Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew Wilson

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts

Matthew Wilson

Well, here i am again in this new home talking about an old subject

As i was one of the bigger critics of Matthew Wilson in WRC, now that the year is ended is a good ocasion to look at the things clearly and with facts.

I said many times that Matthew wouldn't do nothing special this year and he didn't. I expected by the middle of the year to give time, and also expectd by Wales to see how the boy would run on his home event. Nothing special happened... as I predictd.

And why this happened? Because Matthew could be a good driver, but not one of the best. If he would be one of the best ones he already would had done a rally that would catched our attention, but that really didn't happened. He could be WRC champion in the future, but with a big help from the staff that put him on WRC with 19 years... If i made me understand.

This post is specially dedicated to the ones that at the beggining of the year argued that Matthew would surprise all the world and would be WRC champion in one of the coming years. At the moment not a special driver, but an average driver.

Hope that someone learn the lesson, never expect neither promote more than one can handle, because that could be dangereous the someone's image. Hope Matthew make a good carrer and hope that some of his fundamentalist fans start to put the feet on the ground before talking. The good sense always was a virtue, but no acessible to everybody.
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree. At the moment he doesn't seem like the next champion. But at least he's not constantly putting the car off the road like some drivers do in their learning years.

The bottom line is that Matthew Wilson didn't kill anyone's babies to get into the WRC. If his father wants to spend money then I think it's good. Means more jobs for mechanics and such.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I guess everything has been said about Matthew, he has not ipressed, he has a good opportunity, he is in a long term prospect (5 years), he will have the opportunity once again next year.

It is not worthy to start discussing once again if he deserves this new opportunity more than other, he simple has it.

What we can talk, is what should we expect of him for 2007.
    Being second complete year, some top 5 times sporadically shoudl be welcome, as well as consistency in his times.
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 249 Times in 67 Posts
    It's better to go fast and wreck some cars sometimes in the learning years than to finish every event in nineth position, in my opinion. You only get to know your limits when you cross them.
    Ouninpohja!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrale
    It's better to go fast and wreck some cars sometimes in the learning years than to finish every event in nineth position, in my opinion. You only get to know your limits when you cross them.
    Easier to make a reliable driver faster than a fast driver reliable.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Not to mention it's a lot cheaper for the person who's paying the bills...
    RallyBase Rallying Results: http://www.rallybase.nl/
    WRC results and classifications 1973-2006
    Also with ERC results 1992-2005.

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Some might disagree with that but never the less ZequeArgentina is right let's talk about what should we expect of him for 2007.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    With a Focus WRC 06 he should be able to post regular top 10 times by the end of the year from the start of an event. I don't think there'll be more than a few points finishes at best, in rallies with a high attrition rate. If his father still has got faith in Matthew's abilities by then, in 2008 should be the big breakthrough if there's ever going to be a breakthrough...

MJW
    Mathew is the new Anthony Warmbold. Of the Brits Kris Meeke and Guy Wilks are far more deserving of a WRC drive. Mikkelsson set some good stage times on WRGB before visiting the scenery but Mads Ostberg was the most impressive of the newcomers in my opinion. Jari Matti was always class.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I just happen to be a fan of Antony Warmbold - always spectacular to watch and his stage times were nothing to be ashamed of in his third year. But I agree Matthew Wilson hasn't shown yet he can achieve a better level of performance than Antony. Jari-Matti has been showing class for a while now - if his development continues he'll be fighting for WRC wins before long.