean that her "assets " aren't marked with trivial expressions ).
    Well, this will be a never ending thread if it goes on like this. I see you're pretty persistent in your beliefs, so I won't try to refute that any more, because this is like banging my head against a wall or playing a trumpet in front of a buffalo, or something to that effect. But would you agree that what you describe as "we" Romanians could just be your and only your opinion, right? It's like you're just in complete denial that your fellow compatriots COULD be wrong. Give them a chance.

X-ecutioner, I blame you for changing my behaviour! Never in my life I turned my head to study a person. Even if they were a VIP or a woman whose outfit I wanted to copy. But yesterday I was on an escalator with a black guy ( fatality! haven't met one in flesh and blood for weeks ) and we were shoulder to shoulder so I couldn't see his face. Suddenly I became curious: how dark is he? Darker than a southern indian? So when we got off I turned my head and stared for a while. Then I thought: What if he's a member of some forum and he'll start a topic about a weird woman who looked at him as he was a rara avis?
    That should have been quite funny. Oh, and I'm used to things like these, so don't worry.

And stop calling me " man " and " mr. ". Everybody knows I'm a woman ( didn't dare to say "lady" ) and I might think you're a misogynist ( to use an euphemism for another type of discrimination).
    Oops, my bad. Didn't know you were a woman. Sorry, Ms. gadjo dilo.

This was really mean to say but what can I expect from someone without the minimal sense of humour?
    Well, you talk about "authentic" balkan sense of humor, but you fail to understand sarcasm? Oh the irony! Of course that wasn't meant to be serious! It was a sarcastic remark at you denying point blank that there is a teeny, tiny possibility of a bunch of Romanians being racist, and instead saying that the singer was lying. BTW, nice touch on the pics. I can find many disgusting pictures of Romania as well by using Google, but won't do that.

Well, this will be a never ending thread if it goes on like this. I see you're pretty persistent in your beliefs, so I won't try to refute that any more, because this is like banging my head against a wall or playing a trumpet in front of a buffalo, or something to that effect. But would you agree that what you describe as "we" Romanians could just be your and only your opinion, right? It's like you're just in complete denial that your fellow compatriots COULD be wrong. Give them a chance. .
    I'm also fed up with this. So, to quote com. Soric : Case closed!

Well, you talk about "authentic" balkan sense of humor, but you fail to understand sarcasm? Oh the irony! Of course that wasn't meant to be serious! It was a sarcastic remark at you denying point blank that there is a teeny, tiny possibility of a bunch of Romanians being racist, and instead saying that the singer was lying. BTW, nice touch on the pics. I can find many disgusting pictures of Romania as well by using Google, but won't do that.
    I understand sarcasm but I don't appreciate it. The balkanic spirit is characterized by chaos, black humour, sorrow, passionate love, ingenuity. We laugh at somebody's weakness or mistakes but we do this with understanding, sympathy and even fondness. Never condemn them. Our laugh is more like an extension of a general atitude towards existance than an explosion of joy.

According to DEX, in romanian sarcasm means "Ironie aspră, usturatoare; batjocura necrutatoare" -ask your wife to translate it, my english is too poor. Humour is meant to make you laugh, sarcasm has a dose of wickedness which is meant to "bite" and it hurts.

I bet you may find horrible pics. Matter of fact even I posted a few. However I confess I didn't associate them with disgust but with absurdity. And absurd things make me laugh...... A bitter laugh....

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    eh? gadjo_dilo is a gadja_dila?
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I understand sarcasm but I don't appreciate it. The balkanic spirit is characterized by chaos, black humour, sorrow, passionate love, ingenuity. We laugh at somebody's weakness or mistakes but we do this with understanding, sympathy and even fondness. Never condemn them. Our laugh is more like an extension of a general atitude towards existance than an explosion of joy.
    You're okay with black humor AND uncomfortable/inappropriate jokes but have a problem with sarcasm? Ahem, I really don't know what to say to that. So, it's okay for one to make idiotic jokes about a specific race's painful history, and laugh about it, but it all goes downhill when somebody dares to make a sarcastic joke about another specific group.

Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    eh? gadjo_dilo is a gadja_dila?
    Don't think that's the feminine term. But definitely I can't be a gadjika.

You're okay with black humor AND uncomfortable/inappropriate jokes but have a problem with sarcasm? Ahem, I really don't know what to say to that.
    Say nothing.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Gadjo, I have never for one thought you a racist....

Gee..all this nice stuff is getting to me...Glauistean and I agreed on something too....What is happening to me? lol...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".