Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kobayashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S
    JPM also had the misfortune to be in F1 when Ferrari/Schumacher were in their purple patch... I miss Juan Pablo.
    What's there to miss? Montoya had a top car for his whole career and won some races and crashed some. Good driver but not a memorable one. These new heroes are better, more committed and in better physical shape. Talking about Kobayashi, to me he is getting better and better and is by far the best Japanese driver we've ever seen.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    Talking about Kobayashi, to me he is getting better and better and is by far the best Japanese driver we've ever seen.
    I recall an expression that goes along the lines of... In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King...

Long live King Kobayashi

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Kobayashi is the best Japanese driver yet, mind you the rest weren't great with exception of Sato, he was OK. Not great just OK.

K. Nakajima 2007-2009 36GPs
    Sato 2002-2008 93GPs
    Yamamoto 2006-2010 21GPs
    Ide 2006 4GPs
    Takagi 1998-1999 32GPs
    Nakano 1997-1998 33GPs
    Inoue 1994-1995 18GPs
    Noda 1994 3GPs
    T. Suzuki 1993 2GPs
    Hattori 1992 2GPs (0 Starts)
    Katayama 1992-1997 97GPs
    S. Nakajima 1987-1991 80 GPs
    A. Suzuki 1988-1995 88GPs
    Takahara 1976-77 2GPs
    Takahashi 1977 1GP
    Kuwashima 1976 1 GP
    Hasemi 1976 1 GP
    Hoshino 1975-1976 2 GPs
    Fushida 1975 2 GPs
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Fortunately for Kobayashi qualifying counts less in modern (2011) F1 than it did in the past and his qualifying results don't really seem to have much effect on his overall race results.

Leaving driving characteristics aside, Montoya achieved 7 wins in his career, so I think it would be quite a good career if Kobayashi reached that far. But JPM also had the luxury of spending the whole of his F1 career in top teams - let's see if Kamui can get close to that many good opportunities.
    I can agree with that. I am just saying that JPM could have been so much more had he been consistent....
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper_S
    JPM also had the misfortune to be in F1 when Ferrari/Schumacher were in their purple patch... I miss Juan Pablo.
    Juan was leading the championship in 2003 (he and Ralf were winning races in the middle of the season and for a while they looked unbeatable) and lost the lead.
    So even though Chewbacca and Ferrari were tops they were vulnerable in '03.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    Kobayashi is the best Japanese driver yet, mind you the rest weren't great with exception of Sato, he was OK. Not great just OK.

S. Nakajima 1987-1991 80 GPs
    Nakajima was blessed with having unreliable cars including as Piquet said of the Lotus 100T: "Perhaps one of the more disappointing cars I drove"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tI1eF1_LZs

If Nakajima had followed the Honda engines to McLaren instead of Senna, then his career might have panned out differently. I also wonder what would have happened to Honda had they entered in 1993... probably not much.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Yes, Kamui's (slight?) problem might be that he is not part of anyone's junior programme. He was part of Toyota, but they pulled out. I think he was actually a bit fortunate that he managed to step into F1 juuust right before the exit of Toyota, without that his career would have ended completely without getting noticed and only Toyota people would have known, how good he is (based on tests, simulator, etc).

Anyway... It seems like a common view that Ricciardo/Vergne are the future of RBR, di Resta and Hülkenberg are now both related to Mercedes, Ferrari has its own drivers as well as Renault/Genii/Lotus, etc. His main hope is that the drivers of those programmes turn out not to be good enough (meaning: he has to beat Pérez or whoever is paired with him), so he can convince that he is a better long-term bet than any of their own men.
    Current rumours are that Kobayashi is due to replace Webber for the second seat at RBR. Vettel was even asked directly in an interview on formula1.com about how he felt about having Kobayashi as a teammate. It would make sense for RBR to sign him to replace Webber as none of the other Red Bull junior drivers are good enough or have enough experience and the better rookies are already signed up, mainly to Mercedes.

Perez has strong Ferrari backing and if he proves himself decently quick might end up replacing Massa. He's in the Ferrari junior drivers project and has significant Mexican backing too.

So far though, Monaco apart I see little to suggest Perez has serious pace. Even in Monaco watching his qualifying he was so ragged he looked like an accident waiting to happen which sadly ended up being the case. I hope he improves, he needs to.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    If Nakajima had followed the Honda engines to McLaren instead of Senna, then his career might have panned out differently.
    The likelihood would have been zilch.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan H
    Current rumours are that Kobayashi is due to replace Webber for the second seat at RBR.
    Do you have a source for that?
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Infiniti???

I heard a rumour he was going to replace Massa...