Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's been some tweeting going on that leads me to believe that all is not as settled at the top two teams as I thought it was...

There will probably be a Rahal announcement at Homestead, although it may not be what we initially expected. Someone recently pointed out to me Graham still has a relationship with McDonalds as does Ganassi, its probably idol speculation but there could be something to it.

A lot of speculation comes from Graham's talking about working on a big deal that's finally done, and a tweet from Marshall Pruitt, who is about as well connected as possible, about, "A very skilled American driver's in position to join 1 of the 'Big Two' teams in 2011" But that doesn't have to mean ICS. Conor Daly has been very impressive in Mazda Star and I wouldn't be shocked if Ganassi or Penske decided to start a FIL team next year to bring him up... Although Graham has been chasing a deal with the big two like a champ for the past year or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDS
    Conor Daly has been very impressive in Mazda Star and I wouldn't be shocked if Ganassi or Penske decided to start a FIL team next year to bring him up...
    I would be very shocked if that happened. Both Conor and his dad have stated over and over that F1 is their goal. I would imagine that he will be over in Europe next year, what series I don't know. But then again maybe no one wants him over there?
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vintage
    I recall Battistini really struggiling on the road courses.
    In the Panther Lights car yes, they engineer quick oval cars and not road course cars it seems. Battistini won the Asian F3 series which is only on road courses so figure he has the ability and just needs the right car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Counter point

Andretti Autosport
    Marco
    Danica
    T Kanaan
    TBD
    -Look for a major team shake up if they do not get all their funding back for 2011. They want to secure RHR, but might loose him. TK might look to buy out his contract and go elsewhere.

Penske Racing/Team Penske Racing
    Power
    HCN
    TBD

Power and HCN are a lock. The third seat could be open, several drivers have talked to Cindric and the Capt. Justin Wilson might have an inside edge, as he barely lost out to Power, but RHR, Rahal, and Kanaan could end up in this prized seat.

Target Chip Ganassi
    Dixon
    Dario
    TBD

For the third straight year, the team is trying to get sponsorship for a third car, and the talk is they might just have it. RHR, Rahal, JR might have the inside track as the goal is to get an american in the seat.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
    Vitor

KVRT
    Ride buyer ~1
    Ride buyer ~2
    Ride buyer ~3

Look for Sato to return, with Mutoh, or who ever else writes a check.

Panther
    Graham Rahal
    TBD2

Ed Carpenter did himself well, and could end up in a second car, even if on a part time basis. Graham has first dibs on the seat. He he passes, look for Wilson or RHR. Kanaan might also be a long shot.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
    Briscoe
    TB2

Briscoe will head to this team, as time has passed with Matos. One interesting note has Simona in the second car, though it might be a rent a ride.

HVM
    Simona

Unless she gets picked up elsewhere, she should be beack, but money is a huge issue.

Conquest
    Baguett
    TBD

Baguett has secured his place for next year, but funding is very tight. The team hopes to keep key people in place.

FAZZT
    Tagliani
    TBD

Pagenaud has a chance for the second seat.

Newman Hass
    TBD 1
    TBD 2

Nuff said.

Dreyer and Reinbold Racing
    Conway
    TBD2
    TBD 3

AFS Racing
    TBD

Carrol or RHR, or?

Sarah Fisher Racing
    Fisher/TBD

Part time team unless more funding is found, and looking to rent the car for road races. That is IF funding can be found.

Dale Coyne Racing
    Ride buyer 1
    Ride buyer 2

Possible

Walker Racing Partners
    TBD

Hope Derrick can get funding for a car. Pagenaud would be his first choice.

Bryan Herta Autosport
    TBD

Unless funding is found, Indy only.

Rahal
    TBD

Servia if funding can be found.

New Team A
    TBD

An old owner has been making noise of having a team. Depends on $$
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFalzone
    Well, I still say it's surprising because... how does the IndyCar series rate on the sports/sponsor map? You're comparing it to NASCAR, but these days that's a ridiculous comparison. I'm just saying that it's surprising and nice to see a major sponsor like Verizon find value in the ICS, regardless of the fact that they are with a great driver/team. A lot of the "big" sponsors outside of IZOD have been around during the "Good" years and have sorta just tagged along now in the not so good years. To pick up a big new sponsor like Verizon in this slump is very good to see.
    Verizon gave Penske Racing a whack of money to sponsor Keselowski in the NW series and the rest for the Indycars.....

I think they may be surprised by the results from the IRL, but I don't know if they were real active in telling Roger to put Will in their car or not. I do think they gave Roger a check and said get us exposure for our brand and let Roger do the rest.

I think the Indycar sponsorship by Verizon was a throw in on top of the NW deal at Roger's insistence but it has worked out well.....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of the rumors that keep popping up is that Sarah Fisher will retire from full time racing to focus on building her team.

Supposedly Dollar General liked the response it got from sponsoring Graham and is considering upping or continuing its involvement in the sport next season but wants to be in markets like Alabama, Mid-Ohio St. Pete and Baltimore where Fisher isn't going to be competitive but an experienced road racer could be, like how Graham finished eighth at St. Pete. There are almost 1,000 Dollar General stores in Florida and Alabama alone markets they won't reach through the ICS doing an oval-only schedule.

Given the number of talented drivers looking for work it could make sense for Fisher to step aside for driver whose talents would be better suited to the current face of the ICS.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One of the rumors that keep popping up is that Sarah Fisher will retire from full time racing to focus on building her team.

Supposedly Dollar General liked the response it got from sponsoring Graham and is considering upping or continuing its involvement in the sport next season but wants to be in markets like Alabama, Mid-Ohio St. Pete and Baltimore where Fisher isn't going to be competitive but an experienced road racer could be, like how Graham finished eighth at St. Pete. There are almost 1,000 Dollar General stores in Florida and Alabama alone markets they won't reach through the ICS doing an oval-only schedule.

Given the number of talented drivers looking for work it could make sense for Fisher to step aside for driver whose talents would be better suited to the current face of the ICS.
    Seriously? If this is true, then, well, once again I guess we'll all be giving massive support to Sarah. She's clearly got a great talent in combining the business side with the racing side - dare I say it I struggle to think of any more than two other teams that can do it to this level. Great personality, a great sponsor who clearly sees the potential in both her and IndyCar. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing Indycar needs to be promoting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You mean a driver like JR Hildebrand?

You never know....

One thing for certain....DG wants a clean cut, wholesome American driver to sponsor. Its why they went along with Rahal. Its who will be in the car, once Sarah retires.

Unless JR gets a better offer, he's the best bet.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Update: Lotus confirms KV commitment and will expand to 2 (presumably both Lotus-branded) cars next year. Can only hope they get a better driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87051
    :champion: WRC3 championship, WRC4 championship, WRC4 PCWRC, WRC4 ERC
    Winner - TRD2 Bathurst:burnout:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by I am evil Homer
    Update: Lotus confirms KV commitment and will expand to 2 (presumably both Lotus-branded) cars next year. Can only hope they get a better driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87051
    Would it be fair to say PT probably has an inside line on one of those cars?

I would think that PT and Wheldon will be heavily considered. PT due to the connection at KV with Vasser, and Wheldon with the British connection to Lotus.
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!