Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Reputation system & avatars?

Why don't we have either?

A reputation system would make the forum a lot more fun! If you like a post, then put a thumbs up. If not, then thumbs down. I think this will cut out some of the immaturity and negative statements on the forum.

Also, putting racing avatars would be neat! As long as they're family appropriate I don't see why we can't have avatars. Putting your favorite driver on screen is always a pleasure.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    Why don't we have either?

A reputation system would make the forum a lot more fun! If you like a post, then put a thumbs up. If not, then thumbs down. I think this will cut out some of the immaturity and negative statements on the forum.

Also, putting racing avatars would be neat! As long as they're family appropriate I don't see why we can't have avatars. Putting your favorite driver on screen is always a pleasure.
    We had a reputation system here few years ago, and like in another forum I visit which tried it, it made the forums worse and Mark gave it up.
    It just moves the insults to even more anynomous place.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    We had a reputation system here few years ago, and like in another forum I visit which tried it, it made the forums worse and Mark gave it up.
    It just moves the insults to even more anynomous place.
    Surely members would use the facility correctly and not abuse it?

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skc
    Surely members would use the facility correctly and not abuse it?

You'd think! I tried it out back when we first upgraded to vb3 and it was a disaster almost from the start. It was used as a way to bully people and settle scores etc. Understandably those who ended up with a reputation of minus 1 million weren't too chuffed!

As far avatars I didn't really like the film. Well I just think they look a little messy but I've seen them used on other forums if the size is kept sensible. But people with inappropriate avatars would be hard to police and cause problems for the mods.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    I got a telling off on another forum for having a Swastika as my avatar for a bit. The mods knew the reason behind why I had it (part of a challenge) but apparently it might 'cause offence'

In my experience it isn't abused too much if you keep it to 100x100 pixels, people tend to censor themselves as to what is reasonable and what isn't
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    My avatar would be too big......

but i like the rating system, as i need some feedback on how big an a.........or...........or .......I be

Somewhere or somehow people can do personal insults without getting banned.

Indeed, maybe there should be a special forum called the "alternative to getting banned", or "your momma suks" or "the dumbutt forum" or 'jungleland" or "play room" or something that someone could think of....maybe "the hall of shame"

some say take it off the board and go pm, but then people whine over pms...get banned ------.wambulance city.

So you have a sub forum so when some calls someone an idiot, instead of poor pino having to spend hours fixing and neutering a post, ban someone then explain for another hour of why he did it, then get mad at me for making fun of his hard work, and yaydadadaboo dada, mr or ms pino can just pop it over there.

and there would be the record for all too see as to why someone got banned, finally.

Might become the most popular forum around here.....

That away everyone will get to see it....and respond and back and forth.

maybe even set it up with some special access code, like got to have been banned so many times to see it....
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    see poor starter would not have to even do this:

http://www.motorsportforums.com/foru...5&postcount=96

he could just pop them over to the special, and let them play.

Indeed, starter seems to be taking a kinder gentler approach these days.. ....gluistan is still around after he went way overboard recently.....
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NO AVATARS PLEASE!!!

On another forum, a friend of mine has one of a flimsy piece of material fighting a life and death battle with a huge pair of boobs to try and keep them under control. I just sit there for hours mesmerised........

We could do without all that thank you very much!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is the one!!!

Hours, and hours, and hours of fum. Mmmmmm.......

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

A vote for avatars.

I'm on a forum that has a rep system and it's a total joke. All it does is produce "post wh###s" and cliques that run around like school girls trying to build the rep of those in their clique. And like a little gang of vigilantes, they'll attack those they don't like with negative rep, but they only do it as a group. That way, if the person being attacked "neg reps" them all back, they just give each other positive rep to rebuild their point totals. It's silliness gone mad and I think it encourages very childish behavior.

But I REALLY would like avatars. I know there can be issues with what's allowable and in good taste. But set some rules, and just like with language, enforce the rules with warnings or bans. Most of us are here because we're racing fans. So I'm sure the overwhelming majority of the avatars would just be racing cars/bikes, drivers... and maybe the occasional pit babe.

I know Mark has some concerns about avatars and has for awhile. So might I suggest that we go for a trial period and then if it's a problem, just kill it?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith