Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

World Superbike 2010 season

well, yesterday was the round of the 2010 season, and in my opinion, it was not a bad season. sure Max Biaggi won it a round early, but there was some very close racing across the season, the main highlight for me being Johnathan Rea's double at assen.

It wasn't free from controversy either, Alprilla's RSV-4 and its cam driven gears causing a stir in the paddock being the main focus.

It also marked the end of Ducati's involvment as a factory squad after a pretty poor season imo.

What do you guys think about this season?
    Whats a uni?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    First up.... It was too short, we need more rounds!

WSBK is clearly the best World Championship going around. When you can have so many manufacturers together and keep the competition so close is amazing.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Five different manufacturers in the top five positions at years end - the formula certainly works!

It was a good season, perhaps not as engaging as the Haga/Spies chase of 2009 but still miles ahead of any other world championship.

Was happy to see Biaggi take the title - he's put the yards in since coming into WSB and is a worthy champion.

And it's still a damn good springboard into MotoGP. Whether that's a good place for a Superbike rider to go is a debatable point, though.
    Phantom... Bike Who Parks

"It's a tour, not a race... but don't get in my way while I'm touring!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    At the front I'd say it was a pretty strong season - while not as red-hot as 2009 the Biaggi/Haslam title fight was pretty decent although it was always likely that Aprilia would win out over the course of the season. Haslam has ridden superbly all year and deserves the praise he's been getting, ditto Max of course. Behind that Jonathan Rea had another great year, only denied third overall by injury to let Carlos Checa in. Mind you, Cal Crutchlow would've got him had it not been for inconsistent form early on.

Ducati's form was mistifying - sometimes right on it and sometimes nowhere.

The bigger question to be asked is, particularly with Ducati scaling back, where WSB goes from here. The grid - whilst healthy enough in 2010 - has thinned out a little and with MotoGP coming back to 1000cc machines the gap between the two series will certainly narrow. Ducati gave one of its reasons for pulling out as the increased cost of competing with relatively tech-y bikes ('prototype superbikes', as someone put it) which have arguably moved away from the spirit of the original closeness-to-production values of WSB (and is further exemplified by the existence of the Superstock classes). It's not an easy question to answer, but with MotoGP definitely moving to a more low-cost future all-round (look at the effect Moto2 has had on the WSS grid) WSB has work to do.

On track, though - great racing as ever.
    "Of course, what many people tend to forget is that Glen Richards was 2nd in the 1993 Australian 125cc championship" - Jack Burnicle on BSB at Snetterton, June 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WSBK - Stings like a bee!

Quote Originally Posted by patnicholls
    The bigger question to be asked is, particularly with Ducati scaling back, where WSB goes from here. The grid - whilst healthy enough in 2010 - has thinned out a little and with MotoGP coming back to 1000cc machines the gap between the two series will certainly narrow.
    MotoGP is heading toward the WSBK model as they see how successful it is. I think there are bigger problems in GP to deal with than issues WSBK have, but GP have decided on an if you can't beat em,' join em' approach.

2011 WSBK is shaping as a packed grid with quality teams/riders. It is pretty clear Ducati have put all their Duc's in the one basket with Rossi and needed to find cash in the form of quitting WSBK and right at a time when national rival, Aprillia have started to win. I am confident the Althea and Liberty Ducati squads will be strong in '11, but there will always be the excuse that they (Ducati) are not running Factory equip.

Aprillia have just secured its first riders and manufacturers title and no doubt intend to defend hard, along with having Nori Haga aboard its gear. Kawasaki are increasing its effort, BMW may have a second team, Yamaha and Honda will be there as ever and a question mark remains over Suzuki and whether there will be a second bike (even if under the Yoshimura banner).

GP have the history and the dollars on its side, but there has definately been a change over the last few years. It will be interesting to see how Melandri goes on his move to WSBK and there is fresh talk of Alex De Angelis moving to Ten Kate. With a few of the younger GP riders moving to WSBK anything could happen.

If only Suzuki had pulled the MotoGP program and gone WSBK..... Oh well, maybe the season after!

Pound for Pound WSBK is the Heavy Weight Champeen of the World!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WSB was terrific this year. The amount of variety at the top was fantastic and should be better next year. WSS is a worry tho. With SSTK 1000 and 600 I think there are too many feeder categories.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In rounding out the year, a few of the boys ran a test at Magny Cours and Laverty was fastest.

Unofficial Times: 1. Laverty 1m38.8s; 2. Haslam 1m39.2s; 3. Sykes 1m39.3s; 4. Corser 1m39.9s; 5. Haga 1m40.0s; 6. Fabrizio 1m40.0s

Haga was on his Aprilia, Fabrizio the Alstare Suzuki and Corser and Haslam on their 2011 machines.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
    It was a great year. Much different factory teams at the front and even a pole position for Kawasaki.

The only thing what I don't like is that there wasn't a race in the rain, even not in WSS, FIM Cup Superstock 1000 and the European Championship Superstock 600.