Liked 678 Times in 474 Posts

A mistake of "Titanic" consequence?

After all these years it would almost be a shame to find out it was a coverup.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/...n_titanic_book

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Before you even got there, the biggest thing which contributed to the ship going down was a man with a red pen in an office somewhere.
    Costs were cut all over the ship because White Star presumably wanted lower the immense capital costs of arguably the three most expensive ships in the world at the time.

Of her two sister ship, HMHS Britannic struck a mine and was the largest ship lost during the Great War, but RMS Olympic led a full life and was ultimately scrapped so that funds could be made available for the Queen Mary (which you can stay on as a hotel ship. I did).

I find it strangely ironic that the former offices of White Star at 1 Cockspur St, Westminster are now the Texas Embassy Steakhouse.

What was once the White Star is now the Lone Star?
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Before you even got there, the biggest thing which contributed to the ship going down was a man with a red pen in an office somewhere.
    Costs were cut all over the ship because White Star presumably wanted lower the immense capital costs of arguably the three most expensive ships in the world at the time.

Of her two sister ship, HMHS Britannic struck a mine and was the largest ship lost during the Great War, but RMS Olympic led a full life and was ultimately scrapped so that funds could be made available for the Queen Mary (which you can stay on as a hotel ship. I did).

I find it strangely ironic that the former offices of White Star at 1 Cockspur St, Westminster are now the Texas Embassy Steakhouse.

What was once the White Star is now the Lone Star?
    It is ironic to be sure...

The Titanic was living proof man doesn't know everything circa 1910...and we would do well to learn that lesson on occasion when we figure have all the answers on a lot of things to do with nature and science...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    After all these years it would almost be a shame to find out it was a coverup.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100922/...n_titanic_book
    Doesn't make as good a movie
    All other opinions are wrong....

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Costs were cut all over the ship because White Star presumably wanted lower the immense capital costs of arguably the three most expensive ships in the world at the time...
    Sounds like the stakeholders had a sinking feeling that the firm was in jeopardy of going under. They had to do something to try to keep the company afloat. In the end, however, they did end up liquidating their assets.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti