Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The V8 Supercars sound the best of the lot, but are very overweight dinosaurs in technological comparison. I would love to see the following combo:

* V8SC size engines
    * DTM body and chassis
    * BTCC drivers and peronalities
    * WTCC schedule and presence

The universe would explode at that I reckon.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorslammer
    The V8 Supercars sound the best of the lot, but are very overweight dinosaurs in technological comparison. I would love to see the following combo:

* V8SC size engines
    * DTM body and chassis
    * BTCC drivers and peronalities
    * WTCC schedule and presence

The universe would explode at that I reckon.
    hmmm, interesting. I'd be slightly different:

*V8SC or DTM size engines with DTM or V8SC NOISE (i really dont mind-both types are bl**dy awesome for TCs-a global TC engine but of V6/V8 size would be epic)
    *DTM style chassis
    *TC2000 'style' aero (aggresive but not fiddly like DTM which ruins racing IMO)
    *Stars from various tc series (people like giovanardi, plato, muller, priaulx, turkington, Tarquini, spengler, paffet, di resta, scheider, ekstrom, lopez, bueno, fontana, morbidelli, whincup, courtney all on the same track in the same series-I cannot describe the potential awesomeness of that without swearing) plus ex F1 stars etc would be cool to see giving it a go too-Jacques Villeneuve, Johnny Herbert, Romain Grosjean. I mean why not sportscar or gt drivers give it a go as well?
    *WTCC schedule and presence
    *V8 supercars style tv coverage
    *prominent media exposure
    *Races of length inbetween that of WTCC and DTM (2 races per weekend)
    *no reverse grids
    *no success ballast
    *more media presence
    *media presence
    *media presence
    *good stewards
    *high manufacturer interest

Well after that (frankly rather exciting) list of thoughts, prepare to see me open a 'your ideal ultimate touring car series' thread where we can bounce some ideas off the walls. all this thought of such a series has got me seriously energized. I'm a dreamer.

EDIT: also, NO hatchbacks. NO diesels. maybe some kind of green fuel mandatory though? if it was affordable and doable that is (maybe supplied by one company 'control fuel' I guess.) that kind of thing would go down well with the media and eco mentalists.
    Congratulations Sebastian Vettel. Champion of the season of seasons.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the BTCC switched to Skylines and Monaros etc, it would be brilliant - it worked a few decades ago

Much better engine sounds and far faster cars:
    [youtube]lvvm6lIIMFw[/youtube]
    [youtube]gKMHheBpRMc[/youtube]

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    The V8 Supercars sound the best of the lot, but are very overweight dinosaurs in technological comparison.
    I don't think that should matter one jot, except perhaps in terms of the relevance of such vehicles to the modern world, which should be a concern to any touring car series.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    HAs to be marketable if you want works teams and means relevant to road cars. In UK and Europe increasingly that means smaller capacity turbo-charged engines.
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    I don't think that should matter one jot, except perhaps in terms of the relevance of such vehicles to the modern world, which should be a concern to any touring car series.
    Well, another sticking point for me is the lack of variety in cars.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    V8SC all the way

DTM = glorified prototype racing. Most importantly, a V8 touring car shouldn't be 1100kg and the racing would be better if the aero regs were a bit tighter.

BTCC great for action and only if you have appreciation for very aggressive racing.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Well, another sticking point for me is the lack of variety in cars.
    Which is a fair point.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Well, I started watching BTCC two days ago and was very impressed from the many different cars. I also like the tracks very much, unlike in the WTCC which looks very similar, but with few different cars and tracks which are not so cool. DTM looks gorgeous, but again, only two carmakers and the racing is even more sterile than F1. V8SC is awesome, but the races are way too long, like a GT race. Also I don't like the fact that there are only two carmakers.
    Formula 1

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    V8SC is awesome, but the races are way too long, like a GT race. Also I don't like the fact that there are only two carmakers.
    Really? I find the races to be of good length generally - sometimes the officiating is a bit appalling in V8s, but I suppose that applies to a lot of racing series. At least races generally aren't wreckfests like BTCC can be.

One of the things that I do find lacking in the V8 supercar calendar is circuits that allow the cars to stretch their legs a bit. There's too many purpose built circuits on the V8 calendar that are flat as a tack and 3km long or shorter. There's Winton, Hidden Valley, Queensland Raceway and Symonds Plains, and to a lesser extent Sandown Raceway that all fall into this category.

I feel that the V8 Supercars are a little overgrown for the number of club circuits on the calendar.