Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where's the personalities?

I love WRC. It is the only sport where the top drivers are so accessible to us mere mortals. Where else would I be overtaken by a Yellow Pirelli Mitsubishi Evo covered in Sweet Lamb mud but in mid Wales on the road to Cardiff. But one thing really worries me... after Petter Solburg, where are the personalities.

Matt Wilson is a nice guy, but if he is the only hope of kick starting British Rallying then it is doomed. Surely his Dad's instruction to get the car back in one piece at all costs, does not apply still. I think I will start putting money on Matt coming 7th regardless of the opposition.

As much as I admire Loeb, he's really not Mr Carisma. Ogier and Sordo don't exactly have it and will the two Ford Finns ever be Champions of the People?

Time WRC learnt a bit from MotoGP. Mind you when Rossi hangs up his leathers in 2 years time after the Ducati anti-climax, goodness knows what MotoGP will do?

It's sad, but Motorsport needs celebrities to attract the masses.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Who is Petter solburg?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    There are quite a few personalities further down the field, but unfortunately it is rare to find someone 'fun' as well as quick. Block is a good example - a great guy and personality who shows off for the fans, but he's not very quick. Loeb is far more serious but is quick. Petter is the only guy who has both speed and likeability.

People like Al-Attiyah, Wittman, Araujo, van Merksteijn and van Eldik all provide good fun too spectators but don't threaten the top of the leaderboard.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You have the "other side" of personalities too, like Kimi, who seems angry all the time, along with maybe Duval and Pons? (from what I heard on rally radio)

Was nice to hear from Atkinson today, funny guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blissard
    And a very good driver, it sure would be good if he would get a seat for next year, if anyone so he would really deserve one.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandinsky
    I love WRC. It is the only sport where the top drivers are so accessible to us mere mortals. Where else would I be overtaken by a Yellow Pirelli Mitsubishi Evo covered in Sweet Lamb mud but in mid Wales on the road to Cardiff. But one thing really worries me... after Petter Solburg, where are the personalities.

Matt Wilson is a nice guy, but if he is the only hope of kick starting British Rallying then it is doomed. Surely his Dad's instruction to get the car back in one piece at all costs, does not apply still. I think I will start putting money on Matt coming 7th regardless of the opposition.

As much as I admire Loeb, he's really not Mr Carisma. Ogier and Sordo don't exactly have it and will the two Ford Finns ever be Champions of the People?

Time WRC learnt a bit from MotoGP. Mind you when Rossi hangs up his leathers in 2 years time after the Ducati anti-climax, goodness knows what MotoGP will do?

It's sad, but Motorsport needs celebrities to attract the masses.
    Schumacher is a household name and he has quite a cold persona in front of the cameras. Hardly what people would describe as charismatic.

The fact is that Loeb isn't a household name to the greater public and it's got nothing to do with his lack of results or charisma.

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Carisma!
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blissard
    You have the "other side" of personalities too, like Kimi, who seems angry all the time, along with maybe Duval and Pons? (from what I heard on rally radio)

It also depends on what you mean with "personality". In F1 Kimi was and is still seen as a character. Entering snowmobile races as James Hunt, passing out with inflatable dolphins, doing power boat racing dressed in a gorilla suit. Not many WDC do these kinds of things. But of course perhaps that character isn't what is implied here. In fact it doesn't seem like these types of personalities are so popular with WRC fans as it is with F1 fans, from what I've noticed.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    If you look to other forms of motorsport, there are few real charismatic people. C McRae, Rossi in MotoGP, Irvine in F1 a few years back and maybe a few others.

Galli had his moments, but maybe went a bit over the top, who else have we had over the years in rally ?

친애하는 지도자
    Liked 2,720 Times in 1,256 Posts
    i agree all the wrc needs to get the attention of the general public is a bunch of clowns so people can see their clown lives in them...