Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Advice!

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts

TV Advice!

Ok, so thanks to winning some vouchers through my employers I have £625 to spend in Comet, and I am wanting a big new tv! As I was thinking of getting a new tv anyway so this has come at just the right time.

I had thought about this one http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro.../specification however googling gives a lot of horror stories about plasma screens having problems....... as really don't have a clue can you suggest anything?? I went into my local store (where I would have to buy it from, don't think I can use my vouchers online ) the other day and they have the same model and it is LCD, but it is £100 more. I'd prefer to spend a bit of extra cash myself to make sure I have something that is top quality, but obviously want it to last quite a few years for the cost of it!

I am not sure of the difference between plasma and LCD (though plasma sounds better, doesn't it? : ), does it matter?

The other option is that I get this one: http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/pro...NIC-TX-P42X20B which as far as I can see is the same but doesn't have the freeview/freesat HD, but given that I will have to get a sky hd box arranged that would have it anyway - so then I could have a few hundred pounds to get a home cinema sound/blu-ray system with.......

Ah, I have no idea! Any help please?
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I've also been thinking about upgrading recently..

There are pros and cons for each, so its really down to what performance categories are most important to you.
    My personal choice would be LCD (No burn in), 'Full HD'-1080p which is more future proof as opposed to 'HD ready'-1080i, but thats all I've decided on so far... hoping to hear some more educated views on this subject myself.

Have a look at http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml for the basics.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought LED was better than LCD. That's what someone told me. I'd love to be able to buy a new TV without having to learn about all this c**p and without discovering it's in some way lacking after I buy it.

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Panasonic is a great choice and if I were you I would go for the Full HD
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Plasma: Faster, smoother picture, no lag while watching fast action stuff like sports or action movies, since their response time is around 0.001 ms and the refresh rate on an average plasma TV is above 300-400 Hz. BUT there are still problems with burn-in. They consume more power, are more fragile, less bright during daylight etc.

LCD: Brighter picture. Are not as laggy compared to plasma as before, or as people would like to tell you. If you've watched movies on your LCD computer monitor and they look fine, they're going to look fine on the TV as well. They are brighter, have a more crisper picture. Contrast not as good as plasma. Refresh rate, response time all much lesser than plasma TVs, but LCD TVs have caught up in a big way. And this difference is minimal, almost not caught by the naked eye.

One good way to check this is to go to a TV shop, if you find the same size plasma and LCD next to each other, ask the TV salesman to play a Blu-Ray disc or any HD video on both TVs simultaneously, and then see the difference for yourself. I am going to buy this LG LCD TV soon. It's got a refresh rate of 200 Hz and a response time of 2 ms. VERY good for the price: http://www.lg.com/nl/tv-audio-video/...tv-42LD750.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by fandango
    I thought LED was better than LCD. That's what someone told me. I'd love to be able to buy a new TV without having to learn about all this c**p and without discovering it's in some way lacking after I buy it.
    LED TVs are nothing but LCD TVs with LED lights used as a way to light up the screen, instead of the flourescent CFL lights used in LCD TVs. This makes them brighter and consume lesser energy. Not worth the extra money, because they're too expensive currently. For the same size and criteria, LED TVs are up to $300 more expensive than normal LCDs in some cases. Stupid IMO.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Panasonic are a good TV make, I have one and I think it's great! And from what I've read people only have good things to say about them.

Not sure about Plasma as I've never tried it but I'd be wary of such a thing and stick to LCD . LED is indeed the future but it's a few years off competing directly with LCD on price at the moment.

One thing you may want to consider, the Panasonic Freesat TV's have an upgrade which gives you iPlayer on your TV (via the ethernet port at the back) whereas non-Freesat ones don't have that capability. But check on the freesat site first to make sure yours is supported.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Stay away from 60hz sets. You want a minimum of 120hz with 240 even better. That'll be my choice when I upgrade - unless something better comes out before then.
    In Europe, the equivalent is 50hz / 100hz

Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
    also, take into account the size of the room the TV will be used in. If it is going to be in a large area, such as a 'family room', then 42" or larger will work. In a personal room, such as a bedroom, it's too much and a 28" to 32" would be a better fit.
    Defend mediocrity... because excelence is just too hard to achieve. :p

Admin
    32" or less then you need not bother with HD as you probably won't notice the difference anyway!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Panasonic are a good TV make, I have one and I think it's great! And from what I've read people only have good things to say about them...
    Yep. We bought a 50" Viera about a year ago and and are quite pleased with it
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti